Rennia Davis - SEC Player of The Week

scores4fun

Player of the Week: Tennessee's Rennia Davis ran her streak of scoring in double figures to 18 consecutive games, averaging 23.0 points, 8.0 rebounds and 2.0 steals last week in No. 22/23 UT's split with #3/5 UConn and LSU. Davis finished 16 of 27 from the field for 59.3 percent accuracy. She was four of nine from three-point range (44.4) and went 10 of 11 from the free throw line (90.9). She closed the week for the Lady Vols with her second 30-point game of the season, firing in 30 and pulling down eight rebounds in a key conference victory over LSU. The win enabled the Big Orange to remain in a tie for second place in the league standings. Davis connected on nine of 13 shots from the field (.692), including two of five from long range, and knocked down all 10 free throw attempts to tie for the fourth-best 100-percent performance in Lady Vol history. Her effort was the 11th 20+ scoring effort of her career, tying her for 11th all-time at UT as a junior. In the LSU game, Davis scored 19 first-half points to help Tennessee rally from seven down to take a four-point lead at the break. She added nine more in the third, as UT built a nine-point lead against the Tigers. Davis added a team-high eight rebounds and four steals in the victorious effort, which was UT's fifth straight victory in league play and improved the Lady Vols to 11-1 at home this season. Against UConn earlier in the week, Davis hit 50 percent of her field goals (7-14), including a 2-of-4 effort from long range, to finish with 16 points and eight rebounds against the Huskies in Hartford in a game UT led at the half.

I posted her season stats and also Howard's season stats in SEC today post. I think the difference in what they have done for their teams is negligible. Davis is the better shooter overall and rebounder but Howard has a scoring edge per game.

Reactions: RollerVol
Davis is, in my opinion, having one the best single seasons in Lady Vol history. And it’s not because of her numbers — many Lady Vols over the years have matched or bested her numbers on stat sheets.

It’s because of how she, after having just come off a year in which there was so much turmoil and disappointment that she easily could have called in her career and just finished as an “okay” player, she has, instead, gotten her head together, stepped up and away from the sad girl she was last year, and transformed herself into a gracefully powerful, eloquent woman and leader.

I have never been more proud of any Lady Vol.

Hopefully she will play her senior year. Is Rennia currently in graduate school? I believe she started out college with a lot of credits from taking college level courses while in high school.

Davis is, in my opinion, having one the best single seasons in Lady Vol history. And it’s not because of her numbers — many Lady Vols over the years have matched or bested her numbers on stat sheets.

It’s because of how she, after having just come off a year in which there was so much turmoil and disappointment that she easily could have called in her career and just finished as an “okay” player, she has, instead, gotten her head together, stepped up and away from the sad girl she was last year, and transformed herself into a gracefully powerful, eloquent woman and leader.

I have never been more proud of any Lady Vol.
Coaching and attitude do make a difference. She will be one of the top 10-12 players in Tennessee history if she continues to improve and gets some assistance from other players on the team. She is a remarkable player.

Hopefully she will play her senior year. Is Rennia currently in graduate school? I believe she started out college with a lot of credits from taking college level courses while in high school.
I think Carolyn Peck said she was graduating in May

Said last night, the development of Davis along with the miracle of Massengill are the biggest wins of KJH tenure so far. I agree its an especially nice transformation for Rennia after she looked so dispirited so often last season. Didn't realize till I read the blurb what a solid season she's having statistically. Well deserved honor.

Now for her reward, she's going to see lots and lots of box and ones. Interested to see how she reacts down the stretch.

glv98, it's hard for me to comprehend how in the world so many people can drop by after losses to moan about how "nothing has changed from the last few years." If NOTHING else were different (though lots IS different), the way Davis and Massengill have performed is enough for me to want to follow KJH around campus throwing rose petals in her path. lol I can't believe how blind some people are. o_O

Said last night, the development of Davis along with the miracle of Massengill are the biggest wins of KJH tenure so far. I agree its an especially nice transformation for Rennia after she looked so dispirited so often last season. Didn't realize till I read the blurb what a solid season she's having statistically. Well deserved honor.

Now for her reward, she's going to see lots and lots of box and ones. Interested to see how she reacts down the stretch.

She reacted just right against LSU. They threw all sorts of stuff at her. She’s learning how to get easy baskets, then hit a few tough shots and you’re good. She got several buckets in transition against LSU.

Anything she can get before they get their defense set is bonus for us.

Last edited:
We all have to remember that even though Rennia has put the team onto her capable shoulders, she is actually still a work in progress herself. Davis is likely to have a few subpar games as her college career progresses, but I don't worry that she'll lose hope and check out like most of our players did in recent seasons.

I'm going to start lighting candles to the Basketball Gods that Rennia Davis stays for her final year of eligibility. She deserves to do whatever she wants/needs to do for her own personal happiness, and I'll support whatever decision she makes. But I suuuuuuure do hope it will make her personally happy to stick around!

We all have to remember that even though Rennia has put the team onto her capable shoulders, she is actually still a work in progress herself. Davis is likely to have a few subpar games as her college career progresses, but I don't worry that she'll lose hope and check out like most of our players did in recent seasons.

I'm going to start lighting candles to the Basketball Gods that Rennia Davis stays for her final year of eligibility. She deserves to do whatever she wants/needs to do for her own personal happiness, and I'll support whatever decision she makes. But I suuuuuuure do hope it will make her personally happy to stick around!

don’t even mention that lol. I was thinking about the other day and decided I didn’t even want to entertain the thought.

I do truly think she’ll stay. She seems to have bonded with this coaching staff and with this team. She and Horston seem to have a great relationship and she’s been a mentor for Jordan. I think she’ll stay and play another season to see what they can get done. I really think she wants to turn things around and have something positive to look back on.

Stay the final year with no classes and bring home the ‘natty!!!!!

don’t even mention that lol. I was thinking about the other day and decided I didn’t even want to entertain the thought.

I do truly think she’ll stay. She seems to have bonded with this coaching staff and with this team. She and Horston seem to have a great relationship and she’s been a mentor for Jordan. I think she’ll stay and play another season to see what they can get done. I really think she wants to turn things around and have something positive to look back on.

Stay the final year with no classes and bring home the ‘natty!!!!!

No worries. I have neutralized the jinx by lighting an orange candle with the letters R.D.S. carved into the side of it. (Rennia Davis Stay) ; )

But seriously, I think the NCAA mandates that players have to be full-time students to be eligible. That's okay. Rennia can just work on her Master's Degree. Or, if she's already got one of those, she could start on her way to being Dr. Rennia Davis. :) For what it's worth, my gut tells my that Ms. Davis will want to stay.

Reactions: VolBall09
No worries. I have neutralized the jinx by lighting an orange candle with the letters R.D.S. carved into the side of it. (Rennia Davis Stay) ; )

But seriously, I think the NCAA mandates that players have to be full-time students to be eligible. That's okay. Rennia can just work on her Master's Degree. Or, if she's already got one of those, she could start on her way to being Dr. Rennia Davis. :) For what it's worth, my gut tells my that Ms. Davis will want to stay.

My gut thinks so too. I’m so proud of her improvement as a person this season. Not just as a player. Warms my heart to see it.

Reactions: lvocd
Coaching and attitude do make a difference. She will be one of the top 10-12 players in Tennessee history if she continues to improve and gets some assistance from other players on the team. She is a remarkable player.

Ii think they are going to peak at the right time

SHe won't continue to see them if the rest of the girls transform as well

Reactions: lvocd

VN Store

Back