Rep Massie posts gun photo

Are you saying that because Binion doesn't like when people act like guns are cute toys, he's not about maximizing freedom? That would be an illogical, non-sequitur conclusion.
I am saying he is using social pressure to shame the idiot politician and he got it served back to him. He would have been better served, and more consistent with libertarianism, to:
1. see the photo
2. appreciate guns are legal
3. understand the picture doesn't harm or infringe on anyone.
4. and chosen something better to complain about.

1. His adoption of the narrative they are "machines used to kill people".
2. The incongruency of ideology (libertarians want maximum freedom).
3. The silly notion that something legal, and of no harm to another, should be hidden away.

1. Wait, what? That's what they are. Let's not kid ourselves. You can frame it another way and say they are machines used to protect people, but they protect because they kill. I mean, you're firmly on the side of right-wing political correctness here.

2. It's not incongruent ideologically. It's incongruent to your idea of what 2A supporters are.

3. Straw man. He didn't say guns should be hidden away, he decried the idea that they are cute toys.

I can't imagine him calling out a picture of people enjoying a bong (without children, of course).

What does that have to do with logic? You're insinuating that he's inconsistent/a hypocrite, not explaining how his statement was illogical.

1. Wait, what? That's what they are. Let's not kid ourselves. You can frame it another way and say they are machines used to protect people, but they protect because they kill. I mean, you're firmly on the side of right-wing political correctness here.

2. It's not incongruent ideologically. It's incongruent to your idea of what 2A supporters are.

3. Straw man. He didn't say guns should be hidden away, he decried the idea that they are cute toys.

If you think on it objectively, you can come to no other conclusion other than guns are used in several ways which have absolutely nothing to do with killing people. His premise is wrong. Therefore, his stance is faulty.

Reactions: InVOLuntary
No, true libertarians are about bitching, griping and pointing out their superiority by claiming it's not their fault.
...and why is it never their fault? Because they never support a candidate with a snowball's chance in hell of winning.

Point well made. Many of those people are equally repulsive.
What about the pro gun lobbyists do you find repulsive? The others I mentioned knowingly and proactively sought/seek to deceive and mislead the public about their product, often with the blessing/help of government.

...and why is it never their fault? Because they never support a candidate with a snowball's chance in hell of winning.

Nope, you are wrong on this one.

It's never their fault because they only want to go for the big prize and not do the groundwork of supporting and electing people to lower offices.

What about the pro gun lobbyists do you find repulsive? The others I mentioned knowingly and proactively sought/seek to deceive and mislead the public about their product, often with the blessing/help of government.
The pro gun lobbyists knowingly and proactively sought/seek to deceive and mislead the public about their product, often with the blessing/help of government.

I just eliminated a few words from your post.

If you think on it objectively, you can come to no other conclusion other than guns are used in several ways which have absolutely nothing to do with killing people. His premise is wrong. Therefore, his stance is faulty.

This line of reasoning is valid but the conclusion that it excludes what he said is completely illogical. He doesn't like that guns are treated like cute toys because they are killing machines. The fact that "guns are used in several ways" doesn't do anything to counter his opinion that they are not cute because they are, in part, killing machines.

The pro gun lobbyists knowingly and proactively sought/seek to deceive and mislead the public about their product, often with the blessing/help of government.

And how are they deceiving and misleading the public?

Reactions: Rickyvol77
I would think consistency is important in forming logical arguments.

We're discussing the logic of a statement he made and now you've made up a hypothetical position for him so you can say he's inconsistent, and therefore illogical. Even if you are right about your made-up position for him, that doesn't mean the original statement defies logic.

How so? Everybody knows what a gun is and what it is capable of. Your example and mine aren't in the same hemisphere.

Reactions: Rickyvol77
People need to be less sensitive.

People right now revel in the being an a$$hole for the sake of being an a$$hole. Of course you have the right to be an a$$hole, but it doesn't make you a champion of individual liberties when you exercise that right. It just makes you an a$$hole worthy of scorn.

Reactions: luthervol
From your link -
  • Over 65,000 Australians make a suicide attempt each year.
  • In 2019, 3,318 Australians took their own life.
Only 5% of suicide attempts are successful.
It seems that not using a gun as your preferred method may be a good thing.
If a loved one of mine was going to attempt suicide, I would hope they would choose a method other than a gun.

If only 5% of suicide attempts are successful out of 65,000 , then they aren’t trying to commit suicide . This is why statists are worse than lies and damn lies .

People right now revel in the being an a$$hole for the sake of being an a$$hole. Of course you have the right to be an a$$hole, but it doesn't make you a champion of individual liberties when you exercise that right. It just makes you an a$$hole worthy of scorn.

I see no assholishness in his photo. If it wasn't retwatted with people crying about it just how many people would have ever known about it?

VN Store

Back