Robert Meachem or Kelley Washington?

Had Washington had a better attitude, and been more of a natural receiver (and stayed healthy of course) he could have been the best ever. Big, strong, and fast.

Meachem is one of my favorite receivers ever. He was a smooth operator out there and had size (almost 6' 3") and speed (ran a 4.39 in the 40 in one of his NFL combine times). He was a very polished receiver with all the tools you want in a wide out, so I will go with him.

Was there any truth to the drama involving Kelly Washington misleading Donte Stallworth into leaving for the draft?
I never questioned the veracity of that story because I always heard the same version. They agreed to take the same path. Either they both declared, or they both returned. Washington persuaded Stallworth to declare. He then chose to return, but Stallworth had already hired an agent which prevented him from returning. It also fits a pattern of selfishness. As far as Washington vs. Meachem, the answer would be Meachem even if Washington weren’t an ass. Yes, Washington has the single game record, but Meachem blows him away in basically every stat at both the college and professional levels.

Reactions: give_him 6
I recall a rumor about Washington’s injury was from Witten throwing him against the wall in the locker room for being so self centered and not a team player.
Given what we know about Witten now and then, totally believable plus it came from one of the local TV sports reporters at the time.

Kelly Washington was the most athletically gifted receiver Tennessee has ever had, but as they say, "your most valuable skill is being available." what happened to Washington was not fair, but he wasn't the best personally i heard. you would have to get to his team mates to know the truth, but i can tell you i jumped up and down when he went to cinci, bcause it was short drive to see him play. he was never the same btw. the injury killed his career.
Give me Alvin Harper, Joey Kent, Robert Meachem, Carl Pickens and Peerless Price all day long over Washington.

Reactions: BigOrangeTrain
Meachum was a 2,000 yard receiver his senior year and I will never forget him being unstoppable against California in the 2006 opener. That game was a total beat down and California was in the discussion for National Championship contender.
Taking hitch routes and a spin move twice to the house.

Reactions: I Love Lamp
I recall a rumor about Washington’s injury was from Witten throwing him against the wall in the locker room for being so self centered and not a team player.
Given what we know about Witten now and then, totally believable plus it came from one of the local TV sports reporters at the time.
Casey Clausen told this story to Tony Basilio in 2004:

In the 2002 Arkansas game, KW was tipping off the defense as to whether we had a run or pass called when we broke the huddle. If we had a passing play called, KW would line up hunched over with his arms out in front of him. If we had a run called, KW would be lined up vertically, with his arms by his side. The Arkansas staffed picked up on this, and so did the ESPN crew calling the game. They discussed it on air. Sanders told KW to be aware of what he was doing and stop it. However, the next drive, KW was doing it again. It never actually came to blows, but Witten did tell him to knock it off, or it would.

Fwiw, Witten caught the game winner that night during a multiple OT game.

Washington was the beginning of the downfall of UT football.

Pre-injury I'd say Washington. Mecham obviously had a better career but KW was more physically gifted

VN Store

Back