Road focus: did we improve? Comparing Bama / Florida

BruisedOrange

Well... known member
Kentucky will be our third opponent in loud, hostile environs. In our first such test, we made a ton of unforced errors, further putrifying the Swamp. Against Bama, we still had a lot of unforced errors. CJH calls them "small things" and maybe they all fit under the umbrella of focus-related.

But did we improve?

I know we fans cannot know how many times an individual missed his assignment, or misread a defense or a formation. But for those who like to (and have the time to) dig through the available stats, please accept this invitation to post numbers you find relevant to the question:

In the area of unforced errors, are we getting better with our road game? If we're trending, what would be your projection for our performance against Kentucky?

Last edited:
Reactions: savannahfan
We’ve actually played well on the road so far, except for the false start penalties of which at least one against Bama should not have been called ( another post for another time). I think the off week and getting some key players healthy will be huge for our game vs. the Cats. Their defense is stout so we need both Mays brothers and Evans healthy to win in Lexington

The noise definitely hurt the OL with some false starts. We shouldn’t have to worry about that at Kensucky since Kroger is 2/3 the size of Bryant Denny

UK will NOT be as loud as Bryant Denny-- also, remember that UTC (my alum, Go Mocs) nearly knocked off UK there earlier this year and would have done so had it not been for a panic throw by UTC's QB resulting in a 94 yard pick-6 for UK. If we get ahead on them with this offense, I don't believe--based on history--that UK's fan base is loud and rowdy enough to will them back into it. I'm not calling a W yet, but I'm much more confident than I was two games ago. Again, the key is keeping our players fresh and healthy. We are so razor-thin as a whole that we just don't have much room for subs at all and they could wear us down with their depth (which isn't spectacular, but certainly deeper than we are at most positions).

Look at last years film,, look at this years. Its night and day,
QUALITY DEPTH at the 2nd and 3rd string are the issue..
there is not 1 player on Tenns Roster at the 2 team position that would crack the 2nd team depth chart at AL or Ga.
When your 3rd team is MORE TALENTED than the other teams 2nd team, such as Alabama over Tenn was, you will win almost every 2nd half and certainly in the 4th.

Tenns defense, already very thin, played almost 190 snaps against Ole miss and Bama and they literally ran out of bodies and gas in the 4th qtr.

This team is improving, especially if you look at last year till now.

We are 4- 6 years away. I would say 3 years if there was no NCAA thing...

Reactions: savannahfan
UK will NOT be as loud as Bryant Denny-- also, remember that UTC (my alum, Go Mocs) nearly knocked off UK there earlier this year and would have done so had it not been for a panic throw by UTC's QB resulting in a 94 yard pick-6 for UK. If we get ahead on them with this offense, I don't believe--based on history--that UK's fan base is loud and rowdy enough to will them back into it. I'm not calling a W yet, but I'm much more confident than I was two games ago. Again, the key is keeping our players fresh and healthy. We are so razor-thin as a whole that we just don't have much room for subs at all and they could wear us down with their depth (which isn't spectacular, but certainly deeper than we are at most positions).

. "Again, the key is keeping our players fresh and healthy. We are so razor-thin as a whole that we just don't have much room for subs at all and they could wear us down with their depth (which isn't spectacular, but certainly deeper than we are at most positions).[/QUOTE]

This all day

Considering we have played against 3 of the top 4 Heisman contender QB's and should have beaten 2 of them, we have progressed each week.

If Evans and Mays are both back at close to 100%, we win by double digits.

If both are out it will be a toss-up. MO

VN Store

Back