Report contradicts Rick Barnes account of not taking UCLA job

For example:

The UT Athletic Department ran a deficit FY2018 of $6,500,00.00 while it carries a buyout for coaches who are no longer employed by the UT system of $13,800,000.00. Put another way, had UT been more responsible, there would be $7,300,000.00 available for educational purposes while still keeping ALL athletic programs intact.

Since our last National Championship, tuition has increased by 400% from about $1,500 per semester to over six thousand.

We spend enough on coaching buyouts to educate another 1,200 students per semester, or to at least give the current students over 7 million dollars more worth of resources PER YEAR with which to be educated.

So, I "have a clue how stuff works", just not happy with it. I don't think you should be either.

Excuses begin in 3, 2, 1 ...

For example:

The UT Athletic Department ran a deficit FY2018 of $6,500,00.00 while it carries a buyout for coaches who are no longer employed by the UT system of $13,800,000.00. Put another way, had UT been more responsible, there would be $7,300,000.00 available for educational purposes while still keeping ALL athletic programs intact.

Since our last National Championship, tuition has increased by 400% from about $1,500 per semester to over six thousand.

We spend enough on coaching buyouts to educate another 1,200 students per semester, or to at least give the current students over 7 million dollars more worth of resources PER YEAR with which to be educated.

So, I "have a clue how stuff works", just not happy with it. I don't think you should be either.

Excuses begin in 3, 2, 1 ...
Hmmm. so your solution to the deficit is to fire more coaches, pay more buy outs and hire more.
Sounds like Hammie-nomics.

Check out OSD’s past posts...he’s also sworn to it that if Pruitt doesn’t go at least 8-4 this year he will be fired, and if he doesn’t win a national title by Year 3 he also will be fired. Gold.

Seemed reasonable at the time. Butch was gone less than a year after going 9-4.

Seemed reasonable at the time. Butch was gone less than a year after going 9-4.
In which he blew a trip to Alt and NO by losing to USC and Vandy who he had covered. He promptly followed that with the first 8 loss season in school history. It's not like he finished 2 seasons in a row near the top of the league prior.

Oh no, no. Quite the opposite. I'm not suggesting he be fired. Only predicting based on past behavior.
You may need to hope Phil retires or is fired in less than 12 months for your prediction to even have a chance.

Phil thought he wasnt given a fair shake after a bad year.
Barnes is coming off a good year and was just bumped substantially.

It's not happening under Phil.

I read the contract amendment, and, unfortunately, the buyout changes only apply to UT firing Barnes.

Barnes’ buyout if he leaves remains unchanged: it’s $1M per year left on the contract.

I don’t think we have to worry about him leaving. No other University is dumb enough to give him a comparable deal.
Not that I don't believe you, but do you care to post a link for that. If true, the article I read on it is wrong, or at best, ambiguous with regards to each side's responsibility.

An offer from another team, a scandal or retirement is the only way Barnes isn't here for several more years. No way in heck he's getting fired without some kind of cause that would allow UT not to pay a buyout.

I don't think either of the latter two will happen, but I could see him bolting for Kansas or someone like that if Bill Self gets canned for NCAA issues. Maybe Arizona too if Miller doesn't survive.

I prefer Barnes retire here but he needs to dramatically step up recruiting efforts and keep the winning going now that he's making NCAA champion/locked in HOFer money.

VN Store

Back