Robert Meachem or Kelley Washington?

Dude (KW) acted like an earthquake hit on his first catch as a Vol if I remember correctly. I could be wrong , just the way I remember it. Silly dude from the start.

Meachem imo. RM was also a key contributor for the Saints when they won the super bowl in 2009.

Kelly Washington was the most athletically gifted receiver Tennessee has ever had, but as they say, "your most valuable skill is being available." what happened to Washington was not fair, but he wasn't the best personally i heard. you would have to get to his team mates to know the truth, but i can tell you i jumped up and down when he went to cinci, bcause it was short drive to see him play. he was never the same btw. the injury killed his career.

Someone asked Fulmer who was the best athlete he saw at Tennessee while he was there, he said “Carl Pickens”

Reactions: Frozevol
Yes, and sadly that ended up being about 17.5% of his total career receiving yards.
I don’t know if there’s an ounce of truth in this, but I was told by a Gibbs Hall RA of the time that Washington played a huge roll in convincing Stallworth to turn pro early so he could be WR1. If I remember correctly, Stallworth got cold feet about the NFL shortly after announcing, but had already signed with an agent.

Kelly Washington was the most athletically gifted receiver Tennessee has ever had, but as they say, "your most valuable skill is being available." what happened to Washington was not fair, but he wasn't the best personally i heard. you would have to get to his team mates to know the truth, but i can tell you i jumped up and down when he went to cinci, bcause it was short drive to see him play. he was never the same btw. the injury killed his career.

I didn't get to watch Washington play. Would you say he was more athletic than Patterson?

Reactions: IluvdoubleD's
I didn't get to watch Washington play. Would you say he was more athletic than Patterson?
I would say Washington was more athletic, but Patterson was more consistent. Washington was a very, very good combat receiver. A lot of Washington’s mystique is based on practice though. In those days the press could watch practice, and every day for almost two years you’d hear stories of Washington dominating practices as a WR and QB. Dominating UT’s defense is those days was no easy feat. Washington was a lot of fun to have on the team until he wasn’t

Patterson could run like the wind, you could not catch him. that was his athletic ability. those who knew said there was NO plan. They gave him the ball and said "run forrest, run!" Dude was untouchable. It was all running tho.

i still remember the first time he touched the field tho. "welcome to college football corderrell Patterson!"

Last edited:
Reactions: N.ohio vol
I have nothing against meach, but I remember Washington., and I don't remember meach plays as much. as I do remember meach tho, as a whole. I didn't know either but, meach seemed like a better person, while washington was pushing buttons. i can say with confedence I think washington would have been one of the best who were ever talked about, if not for the injury.

No and it’s not even close. Patterson was only another level as far as athletic ability. Washington was good but he was not as athletically gifted as Meachem and certainly wasn’t in Patterson’s league.

Reactions: KillaRed54
Washington was the better athlete by far but lacked many things two of which are experience and raising. The bulk of his yardage against LSU that record setting game came on a single play when the corner and safety bit on a pass and left him untouched for that touchdown.

Any body remember him stepping out of bounds instead fighting for a first down against Florida?

Was there any truth to the drama involving Kelly Washington misleading Donte Stallworth into leaving for the draft?

VN Store

Back