RIP College Football

Yeah, because the days of National Champions being determined by the Polls and then BCS computers were so much better than today’s game...

The NIL is right because these players help their universities make millions of dollars, while most of them will not go pro and some may suffer forever from injuries endured in their collegiate career. I think there needs to be some regulation, but the players deserved to get paid.

Expansion was inevitable due to TV contracts from the growth & success of the sport, and the natural selection of conferences.

An expanded playoff of 8-12 will give even more teams the chance to play for a National Title. This means that a 2-3 loss team may still have a chance for a championship. Gone are the years where one loss dooms your season, rendering the rest pointless.

Who doesn’t want to watch Texas vs Alabama? Who doesn’t want to see Oklahoma versus Florida? Now those types of matchups will occur every couple years.

College football is getting better, not worse.

It's going to really be about 6 schools that dominate. NIL basically allows for open cheating & who does the best & has the fan base to offer the 5 stars big money will win.

College sports was set up to be a game verse amateurs & people who love their college.
It's far from that now. I'm shocked kids even have to register for class anymore much less attend a class.

Ya know, over the years, I have thought about this an awful lot, and it always comes down the same in my mind…

For a very long time, a very long time, Coach’s salaries, even in non revenue sports have increased exponentially compared to the value of a scholarship.

At anytime a University could have said, “wait a minute…”the right thing to do, now that there’s all this tv money being shelled out, is to make sure every scholarship athlete on our campus is treated the same, financially, that is, we need to get out in front of this.”

Instead, they hid behind title IX, since the 1970’s, hid behind amateurism, hid behind workmen’s comp, built gigantic facilities, employed entire armies of people that benefit directly from the “student athletes”.

Look at Rivals, 24/7, D1, Perfect Game, not to mention ESPN, who has become the defacto NCAA. Entire institutions, businesses thriving, while talking out the sides of their collective mouths about how giving the athletes a bigger cut of the pie will destroy college athletics.

It’s all come home to roost.

Ya know, over the years, I have thought about this an awful lot, and it always comes down the same in my mind…

For a very long time, a very long time, Coach’s salaries, even in non revenue sports have increased exponentially compared to the value of a scholarship.

At anytime a University could have said, “wait a minute…”the right thing to do, now that there’s all this tv money being shelled out, is to make sure every scholarship athlete on our campus is treated the same, financially, that is, we need to get out in front of this.”

Instead, they hid behind title IX, since the 1970’s, hid behind amateurism, hid behind workmen’s comp, built gigantic facilities, employed entire armies of people that benefit directly from the “student athletes”.

Look at Rivals, 24/7, D1, Perfect Game, not to mention ESPN, who has become the defacto NCAA. Entire institutions, businesses thriving, while talking out the sides of their collective mouths about how giving the athletes a bigger cut of the pie will destroy college athletics.

It’s all come home to roost.
Its the coaching salaries that has really been impossible to the NCAA’s argument about amateurism. When individuals are getting insanely rich from the work of unpaid athletes it’s clearly a business for some but not all and is what the Supreme Court said violated anti trust laws. I don’t think greed necessarily had anything to do with it though. The NCAA set amateurism as a rule before there was much money in it, and that’s been part of the model which has made it popular and thus rich. Also, it’s important to remember that the ncaa is comprised of over 1,000 schools. The vast majority of those can’t pay players and they effectively control the rules. I’d say it’s just a system that evolved into something lopsided and unsustainable (and apparently illegal).

Reactions: vol66
It's going to really be about 6 schools that dominate. NIL basically allows for open cheating & who does the best & has the fan base to offer the 5 stars big money will win.

College sports was set up to be a game verse amateurs & people who love their college.
It's far from that now. I'm shocked kids even have to register for class anymore much less attend a class.

LOL....I hate to break this to you but it's been far from that for at least 30 years. I'm starting to wonder what rock some of you have been living under.

Its the coaching salaries that has really been impossible to the NCAA’s argument about amateurism. When individuals are getting insanely rich from the work of unpaid athletes it’s clearly a business for some but not all and is what the Supreme Court said violated anti trust laws. I don’t think greed necessarily had anything to do with it though. The NCAA set amateurism as a rule before there was much money in it, and that’s been part of the model which has made it popular and thus rich. Also, it’s important to remember that the ncaa is comprised of over 1,000 schools. The vast majority of those can’t pay players and they effectively control the rules. I’d say it’s just a system that evolved into something lopsided and unsustainable (and apparently illegal).

On this subject I think we agree on most things. I didn’t use the word greed, if I had to choose one word it would be scam.

For as long as they have been playing college football, at any given time about 6 (or less) schools dominate the sport.

Now, the handful of schools that dominate changes over time, but many schools that we all know have had multiple periods of dominance.

I don't know where this notion is coming from that "back in the day" the sport was wide open and any number of schools could win a title, and now within the last 10 years Alabama and a few others control everything. College football has never, ever, been that way. NIL and the other modern changes perpetuate the way the sport has basically always been in terms of the number of dominant teams.

True , we witnessed a lot of that in 2016.
I'm looking forward to hearing the Native American National Anthem played before games.

That's going to take a while since there are many Native American nations.

For as long as they have been playing college football, at any given time about 6 (or less) schools dominate the sport.

Now, the handful of schools that dominate changes over time, but many schools that we all know have had multiple periods of dominance.

I don't know where this notion is coming from that "back in the day" the sport was wide open and any number of schools could win a title, and now within the last 10 years Alabama and a few others control everything. College football has never, ever, been that way. NIL and the other modern changes perpetuate the way the sport has basically always been in terms of the number of dominant teams.

I can't like this enough. This look back with nostalgia glasses is laughable and not even remotely accurate. As you said, it's always been about 5-6 that dominated at any given time. Yeah those teams rotated...some...but it really was no different. This is basically a bunch of feelings (funny considering the types doing most of the complaining about this). Some of you guys are like kids finding out Santa isn't real and you want to go back to believing that instead of just accepting what's been true all along.

Reactions: KoachKrab127

VN Store

Back