Rodney Garner may be next

There’s nothing wrong with that philosophy. You can win like that. You just have to execute.

Tennessee didn’t suck in 2020 because of philosophy. They sucked because they didn’t execute. Of course, the bigger debate is why they didn’t, and I’m willing to believe all sorts of reasons.
I agree if you’re just wanting to win 7 to 9 games in the East that philosophy can work. If you’re wanting to win Championships, then it’s outdated. In this era, you’ve got to score points to compete with the the big boys.

they didn’t execute
My theory is that over the last year or so, Pruitt made some staffing changed to replace good coaches with good recruiters who he thought could also do a little coaching. Now he seems to be going back the other direction to look for guys who are first good coaches, but can also recruit.

Does this mean you're in the "Fulmer's Conspiracy Coup Crew"? :) I have no doubts Fulmer is sitting in on meetings and whatnot, but I don't believe he's looking to take things over again. I think that's ridiculous. I also think he needs to step down, however, and try to get someone else in that knows how to run an AD. Fulmer was the right answer when we needed it. But that time is passed now and we need a TRUE AD in the worst way.
I jest, partly. I've always liked Fulmer and I thought we made a mistake firing him, but I must confess, the way this thing has played out with the investigation and the leaks, I do wonder if he means to assume the reins again.

I’m all for loading up with Defensive assistants, but if Pruitt is back, when are we going to address the problem? Quarterback coach, OL coach and OC. This just furthers my belief that Pruitt subscribes to Fulmers beliefs. Run the ball, play clock management and play great defense.
I get this, but look back. Fulmer put up tons of points for that era. He won the job from Johnny Majors because he was not conservative and knew how to put our foot on team’s throats to finish them. Fulmer’s teams whooped teams a lot of times by 20+ points. We were one of the most feared programs in all of college football.

Matt Daniel is reporting.... Lmao.

That guy is just a Vol football fan boy. He isn't a reporter. He knows nothing at all.

Exactly. Twitter has given every Jimmy & Joe the ability to put "reporter" in their bio and act like they've got sources.

Us hiring Steele & Garner was never going to be a surprise, so "breaking" this news isn't anything special lol.

Reactions: BreatheUT
I get this, but look back. Fulmer put up tons of points for that era. He won the job from Johnny Majors because he was not conservative and knew how to put our foot on team’s throats to finish them. Fulmer’s teams whooped teams a lot of times by 20+ points. We were one of the most feared programs in all of college football.
And we were able to put a lot of points because we had a great defense, that routinely forced 3 and outs and turnovers. In today’s game though offenses are going to put up points no matter how good your defense is.

IMO, I don't think you can any more. Not in modern college football. Alabama used to be ALL about defense. But, look at Saban now.

It's pretty clear now that an elite offense in 2021 beats an elite defense 10 times out of 10. The best you can hope for is to slow down the offense just enough if you have a high powered offense, too.

I mean look at Georgia this past season. The media was drooling over their defense and they were by far the most talented defense in the NCAA (IMO) but they still couldn't slow down Alabama.

You can't win championships playing 1990s football in 2021. Adapt or die as they say. We need a drastic overhaul to our philosophy. If Pruitt wants to stick around long term, he will have to learn that otherwise he'll be gone in 2 years regardless of how good the defense is.

Yep. Part of it is the way the game is evolving. The targeting rule is a perfect example. You can’t light guys up coming across the middle anymore. Also, pi is only really ever called on the defense and puck plays are all but allowed. It’s an offensive game for sure

Exactly. Twitter has given every Jimmy & Joe the ability to put "reporter" in their bio and act like they've got sources.

Us hiring Steele & Garner was never going to be a surprise, so "breaking" this news isn't anything special lol.
Not much different then the real reporters any more though.

Reactions: cobbwebb0710
Actuallly when Phil was OCing he was considered innovative. We had receivers and RB's that could catch the ball out of the backfield AND WE USED THEM. Yeah we had some good defenses for sure...but our offense was high octane. Now...in the fourth quarter inside 10 minutes with less than a touchdown lead...you can bet the ranch we were going on a 6 minute (at least) drive running the ball and our OL was going to maul you. Make it a two score game and we walked out with a win. Saw us do it dozens of times.

Reactions: BreatheUT
IMO, I don't think you can any more. Not in modern college football. Alabama used to be ALL about defense. But, look at Saban now.

It's pretty clear now that an elite offense in 2021 beats an elite defense 10 times out of 10. The best you can hope for is to slow down the offense just enough if you have a high powered offense, too.

I mean look at Georgia this past season. The media was drooling over their defense and they were by far the most talented defense in the NCAA (IMO) but they still couldn't slow down Alabama.

You can't win championships playing 1990s football in 2021. Adapt or die as they say. We need a drastic overhaul to our philosophy. If Pruitt wants to stick around long term, he will have to learn that otherwise he'll be gone in 2 years regardless of how good the defense is.
Defense wins championships. Always has, always will. I guarantee you that Saban no more wants to get into a scoring duel than anyone else. They were missing LB's this year that they normally have. Scoring duels are tossups many times.

I hope this is true. Garner can coach and recruit both. His 1997 recruits help win us a national championship.

I jest, partly. I've always liked Fulmer and I thought we made a mistake firing him, but I must confess, the way this thing has played out with the investigation and the leaks, I do wonder if he means to assume the reins again.
I know you're kidding. I never was on the FIRE HIM NOW wagon, but I certainly wish he had've stepped down a la Lloyd Carr, "for the betterment of the program." I just can't get on board with him trying to coach again. He's been out of it too long, and if he jumps on it, then it makes me wonder just who he's listening to for advice other than himself. He proved (to me) that he's nowhere near as good of a coach without Cutcliffe. I just don't think he's got it in him anymore, and I'd like to think he knows that, but he wants to help football as much as he can. I just think he needs to settle it down and go back to being a granddad. He's really good to his grandkids and loves spending time with them. They used to go to preschool at my church and he would come pick them up every now and then (pre-AD days, of course) and go out on the playground and just play with them for a while before leaving. I even got to meet him one day when he was picking them up. I have nothing but respect for the man as a person and all he poured of himself into this program over many decades, but when your time is up, it's up. I guess it's hard for some people to recognize that within themselves, though.

Reactions: unfrozencvmanvol
If Pruitt is gone after all the NCAA stuff. I would hire Freeze and if not Freeze then Tee Martin. Surround Tee with alot of good coaches.

Defense wins championships. Always has, always will. I guarantee you that Saban no more wants to get into a scoring duel than anyone else. They were missing LB's this year that they normally have. Scoring duels are tossups many times.

Not so sure that is true in college FB any more.:rolleyes:

College Football Playoff Championship History
Alabama 52 - Ohio State 24 (2020)
LSU 42 - Clemson 25 (2019)
Clemson 44 - Alabama 16 (2018, Admittedly the Clemson defense was good, but the offense won them the game)
Alabama 26 - Georgia 23 (The lowest scoring game of the past 6 years)
Clemson 35 - Alabama 31 (2016)
Alabama 45 - Clemson 40 (2015)
Ohio State 42 - Oregon 20 (2014)

So, the lowest scoring output for the champion was 26 points, but 5 of the 7 games the champion scored over 40 points. I could also post the semi-final scores if I wanted to to highlight the OU/Georgia shootout, the dismantling of OU by LSU, the OSU/Bama 2014 game, etc.

My point remains, defense no longer wins championships. Offense does.

VN Store

Back