Muhammad Ali close to death in Arizona hospital. RIP 6/3/16

The most iconic photograph in Sports ever taken...

ali.jpg

It is.

“I ain’t draft dodging. I ain’t burning no flag. I ain’t running to Canada. I’m staying right here. You want to send me to jail? Fine, you go right ahead. I’ve been in jail for 400 years. I could be there for 4 or 5 more, but I ain’t going no 10,000 miles to help murder and kill other poor people. If I want to die, I’ll die right here, right now, fightin’ you, if I want to die. You my enemy, not no Chinese, no Vietcong, no Japanese. You my opposer when I want freedom. You my opposer when I want justice. You my opposer when I want equality. Want me to go somewhere and fight for you? You won’t even stand up for me right here in America, for my rights and my religious beliefs. You won’t even stand up for my right here at home. “

Reactions: 9 people
I actually got to visit with Ali at his home in Chicago in 1985. I had a business appointment with a guy who happened to be a Black Muslim. He took me out to lunch, and then we hopped in his car so he could show me Soldier Field and some other sights. At one point, he turned off and drove up this long driveway, shut off the engine and said, "Let's see if the Champ is home. I'd like for him to meet you." He was there and welcomed us with such grace, kindness and generosity. He treated me like a genuine person rather than some adoring fan taking up his time. Consequently, I refrained from asking him for an autograph. (I know, I'm stupid.)

In so many ways far and beyond boxing, Ali was the greatest. May he RIP.

Reactions: 4 people
I actually got to visit with Ali at his home in Chicago in 1985. I had a business appointment with a guy who happened to be a Black Muslim. He took me out to lunch, and then we hopped in his car so he could show me Soldier Field and some other sights. At one point, he turned off and drove up this long driveway, shut off the engine and said, "Let's see if the Champ is home. I'd like for him to meet you." He was there and welcomed us with such grace, kindness and generosity. He treated me like a genuine person rather than some adoring fan taking up his time. Consequently, I refrained from asking him for an autograph. (I know, I'm stupid.)

That memory is worth more than an autograph any day.

Reactions: 3 people

Pics or it didn't happen! :)

I'm going to take a different approach to Muhammad Ali's death. Considering what a debilitating disease Parkinson's is and that he suffered from it for so long, I'm actually glad his suffering is finally over and that he's resting in peace. Muhammad Ali was the first true larger than life figure I remember as a child. He was one of my early heroes. I'm not sad that he's gone now. I'm glad he's finally free.

Reactions: 1 person
Not saying that at all, Einstein. Ali was punch drunk, which greatly increases your chances of Parkinson's. Naturally some folks are predisposed to it, but climbing through the ropes for 5 years after he was about shot is what killed him.

For sure

“I ain’t draft dodging. I ain’t burning no flag. I ain’t running to Canada. I’m staying right here. You want to send me to jail? Fine, you go right ahead. I’ve been in jail for 400 years. I could be there for 4 or 5 more, but I ain’t going no 10,000 miles to help murder and kill other poor people. If I want to die, I’ll die right here, right now, fightin’ you, if I want to die. You my enemy, not no Chinese, no Vietcong, no Japanese. You my opposer when I want freedom. You my opposer when I want justice. You my opposer when I want equality. Want me to go somewhere and fight for you? You won’t even stand up for me right here in America, for my rights and my religious beliefs. You won’t even stand up for my right here at home. “

Draft dodger

Reactions: 5 people
He was one of my childhood heroes and he truly was a hero. What a sight when he emerged to light the torch.

maxresdefault.jpg

One of my personal heros - not for what he did in the ring - but for who he was outside of it.

Reactions: 2 people

VN Store

Back