Rose Bowl #6 Ohio State vs #11 Utah (5:00 PM ET)

Ohio State could have called timeout with three seconds left and kicked it on the last play. College football coaches need to take classes on game management.
True; it would only make sense if they had another TO to take in the event of a bad snap on the FG attempt.

Reactions: VAVol85
Ohio State could have called timeout with three seconds left and kicked it on the last play. College football coaches need to take classes on game management.

I had presumed stopping the clock at 12 seconds was more of a “in case there’s a bad snap or problem on the hold or something on the attempt, leave enough time that the holder could throw the ball out of bounds and they still try it again” move.

Does an offensive penalty get a runoff?
If the clock is moving. But under the scenario of Ohio State calling a timeout with three second left, then a ten second runoff wouldn’t have occurred because the clock would have been stopped because of the timeout.

Reactions: VAVol85
I had presumed stopping the clock at 12 seconds was more of a “in case there’s a bad snap or problem on the hold or something on the attempt, leave enough time that the holder could throw the ball out of bounds and they still try it again” move.
I understand, but I’d much rather kick on the last play. Outside of the Romo debacle against the Seahawks, I can’t recall an issue with a snap/hold on a game winning FG attempt.

Gotta wonder if Ryan Day let his emotions call that TO early?

Certainly he's a very good coach but I can't imagine Saban or any NFL coach not letting it run another 5 seconds, at least.

If the Chicago Bears are looking at Day, hmmm.

What a game!!! Almost 700 yards of total offense by Ohio State...... and right at 350 receiving yards by Smith-Njigba...

I understand, but I’d much rather kick on the last play. Outside of the Romo debacle against the Seahawks, I can’t recall an issue with a snap/hold on a game winning FG attempt.
GT had a FG blocked on 3rd down, recovered the loose ball and kicked again to beat UGA. Still makes me smile to remember it!

300+ yards receiving by 1 player…500+ yards passing..and I thought our DB’s were bad[

I don't think Utahs DB's were that bad......It's not every week you get to face a QB like CJ Stroud and WR's like they have, especially Smith-Njigba.... There was a reason why he tore up the best big school hs mecca in America, the Dallas metroplex.

If the clock is moving. But under the scenario of Ohio State calling a timeout with three second left, then a ten second runoff wouldn’t have occurred because the clock would have been stopped because of the timeout.
The clock would start on the snap, so technically if he got a grounding penalty I believe there would be a 10 second runoff.

VN Store

Back