Rico McCoy

UTVolsFan28

I have a question about Rico, In watching his videos I noticed his very quick instinct to the ball. He always seems to arrive with destruction on his mind. I know he will be a LB at Tenn, but why could he not see the field as a "headhunter" at SS? Im just thinking his freshman year so he can get on the field and see some action. With Allen locking down one corner I think it would be great to have that 1 "scary" guy lurking back there waiting to Take a WR's head off. Just a thought.

Go Vols

All I know is that he is very good but I know that his good friend andre mathis wouldn't mind much if he switched postions.

I'd definitely like to see a little bit more of the "headhunter" mentality back on our defensive side of the ball this year.

McCoy is a LB not a SS

Mathis and McCoy do not play the same position.

well just saying that they are freshmen and can be moved around to many postions through out this year and next.

Originally posted by Vol67@Jun 13, 2005 2:59 AM
McCoy is a LB not a SS

[snapback]103200[/snapback]​

......the whole point of this thread was acknowledging that he was a LB, but that he would like to see him play safety

NO not safety, he is a lb moving him to Safety means giving up pass coverage. LB and Safety are not interchangable. A safety can become a LB but a LB cannot become a safety.

McCoy will be OLB
Mathis will be ILB

football is different than basketball when it comes to posting and vols67 i actually agree

Originally posted by Vol67@Jun 13, 2005 11:39 AM
NO not safety, he is a lb moving him to Safety means giving up pass coverage. LB and Safety are not interchangable. A safety can become a LB but a LB cannot become a safety.

McCoy will be OLB
Mathis will be ILB
[snapback]103257[/snapback]​

If I am not mistaken Thomas Davis the former GA safety was moved from LB to safety and turned out to be a great player. It may or may not work in this case, but it can be done.

Also, the coaches discussed moving Omar Gaither to safety because of his speed. So I think it could happen.

Originally posted by Vol67@Jun 13, 2005 11:39 AM

McCoy will be OLB
Mathis will be ILB
]omar gayfer
:nono:

obviously you have seen McCoy play. He is a natural LB. The coaches let Gaither try out at Safety but there never was any intention of allowing him to play there. Besides the fact that this is a very large LB class that will be finishing this year, move McCoy and forget your defense next year.

Originally posted by Vol67@Jun 13, 2005 5:27 PM
obviously you have seen McCoy play. He is a natural LB. The coaches let Gaither try out at Safety but there never was any intention of allowing him to play there. Besides the fact that this is a very large LB class that will be finishing this year, move McCoy and forget your defense next year.
[snapback]103456[/snapback]​

I was simply pointing out that the move from LB to S can, and has been done before. You commented that a LB cannot become a safety and that is not true.

By reading between the lines, I think the real object of this post is, where have the big hitters on defense gone? Obviously we have size, speed and athleticism, but we are missing what I'll call "Raynoch Thompsanism". This guy had the spindliest legs I've ever seen, but he sure didn't care to lay the wood to somebody.

Originally posted by holdemvol@Jun 14, 2005 10:11 AM
I was simply pointing out that the move from LB to S can, and has been done before.  You commented that a LB cannot become a safety and that is not true.
[snapback]103721[/snapback]​

At Tennessee that is true

VN Store

Back