Rivals: Is Pruitt recruiting better than Butch?

I think he’s definitely recruited at the same level or better as Butch but the development has been the difference. Night and day between Butch and Pruitt in that department. Looking forward to what this year brings! GBO

Reactions: Tennesseefan2019
Average player ratings have been similar with the exception of the 2019 class which was quite a bit higher, so Pruitt does get the edge. However, the biggest difference is development, as you said. The 2014 and 2015 classes each had players who we thought would be game changers, but Jones and crew couldn't get the most out of them. I think Kyle Phillips and Nigel Warrior are even better examples than Taylor. Phillips had one year under Pruitt and looked better than ever. Jones and crew didn't know what to do with him. Warrior had his struggles, but he was one of our best defenders by the end of last season.
Additionally, one other highly annoying factor about Butch was the high rate of defection in high rated players in first year or two, causing us to be permanently “young”.

Yes. I’m going by star average of Pruitt and Butch’s classes on rivals. Pruitt’s last two classes have been higher than any of Butch’s. Pruitt’s players are contributing earlier as well. Not sure if you would identify this as recruiting or development or both.

Here are the latest 247 Sports College Football 2021 recruiting class rankings

247 Sports 2021 College Football 2021 recruiting class Top 10

1-Ohio State
2-Tennessee
3-North Carolina
4-Florida
5-Clemson
6-Iowa
7-Miami
8-USC
9-Minnesota
10-LSU

2021 Football Team Rankings

That’s great for now since we have the most commits, but once it gets later the ranking will drop down unless plenty of 3 stars become 4s. Average is under 90.

Reactions: Purple Tiger
I am 43 years old. Have been a Vol fan since birth, orange football in the picture from the hospital when I was born.

Pruitt has done the best job at recruiting to NEEDS that I have ever seen at UT. Period.

Glaring weakness was the trenches. We couldnt stop anybody, and couldnt score from 1st and goal at the 2yd line. Ever.

Pruitt recruits 13 big uglies in 1 class. Including bookend 5star OTs that play from day 1... 15th ranked class.

Got the lines squared away, recruits two high 4 star WR including Hyatt who will be the fastest on the team day 1. Also lands a bigshot QB, four!! 4 star LBs, and good DBs.
10th ranked class.

So far has landed 8 players in the last 8 days who will finish as either 4 or 5 stars in the final rankings. Bluechip RB, and no1 JUCO RB as well. Class currently ranked No2 nationally, will finish between 5 and 10th when all is said and done IMO. That 6ft7in OT we landed today was very important.

Butch landed some highly ranked kids...but didnt know how to use them, develop them, or necessarily need them at the time. He was a stargazer and a terrible coach.

Pruitt is gonna lead us back to titles. Not overnight, and never every year...there are too many bigtime programs. He is the best coach we have had since Fulmer though.

Watch what our RB do this season with Graham back as RB coach and with a good to great Oline....

Go Vols

Butch's approach to recruiting was to identify elite players and recruit them hard regardless of positional need. Pruitts approach is to take a strategic look at the roster and recruit players for the present and future.....For example, Jones was never particularly interested in stockpiling DB's in the manner that Pruitt does. There are usually 5 or 6 DBs on the field at a time in CFB today and Pruitt and he's made that position a priority....Pruitt has done a phenomenal job of creating sustainable depth at almost every position...Jones' recruiting would center around 4-5 high profile splash signees regardless of what the team was missing to be great......

Reactions: Gandalf
I'll never forgive Butch for Letting Kamara sit on the bench. And for kicking that field goal on the one yard line versus Oklahoma...I'm still sick over that.

I’m surprised Nicky hasn’t filed a complaint with the SEC stating that we now have a recruiting advantage over Alabama due to him being technologically challenged.

IMO, the biggest difference in the 2 was that Butch just focused on the star rating and class ranking, which most Vol fans bought into. But what quickly starting showing up was the players he recruited that did not fit his schemes, Hurd and Dormandy, are examples. Neither fit the offense Butch ran and promised both he would change it for them but did not Pruitt's recruits fit his schemes no question and have a chance to be successful. Never understood how he convinced a drop back passer like Dormandy to come to TN. Lies???

Is there a link to this or is it a rumor? I thought TL just saw greener grass and wisely went there.

Butch shifted his focus to Emory Jones and told Lawrence that he wouldn’t be a good fit for his style of play.

Lawrence the same guy who idolized Peyton Manning and liked Tennessee growing up.

VN Store

Back