Rick Barnes gets emotional

Absolutely heartbreaking for a bunch of great young men having their Elite Eight appearance stolen from them at the last second by bad officiating.

All that hard work and determination makes this one of the best basketball teams we’ve had in a long time.

Barnes is a great coach.

See ya’ll next year.

Go Vols!

How many times have we heard "the refs just don't make a call in the last seconds that will effect the outcome of the game, they let the player decide the outcome themselves"?

In the last few seconds Grant blocked a fastbreak shot (to me he could have been called for a block) no call. Now with 1.6 seconds (or so) on the clock and a three point shot at least 10- 12 feet in it's flight, the two players brush, brush mind you, into each other at the hip. Foul called,,,, had no effect on the shot, the ability of both players to "play on"not effected, just not very good by that official. Then he (I think) tells the "table" that he couldn't hear the timeout call "and it stands when I heard it" (can't he see the call as is usually acknowledged by refs ?). BS,,, he was standing less than 8' from the guy asking for the time out with about 7 10s on the clock. (not to mention on the inbound pass the clock started 2 10's or so before Grant touched the ball. These two things being corrected by the review (maybe there needs to be reviews of the reviews) would have given UT around a 1 second time to get off a fair shot. Poor outcome for a really good ballgame.

I'm honestly sick of people blaming the ref for the last play. If you ask me Turner bodied him after the shot prior to landing. That's a foul all day and you would be furious if it was at the other end. AI hate it just as much as anyone but come on.

If you wanna think that was a good call then cool, that's your right. I think you're wrong but whatever. But if the roles were reversed though, I absolutely would not be complaining that my team didn't get bailed out of certain defeat by a bad call.

If you wanna think that was a good call then cool, that's your right. I think you're wrong but whatever. But if the roles were reversed though, I absolutely would not be complaining that my team didn't get bailed out of certain defeat by a bad call.

Contact with a shooter is a foul. How many times have you seen a defender barely touch a shooters fingertips after the ball is released and a foul is called much less a defender running into the body of a defender. A shooter has the right to land on a jump shot. If you ask me he Turner should have just let him shoot it and we take our chances. Bad calls are made all over the place in a game. Officiating did not cost us last night. We beat ourselves.

Contact with a shooter is a foul. How many times have you seen a defender barely touch a shooters fingertips after the ball is released and a foul is called much less a defender running into the body of a defender. A shooter has the right to land on a jump shot. If you ask me he Turner should have just let him shoot it and we take our chances. Bad calls are made all over the place in a game. Officiating did not cost us last night. We beat ourselves.

Not totally true. Not all contact with a shooter is a foul. Hand is part of the ball. Normally, officials will only call fouls on the elbow and sometimes the wrist.

A shooter is given room to land, but the shooter can’t kick out. It wasn’t egregious, but I thought contact was as Edwards was slightly kicking out. Nonetheless, it was minimal for a foul to be called in that moment. Of all the physicality during the game.

Reactions: cncchris33

If you want to be technical, it should have been an offensive foul by kicking out to the defender, resulting in contact.

Turner couldn’t have played any better defense on Edwards at that moment.

If he just let's Edwards shoot it without a challenge and he hits it, then all we hear about is how we allowed their best player an uncontested shot to beat us. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Not totally true. Not all contact with a shooter is a foul. Hand is part of the ball. Normally, officials will only call fouls on the elbow and sometimes the wrist.

A shooter is given room to land, but the shooter can’t kick out. It wasn’t egregious, but I thought contact was as Edwards was slightly kicking out. Nonetheless, it was minimal for a foul to be called in that moment. Of all the physicality during the game.
This. The contact was so minimal and didn't affect the shot or his ability to come down. Edwards landed on his feet. There is just little justification to make that call in that situation. It just seems like one of those situations where an official is looking for any reason to make a call and almost has his mind made up that a foul will occur.

Yes, that was a bad call on Turner at the end of regulation. However, we should have played better ball and not put it in the hands of the officials. I hate that we didn't accomplish any of our goals such as winning the SEC Championship, SEC Tournament, and National Championship. We need to pick up a couple of shooters in the off-season. But we did have a hell of a season and those boys are class acts on and off the court. They have nothing to be ashamed of at all. They should hold their heads up high, and we should feel lucky to have a coach like Rick Barnes.

You can't just say it did not affect his shot. Affecting a shooters shot is not solely the basis for calling a foul. Bowden was fouled earlier in the game on a made 3 and I didnt even see the defender touch him. I know it seems like I'm arguing against our team and I'm not. I'm arguing against the people who said it was absolutely not a foul. He did kick his leg out though but he hit the side of his torso.

You can't just say it did not affect his shot. Affecting a shooters shot is not solely the basis for calling a foul. Bowden was fouled earlier in the game on a made 3 and I didnt even see the defender touch him. I know it seems like I'm arguing against our team and I'm not. I'm arguing against the people who said it was absolutely not a foul. He did kick his leg out though but he hit the side of his torso.
The foul on the Bowden shot wasn't shown on screen, so tough to say what happened. Was surprised they never showed a replay of it, either.

Fair enough... Like I said I disagree but that's beside the point. What I really took issue was the implication we'd all be furious if it went uncalled the other way. I can only speak for myself but that couldn't be further from the case. IMO that level of contact on the lower body that didn't effect the shot, especially considering the shooter's kick out was just as much (if not more so) responsible for the initiation of contact, should've been a no call 100 times out of 100. Regardless of which team had been taking the shot.

Can't remember who but someone said it best last night. If the foul had went uncalled, would the headline this morning be saying "Tennessee wins game on controversial no call"? Not a chance. That level on contact happens on just about every play and I can almost guarantee it would've hardly been given a second thought.

Now with that said... Literally every headline I've seen this AM and every sports personality I've heard discuss it has referred to it as a controversial or questionable call.

You're right... From what I could tell that was a bad call. I didn't see any contact on that shot and, if there was, it was minimal and insignificant.

The foul on the Bowden shot wasn't shown on screen, so tough to say what happened. Was surprised they never showed a replay of it, either.

It was a bad call from what I could see. With that said... I'm sorry but giving a guy an and 1 after a made 3 with like 7 minutes left and reviving a team from the dead and giving them 3 free throws after they essentially just lost the game is quite a difference on the bad call scale in my opinion.

Thanks for posting this. Still feel for the guys this morning. I’m just as disappointed as anyone but in the end as fans all you can hope for is to support a team that gives their all and represents your school in a positive light on and off the court/field, and this team certainly has done all of that.

So we are expected to win every game by at least 6-8 points so that the refs can’t change the outcome?
Unfortunately, that’s what it takes in all contact sports, not just basketball. You have to put perform the competition by enough of a margin to ensure some bad calls don’t cost you the game - just ask the Saints.

Reactions: orange_glory
Congrats to Purdue they were hot as fire, we didn't shoot free throws good enough to win and we played a terrible first half. Having said all that I find it amazing that they usually take 10 minutes to look at replays and on the ball going off the foot to the time going from 1.5 to .1 they took very little time and gave a crazy explanation on the time out at 0.1 seconds, that explaination was pathetic. Somebody mumbled about the refs interpretation when time was called out??? What do the refs think Tenn was going to do as soon??? No way in Haiti that time should have been added, from 1.5 to .1, BS! The took very little time to see if the ball came off the foot, usually a million different looks and we see like 2. 5 seconds no call, it's just ironic that every call in the last seconds of regulation went against us and one can make a argument they got them all wrong. But again not taking anything away from Purdue but the inconsistency in the refs is mind boggling, the quickest reviews I have ever witnessed with BS explainations to boot. GBO!!!!

I'm honestly sick of people blaming the ref for the last play. If you ask me Turner bodied him after the shot prior to landing. That's a foul all day and you would be furious if it was at the other end. AI hate it just as much as anyone but come on.
I cant argue with the foul, I think it was 50 50. Not sure its a foul all day and I dont think itd be a point ofbdiscussion in the media if they didnt call it.

So we are expected to win every game by at least 6-8 points so that the refs can’t change the outcome?

Geez...No.

All I'm saying is make your dang free throws and there's no issue in this particular instance. People on this board have to nitpick everything like it's a philosophical debate. Refs are going to make bad calls. It always has happened, and it always will happen. It's the human element to not be perfect. Free throws are called free throws because they are easy opportunities for points. All you have to do is make them. The refs can't make a bad call on a free throw. Just make the dang shot and don't put yourself in this position.

There's a reason why the saying goes "Free throws and rebounding win ball games."

Can't ultimately blame the refs this time. They didn't help, but hit free throws and we win the game...Plain and simple. You can blame missed free throws and Ryan Cline.

You can put it on the refs. Despite missing all those FTs UT still was 2 points better than Purdue but dumb ass officials took that away

I think both sides are correct about the foul. Turner did catch some of his body. BUT the player did stick his legs out. End of the day, when a call is that close at the end of the game why not let the players decide the game instead of putting it into the refs hands.

The free throw argument is accurate too, but Purdue shot ~50% too. Had either team just hit one or two more there would have been no overtime. Also read somewhere that Bowden hasn't missed more than 1 FT in a game all year and he missed 5 last night. It just happens.

VN Store

Back