Rick Barnes discussion [merged]

Barnes once turned down Kentucky to stay at Texas and they rewarded him by firing him. Now that everything has turned into “what have you done for me lately” why would anyone stay loyal to one job?
Being loyal and critiquing a coach that makes $5M a year are two different things. Barnes deserves most of the criticism he is getting right now

Reactions: vettefool
Had a better coach before Barnes was hired albeit a few years before....

So it's not like Barnes is great by any stretch of the imagination.
I said we would not get a better coach than Barnes... and the odds are very much against it. We would probably take a chance on someone like Wes Miller (UNC-Greensboro) and who knows what happens...

I said we would not get a better coach than Barnes... and the odds are very much against it. We would probably take a chance on someone like Wes Miller (UNC-Greensboro) and who knows what happens...

Well when the university is willing to pay 5 mill then the options are almost endless. And yes you said we would not get a better coach than Barnes - well it isnt that good. Not that hard to do what he is doing in the wins and losses categories and toruney prowess.

Barnes deserves some criticism, but some things have developed that really isn't his fault.

JJJ is a bust
EJ looks like he never has played basketball a day in his life. Can not make a simple layup.
Fulky has checked out.

Had a better coach before Barnes was hired albeit a few years before....

So it's not like Barnes is great by any stretch of the imagination.
Who ? Cuonzo ? Fat boy Tyndall ? The cheater, Pearl ? If it's Pearl, man, give it up, he is never coming back to UT, NEVER ! That ship has sailed, he lies, he cheats and he is one minor eff up away, from getting a 10 year Show Cause, just like fat boy. U can love him, pine for him, say he outcoached Barnes, today, which he did, but he will never coach here again. So give it effing up, either become an Auburn and Pearl fan or be a Vols fan. Just know for a fact that Pearl will never coach here, again. In fact, UT has a better chance of zombie versions of Neyland, Majors and/or Mears returning to coach than Pearl, just saying.

Reactions: BreatheUT
Absolutely not, you let him finish his career here if he will (and hopefully he does). He’s recruiting extremely well, he has a great staff, he’s well liked and does things the right way, and he hasn’t suddenly forgotten how to coach.
Every team is different. Sometimes it’s harder to get a certain group to play well together and to push the right buttons with everyone. A similar example IMO would be KY this year. It’s possible they can even get things turned around this week with a week of practice..
We need a dominant big man in the middle and that will help a lot. Pons is really our only rim protector and he’s listed as a guard.

We need a dominant big man in the middle and that will help a lot. Pos is really our only rim protector and he’s listed as a guard.
A dominant big man would be fantastic. But if we just had a true post scoring threat and a 8-9 rpg rebounder it would help this team tremendously.
IMO, whatever has happened to cause Fulkersons big step back has hurt the teams offensive production as much as anything. Pons never was a true post scoring threat, but Fulky was. If he plays close to like he did last year, the offense becomes so much better and easier

Who ? Cuonzo ? Fat boy Tyndall ? The cheater, Pearl ? If it's Pearl, man, give it up, he is never coming back to UT, NEVER ! That ship has sailed, he lies, he cheats and he is one minor eff up away, from getting a 10 year Show Cause, just like fat boy. U can love him, pine for him, say he outcoached Barnes, today, which he did, but he will never coach here again. So give it effing up, either become an Auburn and Pearl fan or be a Vols fan. Just know for a fact that Pearl will never coach here, again. In fact, UT has a better chance of zombie versions of Neyland, Majors and/or Mears returning to coach than Pearl, just saying.

Never said or even implied I wanted Pearl back ---- you've gone all eff this and eff that about something I never said - however he was better during his time here than Barnes. Pearl's cheating was a secondary violation that he lied about - which was stupid.

So go pound sand Mr. Fan Police!

The fact there’s even a discussion about this is utterly mind boggling to me....and quite hilarious at the same time!

Reactions: SDV
that's funny - no, not really...

Typical response however when you were clearly wrong.

Reprobate.
Wrong about what ? Saying u want Pearl back ? I admitted that, even tho, that's the perception u give off. Please tell me what I'm so wrong about ? I know this team is underachieving and Barnes hasn't made the adjustments that can improve this team, yet. I'm not defending Barnes or this team, although I will live and die with every second of every game this UT team plays

Two things are true.

Barnes deserves major criticism for this season to date.

Barnes will be here until he retires. UT is not remotely in a place financially to replace him.

I'll add a third truth, Barnes can completely salvage the season in the post season with a good performance there. However unlikely that may be, as the post season is his traditional weakness anyway.

WANTED!! Mid to late sixties caucasian male for embezzling five million dollars from the University of Tennessee in Knoxville. Reported last seen at a Bruce Pearl coaching clinic in Alabama sitting in a chair wearing a mask saying nothing for two hours. If you know this guys whereabouts please report him to the authorities.

WANTED!! Mid to late sixties caucasian male for embezzling five million dollars from the University of Tennessee in Knoxville. Reported last seen at a Bruce Pearl coaching clinic in Alabama sitting in a chair wearing a mask saying nothing for two hours. If you know this guys whereabouts please report him to the authorities.
If that wasn't so sad it would be hilarious.

That’s pretty damn funny!

1-Uncontrollable-Laughter-Gif.gif

Two things are true.

Barnes deserves major criticism for this season to date.

Barnes will be here until he retires. UT is not remotely in a place financially to replace him.

I'll add a third truth, Barnes can completely salvage the season in the post season with a good performance there. However unlikely that may be, as the post season is his traditional weakness anyway.
Yep. He's not going to walk away from the honey pot otherwise known as UT where they pay you huge sums of money to do things poorly or not at all. As for this season, this team is done. There's no fight in them except for the 2 guys trying to enhance their draft status. They're playing for a future and big money. The other guys are plain soft. What little fight they had in 'em is long gone.

VN Store

Back