(RS) FR TE Julian Nixon enters the transfer portal

I think he’s a tweener to small to be dynamic at tight End & just not quick enough to play wide. I also think money moved him he would’ve got playing time here.All teams have collectives of some sort that are not connected to the University…wink wink. It’s the Wild West out there it will be hard to keep up with revolving rosters. IMO will dampen the spirit of my team my future alma mater college experience for the players and fans. We will still watch as always just looking at the program roster to keep up ad nauseam.

Probably just testing the portal to see what type of interest he gets. They've reported that 50% of players end up staying at their current school. As long as the portal allows players to test free agency every year, why wouldn't you? I would expect in the future most players will enter the portal every year. It's in their best interest.

If you go into the portal there’s no guarantee that they take you back. You go portal some teams may not take you back. Most players would probably know where they stand but if a better player comes up and the open scholly makes him signing Option you may be out.

These are the types of kids I wish would stay longer to develop. He's a talented player, but came in undersized as a TE and too slow for a WR. It's possible he could have been a really good SEC TE if he trusted the process and exercised a little patience and continued to work. Instead, he'll probably never be heard of again. Sad.

Reactions: ABINGDON VOL FAN
Yeah, from one perspective it is risky.

But from another perspective, maybe not. There are more variables in this equation than just good-bad. The lad's upbringing in the game of football may have given him skill sets that don't match well with the offensive approach Heupel & Co use. Or, it could have been a personality clash.

Neither of those reasons would indicate he has to drop to a lower tier of the sport to find success. Only get to a different team, with different players and coaches, and perhaps a different offensive philosophy.

We'll never know in detail what caused Nixon or the other lads seeking to transfer right now to believe their chances are better elsewhere. Just gotta acknowledge that they weren't likely to get meaningful playing time here, and wish them well at wherever they end up--as long as it's not one of our rivals, heh.

Go Vols!
I thought that out coaches designed things around the talent we have?

Reactions: VFL-82-JP
I thought that out coaches designed things around the talent we have?
I believe that they do. But to some extent, they have to go with the common denominator. If they have six players in a position group who are better doing things the A way, and only one better at doing things the B way, well, they can follow their own prescription, design things around the talent we have, and still have a lad who doesn't fit the system so well. See what I mean?

Not at all saying this is what's happening with Nixon (or any other portal user). Just saying it is one of the possible reasons for their move toward the door.

VN Store

Back