Rick Barnes discussion [merged]

Everyone should agree that If this team can’t make it past the first weekend it’s a colossal failure.

I get what you're saying, but a "colossal failure" would be winding up in the NIT. This team clearly still has a chance to see the second weekend, which I'll readily admit was my expectation heading into the season before it became clear that the returning players more or less remained stagnant at best, but I'm no longer convinced that failing to match the second-best tournament performance in Tennessee basketball history is overly damning for such a bipolar team.

I'll consider the season to be a disappointment if we don't make the Round of 32, for what it's worth.

I get what you're saying, but a "colossal failure" would be winding up in the NIT. This team clearly still has a chance to see the second weekend, which I'll readily admit was my expectation heading into the season before it became clear that the returning players more or less remained stagnant at best, but I'm no longer convinced that failing to match the second-best tournament performance in Tennessee basketball history is overly damning for such a bipolar team.

I'll consider the season to be a disappointment if we don't make the Round of 32, for what it's worth.
Well semantics I guess. Nonetheless I am disappointed by our current trajectory. Some people on here (who shall remain nameless because they are brainless and friendliness) defend Barnes with ever fiber of their sad being....

The probability of UT upgrading from Barnes is very low. You might get a “good” coach but it likely won’t be someone who convinces a 5 star point guard who openly stated that Duke was his dream school to pick UT over Duke.
I didn't say anything negative about Barnes. The Barnes hire actually proves my point. We were not in a great place and brought him in and he has done a fine job. Now we are even in a better spot if he retires. No reason that we shouldn't make a great hire. I'm just saying this is not a second rate job like some keep trying to point out. Our program is more than just Rick Barnes. We have had good teams before him and we will have good teams after him.

I didn't say anything negative about Barnes. The Barnes hire actually proves my point. We were not in a great place and brought him in and he has done a fine job. Now we are even in a better spot if he retires. No reason that we shouldn't make a great hire. I'm just saying this is not a second rate job like some keep trying to point out. Our program is more than just Rick Barnes. We have had good teams before him and we will have good teams after him.

Reactions: volfanbill
Why do we have to compare Pearl and Barnes? They coach different and recruit different but the bottom line is they both win. All we need is to get a year older and the consistency will improve. I like both coaches both are really good at what they do. Pearl is more flamboyant and probably a better motivator, Barnes is better at player developmen. Would like to have seen what Tyndall could have done here, I think he was really good coach and making adjustments during the game. Kevin O‘Neil is the best recruiter we have had.

Well semantics I guess. Nonetheless I am disappointed by our current trajectory. Some people on here (who shall remain nameless because they are brainless and friendliness) defend Barnes with ever fiber of their sad being....
The irony of your “brainless” statement is amusing.

Tennessee is 15-6, while Texas is 13-6. You have fuzzy math, or you were just too lazy to look up something. Making a point with incorrect info is too funny.

Smart has a lottery pick in Greg Brown with a bunch of Junior & Senior guards.

Less talent my a$$. Lol

So, you’re saying Barnes is dirty. You’re wrong.

So you think Barnes is beating out other cheaters and known programs that pay athletes by offering up some good ole fashioned coaching and education? You think these players are turning down Duke, UK, KU, etc and the $200k just to come play for Barnes at UT?

So you think Barnes is beating out other cheaters and known programs that pay athletes by offering up some good ole fashioned coaching and education? You think these players are turning down Duke, UK, KU, etc and the $200k just to come play for Barnes at UT?
Not every kid and their families live their lives wanting to cheat. Now you’re assuming every player would take money if offered. That’s just not the case. You’re still wrong about Barnes.

The irony of your “brainless” statement is amusing.
I think the "brainless" statement to which @cardvolfan is referring is your use of "friendliness" for friendless and your use of "ever fiber" for every fiber.....I think that is all he was implying........I'm sure we can all agree that CRB has a lot to prove, especially when he knocks down 5 mil or so annually.......Carry on, my friend.........

Not every kid and their families live their lives wanting to cheat. Now you’re assuming every player would take money if offered. That’s just not the case. You’re still wrong about Barnes.

You're living in a fantasy land and clearly have zero idea just how dirty and widespread college basketball recruiting is. I wouldn't label Barnes as "dirty". Its the entire recruiting process that is dirty. He isnt doing anything more than anybody else is to land these guys.

You know Barnes landed Kevin Durant, a DC kid that was seen as a once a decade or so prospect right? You think he came to Austin for the free education and nothing else? I'm honestly shocked anybody would be this naive after the amount of investigations and articles discussing just how wild basketball recruiting is.

You're living in a fantasy land and clearly have zero idea just how dirty and widespread college basketball recruiting is. I wouldn't label Barnes as "dirty". Its the entire recruiting process that is dirty. He isnt doing anything more than anybody else is to land these guys.

You know Barnes landed Kevin Durant, a DC kid that was seen as a once a decade or so prospect right? You think he came to Austin for the free education and nothing else? I'm honestly shocked anybody would be this naive after the amount of investigations and articles discussing just how wild basketball recruiting is.
Back up your specific claims. You must have something? You accuse someone of cheating. Where is there a shred of evidence? I’m more than willing to take an objective look.

Even if Barnes is cheating to some extent, he’s done a very well job at hiding it.

However, Barnes has missed his fair share of 5* prospects that we was in great shape with so who knows.

He’s not even remotely close to dirty as Pearl and Will Wade.

Back up your specific claims. You must have something? You accuse someone of cheating. Where is there a shred of evidence? I’m more than willing to take an objective look.

Sure man. Let me go ahead and put UT basketball under investigation for some internet cred. Why would you even want that as a fan of the team? What a silly request.

Just do some basic research on the AAU circuit, shoe companies, and high school basketball recruiting. They all show how widespread the issue is. So now you think we have the one coach that isn't doing anything outside of NCAA rules and we have found the few families that not only have some moral high ground not to take money, but also don't need or could use that money? Amounts of money that to the bulk of Americans would be life changing. You're taking multiple huge leaps of faith to get to where you're at. Or just ignoring reality.

Sure man. Let me go ahead and put UT basketball under investigation for some internet cred. Why would you even want that as a fan of the team? What a silly request.

Just do some basic research on the AAU circuit, shoe companies, and high school basketball recruiting. They all show how widespread the issue is. So now you think we have the one coach that isn't doing anything outside of NCAA rules and we have found the few families that not only have some moral high ground not to take money, but also don't need or could use that money? Amounts of money that to the bulk of Americans would be life changing. You're taking multiple huge leaps of faith to get to where you're at. Or just ignoring reality.

You have accused Barnes of a negative which is difficult to disprove. Just because you have low expectations of people and think everybody wallows in the mud with pigs it doesn't make it so. Barnes has never been accused of anything, not even by rival fans.

Go to a Kentucky website, or even Vandy when Kennedy Chandler committed. There was no mention of Barnes and cheating. Now go to a rival website when Pearl gets a 5* and many think Auburn cheats. Cal used to be associated with WWW who was known as a slimeball. Others get accused. There's nothing with Barnes.

I'm not saying he has or hasn't cheated but I am saying it is easy to notice an individual with upstanding character without believing he has no flaws.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lurker
I think that once the FBI got involved the pucker factor shot up throughout the coaching fraternity and the cheating was reeled in. I’d be surprised if any of Springer, Johnson, or JJJ were taking payola. They are all high character individuals from great families.

No I agree but saying it was amazing we got back to NCAAT in year 3 is such a joke.

If this job was such a dumpster fire and we hired such a great coach as it’s been said...that job isn’t a dumpster fire.

To each their own in terms of defining "dumpster fire" but if you asked me what I would think of a program which had 2 of 3 coaches get show causes while the 3rd one left the program in haste as he spewed accusations of racism and left a roster for the incoming coach that had serious talent gaps...I would err on the side of calling it a dumpster fire but that's just me.

Last edited:
Reactions: cardvolfan
To each their own in terms of defining "dumpster fire" but if you asked me what I would think of a program which had 2 of 3 coaches get show causes while the 3rd one left the program in haste as he spewed accusations of racism and left a roster for the incoming coach that had serious talent gaps...I would err on the side of calling it a dumpster fire but that's just me.
Certainly a program in complete disarray during that time period. We were a laughing stock to a significant core of the media, especially nationally. Kids see, hear, and read that stuff with an inclination to believe. What Barnes did by year 3 was really quite strong considering all the negatives that happened between the Pearl downfall and the Tyndall debacle.

Reactions: MinisterofDef#92
You're living in a fantasy land and clearly have zero idea just how dirty and widespreHi ad college basketball recruiting is. I wouldn't label Barnes as "dirty". Its the entire recruiting process that is dirty. He isnt doing anything more than anybody else is to land these guys.

I agree with this. I would bet big dollars that their isn't a 100 percent clean program anywhere. It's impossible to police. Like I've said before, a program could be clean from administration down to the coaching staff but this doesn't stop boosters and agents from funneling money to the players.

VN Store

Back