Rick Barnes discussion [merged]

I do think Alexander is a good coach and a name to keep track of moving forward, I would like to see him take a step up before getting this job or at least a few more years of evidence, but definitely someone I could see in play.

at the end of this season. Belmont's Casey Alexander should be hired to coach the Vols.

Yeah, we need a coach that hasn't owned UK with 3 star players and hasn't recruited the best ever at UT the last couple of years! You will be eating your words when UT is in the FF this year or next! Barnes hasn't got a feel yet for how to get the best out of this young team. He will by the SEC or NCAA Tournament!

Last edited:
Vols are 14-5 and yes the record could be a game or 2 better. But, the record could be far, far worse than it is.

Tennessee has major talent deficiencies outside of Johnson and Springer and they are both freshmen. Pons and Fulky are overachievers, but are very limited.

Not many coaches in the country would be 14-5 with this team. A lot may be around 10-9 or 9-10.

I think Barnes has done well with this squad, who was vastly overrated going into the season, to no fault of their own.

I think the Ole Miss loss was nearly squarely on Barnes. The other 4 losses, mainly on the players.....

I think Rick Barnes will retire in two seasons possibly and don't be shocked too much if Danny White hires his brother Mike from Florida to replace him.

View attachment 352002
The final year of his current contract is the 2023-24 season. He will be here at least that long, and probably a little longer.

We should be very careful about wishing Barnes out of here. This is a weird forum sometimes with a lot of incredibly bad ideas posted. Would Kennedy Chandler still end up coming here if Barnes retires next month as the OP suggests? I doubt it.

The final year of his current contract is the 2023-24 season. He will be here at least that long, and probably a little longer.

We should be very careful about wishing Barnes out of here. This is a weird forum sometimes with a lot of incredibly bad ideas posted. Would Kennedy Chandler still end up coming here if Barnes retires next month as the OP suggests? I doubt it.
I'm not wishing him to leave i just think he will in a few seasons.

Seems to me that, for whatever reason, Rick isn't getting as much out of his 5-star laden roster as we might have expected by now.
He also seems to have let Fulkerson and Pons backslide considering the potential they displayed last season.
I'm hoping White does have someone in mind just in case Barnes either retires in the near future or completely flops and has to be replaced.

I'm ready for a new coach. UT missed a great opportunity when he didn't go to UCLA.

UT is always hiring coaches after a coach has failed and been fired.

Just one time I'd like to see UT hire a coach when a program isn't in distress and the job is seen as very desirable and someone good wants the job.

VN Store

Back