RIP Pat Dye

I thoroughly enjoyed every win over Auburn during his time cause they were a damn good, tough football team. RIP, Coach.

“We gotta get something to hang our hat on” - Pat Dye at halftime of the 1985 Tennessee-Auburn game.
They had physical running attacks with lightning fast defenses from 1983-1989. He was obviously buying players, though. It's hard not to hold that against his legacy. Aside from football, Dye was a southern gentleman with a good sense of humor. Sorry to hear of his passing. RIP.

Reactions: BUBear
They had physical running attacks with lightning fast defenses from 1983-1989. He was obviously buying players, though. It's hard not to hold that against his legacy. Aside from football, Dye was a southern gentleman with a good sense of humor. Sorry to hear of his passing. RIP.
They all buy players. The ones that get caught are just too conspicuous about it or are making waves at a school that isn't "supposed to" via cheating (like Hugh Freeze).

They all buy players. The ones that get caught are just too conspicuous about it or are making waves at a school that isn't "supposed to" via cheating (like Hugh Freeze).
No... I don't accept that. Terry Bowden has talked about how when he took over, he was confronted with a payroll ledger with about ten players who were being financially compensated and he had to instruct his bag man to pay it off in full and not to ever make such obligations again. This kind of blatant cheating doesn't happen everywhere. It happened under Pat Dye.

I thoroughly enjoyed every win over Auburn during his time cause they were a damn good, tough football team. RIP, Coach.

“We gotta get something to hang our hat on” - Pat Dye at halftime of the 1985 Tennessee-Auburn game.
Back in the 1980s when I lived in Metro-Atlanta I always watched the Johnny Majors Show, Pat Dye Show,Charley Pell Show,Galen Hall Show and Bobby Bowden Show every Sunday night on Channel 36.

Reactions: BUBear
No... I don't accept that. Terry Bowden has talked about how when he took over, he was confronted with a payroll ledger with about ten players who were being financially compensated and he had to instruct his bag man to pay it off in full and not to ever make such obligations again. This kind of blatant cheating doesn't happen everywhere. It happened under Pat Dye.
You just said it yourself - that kind of blatant cheating doesn't happen everywhere. Players are paid everywhere; it's just a matter of how conspicuous or brazen the cheating is.

If it's very brazen, like at SMU, Auburn, or other places where it goes as far as people in the athletic department having payroll ledgers, it tends to get caught. The more effective cheaters don't make it that obvious and have the system of boosters swoop in and take care of it, who know what to do without having to get specific directions. If the system to pay players is "owned and operated" so to speak by people within the AD, it'll eventually get caught, especially if you aren't a traditional power (which Auburn wasn't really at the time).

RIP Coach Dye. He was one of the first to recognize that whichever one, either AU or UGA, won the recruting wars in the state of Georgia produced the better team.

I thoroughly enjoyed Coach Dye's interviews in Saturdays in the South. His stories about Fran Tarkenton, Bear Bryant and his teams at Auburn were great. He famously said in the late 80's that he could "get off his tractor and be in a defensive lineman's living room in 30 minutes" when he had the Rocker brothers et al. Loved his southern drawl, his historical knowledge and appreciation of the SEC and beating his Auburn teams the times that the Vols did back in the day. RIP Coach Dye. A live well lived!

VN Store

Back