Roster Construction

cbrown

I think what’s most puzzling about this team is the way the roster was constructed. There was no real point guard, no legit post player, and no real 3-pt shooters. It’s like the team was recruited solely to play defense. I’m all for emphasizing defense, but if that’s the only focus, that’ll get you to .500 or a little better, which is about what we were in-conference this year. When you consider those numerous shortcomings, how good was this team ever going to be?

A buddy of mine went to Texas and he said a criticism of Barnes (aside from his tournament record) was that he sold out in pursuit of 5-stars towards the end of his tenure. It’s a bit of a catch-22. You’re not going to say no to elite talents, but the best teams seem to have a fair amount of 3-4 year players that have been together for awhile.

It’s pretty obvious they thought Vescovi would be better at PG than he was, and they assumed Fulky would look like he did the year before. Obviously they misjudged on Vescovi as that was a year long struggle, I have a hard time faulting Fulky though, this whole da base expected more from him this year.

Next year the PG situation will be resolved with Kennedy. Bailey and Vescovi can be the shooters on the wing and can occasionally handle point responsibilities but neither is great defensively (Vescovi is actually better on D than Bailey despite lack of athleticism). Neither is reliable offensively either. Mashack can defend both wing positions (supposedly). Assuming Gaines is still here the is a question where he fits in rotation. We could use a transfer who can handle, and score on all three levels (and is tough) which isn’t easy to find.

James is an enigma. Can do a lot but he limits himself in my opinion based on how timid he is offensively. He needs to take a major step next year. Can defend, board, inconsistent albeit decent shooter, and also can handle some point forward responsibilities. Mashack and/Gaines possible backups.

We have a serious problem in the frontcourt unless we find some transfers who can play immediately. BHH would be a great addition but he alone isn’t enough. Doubtful but if Fulkerson comes back we can plug him in obviously but large questions with everyone else. Nkamhoua, Plavsic, Anoskie, Pember and Walker (the latter two may also play the 3) certainly haven’t proved they can play on this level consistently. Although we haven’t even seen Walker to be fair to him.

Overall, will one 5 star PG be more valuable than two 5 star wings? Possibly but our frontcourt liabilities as it currently stands (if Fulky leaves) is downright frightening on both ends of the court. We need some help otherwise it may be a struggle to get back into the tournament.

Next year the PG situation will be resolved with Kennedy. Bailey and Vescovi can be the shooters on the wing and can occasionally handle point responsibilities but neither is great defensively (Vescovi is actually better on D than Bailey despite lack of athleticism). Neither is reliable offensively either. Mashack can defend both wing positions (supposedly). Assuming Gaines is still here the is a question where he fits in rotation. We could use a transfer who can handle, and score on all three levels (and is tough) which isn’t easy to find.

James is an enigma. Can do a lot but he limits himself in my opinion based on how timid he is offensively. He needs to take a major step next year. Can defend, board, inconsistent albeit decent shooter, and also can handle some point forward responsibilities. Mashack and/Gaines possible backups.

We have a serious problem in the frontcourt unless we find some transfers who can play immediately. BHH would be a great addition but he alone isn’t enough. Doubtful but if Fulkerson comes back we can plug him in obviously but large questions with everyone else. Nkamhoua, Plavsic, Anoskie, Pember and Walker (the latter two may also play the 3) certainly haven’t proved they can play on this level consistently. Although we haven’t even seen Walker to be fair to him.

Overall, will one 5 star PG be more valuable than two 5 star wings? Possibly but our frontcourt liabilities as it currently stands (if Fulky leaves) is downright frightening on both ends of the court. We need some help otherwise it may be a struggle to get back into the tournament.
Hearing Fulkerson had told coaches he probably will be back. I hope.

It’s pretty obvious they thought Vescovi would be better at PG than he was, and they assumed Fulky would look like he did the year before. Obviously they misjudged on Vescovi as that was a year long struggle, I have a hard time faulting Fulky though, this whole da base expected more from him this year.
I also wonder how much is scheme. Springer shot 43.5% for the SEASON from 3 point line. No idea why we wouldn't run more sets for him to fire it up from 3 range.

We need at least 4 maybe 5 of our players to hit the transfer portal. We need a complete reload on this team. We need [even with the two we have already signed] another point guard, a couple of shooting guards, a center, and another power forward to join fulky. Vescovi, Bailey, and Uros should play no more that 10 to 15 mins per game if we are going to complete in the SEC! Those guys are not good enough shooter or good enough on defense to be SEC starter.

We certainly need to get more shooting. I don’t think we have a legitimate 3-pt shooter on the team.
I think 3 point shooting will look a lot better if we can find someone that can create for others. I would argue that was our biggest weakness this year. We had nobody who could draw a double team in the post and kick out to shooters. Jaden/Keon could drive effectively, but it was primarily to score and rarely a drive and dish.

Reactions: BreatheUT
A true PG and one that is elite will make this offense so much better. And we have that in Chandler. Definitely have to improve inside alot. Need a transfer big few already in portal. Faulk coming back healthy would be a great boost. Will be interesting to see who leaves Tn Program to Portal. In CHRIST Alone

Reactions: njvols
I hate to her Fulky is coming back. They force him to play inside where is cannot make it thru a year without constant injuries which limit his effectiveness. In all of his time here has never developed a jump shot. Barnes will use Fulky like a crutch inside and will probably not go sign a good inside player from HS or off the transfer portal.

Reactions: savannahfan
I think what’s most puzzling about this team is the way the roster was constructed. There was no real point guard, no legit post player, and no real 3-pt shooters. It’s like the team was recruited solely to play defense. I’m all for emphasizing defense, but if that’s the only focus, that’ll get you to .500 or a little better, which is about what we were in-conference this year. When you consider those numerous shortcomings, how good was this team ever going to be?

A buddy of mine went to Texas and he said a criticism of Barnes (aside from his tournament record) was that he sold out in pursuit of 5-stars towards the end of his tenure. It’s a bit of a catch-22. You’re not going to say no to elite talents, but the best teams seem to have a fair amount of 3-4 year players that have been together for awhile.

Well Barnes earned the right not to go on the road recruiting per one of his assistants (D Oliver).

“The good thing about being a veteran head coach,” Oliver said, “and I think every veteran head coach goes through this, is they’ve earned the right to not have to go out (recruiting) like second-year head coaches do and oversell their program and beg kids to come.

Assistant coach responds to UT basketball's recruiting critics

I hope he does. To me, Fulkerson is at his best offensively being active off the ball, finding openings, and receiving good passes. Not as much, back to the basket post player.

A legit PG in Chandler might allow Fulkerson to be the best version of himself.

Reactions: HalfullVol
Roster construction has not been Rick's strong suit lately. Hard to figure how he failed so miserably at boosting our post-player positions.
There's essentially nothing on the bench to back up Fulkerson so, when he goes down, it's a mortal blow to the team.

Well Barnes earned the right not to go on the road recruiting per one of his assistants (D Oliver).

“The good thing about being a veteran head coach,” Oliver said, “and I think every veteran head coach goes through this, is they’ve earned the right to not have to go out (recruiting) like second-year head coaches do and oversell their program and beg kids to come.

Assistant coach responds to UT basketball's recruiting critics
@bleedingTNorange did you read this? Proves my point Barnes is a Lazy recruiter

Those are their averages while being defended.
Thanks. The point I was trying to make is that neither of these guys affects a defense like a shooter you know you have to stay glued to. I was going to use Lofton as an example, but even guys like Lamonte Turner or JaJuan Smith could stretch the defense because they would take and make guarded 3’s.

VN Store

Back