Rick Barnes discussion [merged]

Unless White could land some of these candidates then there’s no reason to push Barnes out.

Nate Oats (Bama)

Buzz Williams (Texas A&M)

Leonard Hamilton (Florida St)

Eric Musselman (Arkansas)

Greg McDermott (Creighton)

Dave Thorson (Drake)
Hamilton would kill it here.

It’s always “patience.” Every....single....frickin....year. In every sport.
We were no. 1 in the polls for 4 straight weeks just two years ago. That was the longest anyone had held no. 1 for that long in successive weeks in 10+ years. Gonzaga has eclipsed that mark this year, but with the proverbial asterisk

Reactions: BruisedOrange
He’s been very good

I’ll stick with Barnes
With his contract, UT has no choice but to keep him and he's not likely to retire and leave that much money on the table. The only was he leaves is for another job. Personally, he's taken UT basketball back to being relevant. We're having an off year, but even so we're going to the dance. UT is not a blue blood. We have a program that compete with the big boys now. I'm fine with Barnes. Just hope he recognizes what needs to be done on the recruiting trail and gets kids who are ready to play at this level instead of taking projects that will take 2-3 years to "develop" if they develop.

With his contract, UT has no choice but to keep him and he's not likely to retire and leave that much money on the table. The only was he leaves is for another job. Personally, he's taken UT basketball back to being relevant. We're having an off year, but even so we're going to the dance. UT is not a blue blood. We have a program that compete with the big boys now. I'm fine with Barnes. Just hope he recognizes what needs to be done on the recruiting trail and gets kids who are ready to play at this level instead of taking projects that will take 2-3 years to "develop" if they develop.

Maybe it is reasonable to give him 2 or 3 years to see how the projects that were taken actually develop.

None of us have any clue. We just know what our eyeballs are telling us. Other teams have improved over the season and we have regressed. Whose fault is that?
Yeah, and other teams haven't improved. The blue bloods especially. THINK! There is a legitimate reason why some teams lack energy and focus

Pearl is 10x the coach Barnes is. What got us in this mess is TN admin having no balls and being terrified of a toothless tiger.

I agree with this. After seeing how LSU has managed the Will Wade ordeal, bowing down to the NCAA and firing Bruce Pearl was a gutless decision by Tennessee.

Reactions: LibertyVol
If I’ve learned anything from Tennessee football it’s that things can always get worse through a coaching change. Rick Barnes is a known commodity. He is well respected but he does not have what it takes to win championships and I think Tennessee fans should learn to be ok with that. I think if we are to have any hope of enticing a premier successor; we need to support Barnes and let him leave the game when he is ready. At his age, I doubt we will have to wait for very long.

We've done well with Barnes
Depends on one's perspective, I suppose.
Had Texas not fired him, we would've never approached him about our opening. Additionally, one could argue that ponying up the $5mm to keep him from running to the left coast may not have been the smartest move either.

Depends on one's perspective, I suppose.
Had Texas not fired him, we would've never approached him about our opening. Additionally, one could argue that ponying up the $5mm to keep him from running to the left coast may not have been the smartest move either.
If Texas hadn’t fired Barnes we would’ve been shopping D-2 schools for a coach after the Donnie Disaster.

If I’ve learned anything from Tennessee football it’s that things can always get worse through a coaching change. Rick Barnes is a known commodity. He is well respected but he does not have what it takes to win championships and I think Tennessee fans should learn to be ok with that. I think if we are to have any hope of enticing a premier successor; we need to support Barnes and let him leave the game when he is ready. At his age, I doubt we will have to wait for very long.

Well said. Ride out Barnes career while accepting the fact there won’t be any outright championships and TN won’t ever live up to seeding in the NCAA tournament. Don’t make it ugly because we already have the advantage of coaches knowing TN pays top dollar.

Whenever Barnes does step away, it's much easier to find a basketball coach that can win than a football coach, just on the fact that there are so many more division 1 basketball coaches out there. Getting good mid-major basketball coaches has a higher success rate than football coaches from lower ranks, or at least it seems that way. I actually think Tindell was a good basketball coach, but he cheated at a non-P5 and the NCAA is always going to make an example of you for doing that. Outside of that every coach here besides Butch and Wade Houston were able to make and advance in the NCAA tournament in the last 40-50 years. Those two were just bad coaches.

Here's the thing about Barnes: he has no relationships with individuals to get funds channeled to his recruits. The reason both Johnson and Springer came to UT was because of Barnes and his acumen as a coach. Johnson's mother and Springer's father both were great players. Johnson wasn't a scholarship student at Webb school. Springer's Dad Gary sent him to his high school. They wanted their kids to come play for Barnes because they knew it would be quality instruction and development. Not paying players has probably cost Barnes a couple of quality big men during his time here.

The instant gratification has set in with many in our fan base. We're lucky to have Barnes

Reactions: LibertyVol
Leonard Hamilton just signed contract extension with FSU for LESS THAN HALF what Rick Barnes makes annually coaching TN. Hamilton made an Elite Eight in 2017-2018 while Barnes last reached that rung of the tourney ladder during 2007-2008 season. Hilarious.

Whenever Barnes does step away, it's much easier to find a basketball coach that can win than a football coach, just on the fact that there are so many more division 1 basketball coaches out there. Getting good mid-major basketball coaches has a higher success rate than football coaches from lower ranks, or at least it seems that way. I actually think Tindell was a good basketball coach, but he cheated at a non-P5 and the NCAA is always going to make an example of you for doing that. Outside of that every coach here besides Butch and Wade Houston were able to make and advance in the NCAA tournament in the last 40-50 years. Those two were just bad coaches.
Butch?
Houston, O’Neill, Buzz, and Tyndall never made it to the tourney while here.

VN Store

Back