Roster pedigrees of SEC East as we head into 2020 season

SockeyeVol

Blue font might be needed
Here are the number of blue chips on SEC-E rosters, using 247 as a reference. Separated Frosh from Upperclass because I think it's the Upperclass blue chips that really carry the day. Sorry for the ugly list below, I could not figure out how to insert a table.

Team / Freshman 4* / UC 4* / Total
GA / 28 / 40 / 68
FLA / 14 / 25 / 39
TN / 15 / 22 / 37
SC / 12 / 14 / 26
KY / 10 / 10 / 20
MO / 4 / 2 / 6
VB / 0 / 3 / 3

TOTAL 83 / 116 / 199

Some things that immediately jump out:
1) Tennessee is not far off from FLA, and closer to FLA than any team below is to them. Even at both Upperclass and Frosh levels!
* Pretty even talent-wise, and well within the margin of error for assesments (whatever that margin may be).
* Fair to say it's going to be development and in-game execution/coaching that wins the day between these teams.

2) SC has a surprising amount of talent.

3) Mizzou and Vandy are seriously outmatched within this conference. Bummer for those fans.

4) I'm impressed that KY plays us close.

5) Georgia is utterly dominant in talent level, and the pipeline is strong.
* More upperclass blue-chippers (40) than any other team's total roster (39 for FLA).
* Basically as many freshman blue-chippers (28) as TN and FLA's combined (29).
* More freshman blue-chippers ( 28) than any other team's upperclass (25 for FLA).
* More than 1/3 of the entire Divisions blue chippers are at UGA (68 of 199).

6) If I wanted to play early, on a winning team, I'd choose TN or FLA. Not even close. Might be holding a clipboard at UGA, might have no bowl games at USC or KY.

Last edited:
Other than from 2008-2011, there hasn't been much of a talent gap between us and UF for the past 30 years. The only time that we've won back to back games was the only period where we had the better coach (Fulmer > Zook).

Spurrier > Majors
Spurrier > Fulmer
Urban > Fulmer, Kiffin, Dooley
Muschamp > Dooley, Jones
Sharkhumper > Jones
Mullen > Pruitt

Other than from 2008-2011, there hasn't been much of a talent gap between us and UF for the past 30 years. The only time that we've won back to back games was the only period where we had the better coach (Fulmer > Zook).

Spurrier > Majors
Spurrier > Fulmer
Muschamp > Dooley, Jones
Sharkhumper > Jones
Mullen > Pruitt

Not sure this statement will age well

Spurrier > Majors
Spurrier > Fulmer
Muschamp > Dooley, Jones
Sharkhumper > Jones
Mullen > Pruitt
For now I agree. The last one remains to be seen

Spurrier was in Fulmers head for years. Fulmer let the "Pucker Factor" affect his game planning and calling. Now we have lost to FL so many times FL is in our players heads just like we are in KY head. We lose to FL even when we have the better team and we beat KY even when they have had the better team (last couple of years). We need to break the cycle by beating FL a couple of years in a row.

Rosters are a pretty good stat but so many “other” factors affect the game. QB play / talent is probably #1 in my book. Then turnovers, injuries, weather, match ups of top talent (WR vs DB or OL vs DL) and of course in game coaching. That’s why they play the game.

As of right now, the final statement is true and not really debatable. It can obviously change though.
Of course it is debatable. The roster was a wreck when Jones was fired. He had a habit of signing overrated players, losing too many to injury or transfer, and then failing to develop the rest in anything like an SEC level fashion. If Pruitt doesn't start closing the gap... and especially after issues at QB are resolved then I think we can start drawing conclusions.

Of course it is debatable. The roster was a wreck when Jones was fired. He had a habit of signing overrated players, losing too many to injury or transfer, and then failing to develop the rest in anything like an SEC level fashion. If Pruitt doesn't start closing the gap... and especially after issues at QB are resolved then I think we can start drawing conclusions.

Anything is debatable but if you ask 100 unbiased people, you'd get 99 or 100 votes for Mullen. Doesnt mean it wont change but in 2017, a 4 win UT team was tied with a 4 win UF team with 10 seconds to go in the swamp. Mullen got a better situation but not to the extent of the 2018 and 2019 curbstompings.

If you look at MSU, Mullen inherited Croom's clusterF and that situation was far worse than what Pruitt inherited and MSU was top 15 at end of Y2.

Anything is debatable but if you ask 100 unbiased people, you'd get 99 or 100 votes for Mullen. Doesnt mean it wont change but in 2017, a 4 win UT team was tied with a 4 win UF team with 10 seconds to go in the swamp. Mullen got a better situation but not to the extent of the 2018 and 2019 curbstompings.

If you look at MSU, Mullen inherited Croom's clusterF and that situation was far worse than what Pruitt inherited and MSU was top 15 at end of Y2.
Florida talent wise was in far better shape than Tennessee

Mullen inherited a roster with about 20 guys that could be NFL players when he got there, and a roster full of already SEC ready guys. Pruitt inherited one with MAYBE 5, and barely any guys conditioned for SEC play.

Just because the records were similar does not mean the talent gap was narrow.

Florida talent wise was in far better shape than Tennessee

Mullen inherited a roster with about 20 guys that could be NFL players when he got there, and a roster full of already SEC ready guys. Pruitt inherited one with MAYBE 5, and barely any guys conditioned for SEC play.

Just because the records were similar does not mean the talent gap was narrow.

Every year on these boards someone posts a chart similar to the original post. In some years, I think last year may have even been one, the argument has been made that Tennessee has had more talent than Florida.

There is an insistence to continue to look at recruiting rankings as the final arbiter to determine who has more talent.

It's only after the game, the season, and the NFL Draft that people argue Florida had some sort of vast talent advantage.

And then the offseason arrives, and Tennessee has equal or superior talent again and Mullen can't recruit.

Prior to Dan Mullen, Mississippi State won 9 or more games in a season 3 times. Dan Mullen won 9 or more games at Mississippi State 4 times.

Mullen being a better coach than Pruitt right now is not debatable.

Not on Planet Earth.

Every year on these boards someone posts a chart similar to the original post. In some years, I think last year may have even been one, the argument has been made that Tennessee has had more talent than Florida.

There is an insistence to continue to look at recruiting rankings as the final arbiter to determine who has more talent.

It's only after the game, the season, and the NFL Draft that people argue Florida had some sort of vast talent advantage.

And then the offseason arrives, and Tennessee has equal or superior talent again and Mullen can't recruit.

Prior to Dan Mullen, Mississippi State won 9 or more games in a season 3 times. Dan Mullen won 9 or more games at Mississippi State 4 times.

Not on Planet Earth.

Amazing what Dak Prescott will do for a career.

Not on Planet Earth.
Maybe you should go to a Florida gator forum and tell all your buddies that, see if they give a ****. Cause we don’t. Not on planet Earth.

Not on Planet Earth.
the real travesty is that in talent rich Florida, you're that far behind GA.

i think it's funny that we're the bar you're measuring against.....we're the ones that have been playing catch up for 10 years. lol. we hired a 1st time head coach. you hired a guy that's been a hc in the sec for a decade. just on that alone, it's not really some mighty accomplishment to say he's a better head coach...no ish shirlock, he's actually been one................

as to the post you replied, it's not wrong as far as what type of situation both coaches walked in to....everything is relative. and i think if you just want to discount abilty based on the results so far, that's fine. but i think it's definitley TBD on both guys, relative to the gigs their currently in.

for you guys, winning 10 games isn't gonna be enough. winning the EAst isn't enough. beating TN isn't gonna move the needle...but losing to us would............................

losing to UGA will....

you're guy isn't being measured against Jeremy Pruitt. you're guy is measured against Urban Meyer and STeve Spurrier......

our guy...to say he has a bit more leash would probably be a massive understatement.

so, congratulations, your guy is a better head coach than ours. whoopity doo. it's sure gonna suck when he starts winning isn't it then?

Florida and Georgia are obviously in a higher tier than we are, but neither one of them are immune to screwing up royally and ruining the season by losing to us. We're not push overs any more. And I like getting Florida late in the season this year. I'm not convinced they can keep the pace they just set offensively and defensively they've shown some vulnerability and inconsistency so far. If I were Florida I wouldn't get too crazy about projecting the rest of the season based on one game.

Florida and Georgia are obviously in a higher tier than we are, but neither one of them are immune to screwing up royally and ruining the season by losing to us. We're not push overs any more. And I like getting Florida late in the season this year. I'm not convinced they can keep the pace they just set offensively and defensively they've shown some vulnerability and inconsistency so far. If I were Florida I wouldn't get too crazy about projecting the rest of the season based on one game.
i think if you put UF's offense and UGA's defense on the same team, that'd be a helluva football team.

lots of football left for everyone.....in a 10 game sec only schedule, you really don't have a choice but to take it one game at a time.

1601574935306.png

tenor.gif

i'll let y'all decide which one is which.......................

Not on Planet Earth.
@Freak

Reactions: SweetasSoda

VN Store

Back