Reminder: Tomorrow (Feb.1) Karoline Striplin announces her decision

Normally you make sense, I’m not sure I understand this time though. Schaefer took over MSST in 2012 and Vivians was a 2014 recruit. She was his first high profile player, I remember him talking about how excited they were to get a great instate kid.
What I was saying was wrong he did recruit her but she had decided long before he got there that Miss St was her main school. He did have to get her there but she had been favorable them as a 9th grader.

I guess we will agree to disagree. They went from a perennial bottom feeder in the SEC to 11-5 in Vivians Freshman season, 11-5 again the next year then 13-3 her junior year. McCowan definitely made them better, but they wouldn’t have even been in a position to compete without a player like Vivians.

My original point was that Schaefer didn’t build his program with all 3 stars like you all were saying. Without that one 5 start recruit they still wouldn’t be where they are today.

The point was not that he didn't have a five star it was that he didn't have a roster of five star players ranked in the top ten which it seems some posters think you must have to win in the SEC. She wasn't a top ten player in her class number 24 that was not ranked as high as she should be. The post by the person was that Vic came in and immediately recruited a roster of five star players and so did South Carolina. That is not true and Vic hasn't had any other than Jackson top ten players since he has been there. Plus going 11 and 5 in the SEC, which Tennessee may do, seems to be terrible and that is what it is all about. Kellie is not recruiting very well which is not true and not even enough time to be proven one way or another.

Reactions: krichunaka
bottom line is kellie needs a top elite recruit she can build her team around if she hopes to be a regular nc contender instead of just settling for middling placement in the SEC each season..i think considering the history of the program this is a reasonable concern

Not so much a "huge win" as a promising start. Most fans here have been very realistic in that it's unlikely she ever becomes an All-American here, but she can definitely be a key role player and quality starter a la Sidney Spencer at some point. We're viewing her as a complimentary piece, not the centerpiece of the class. If it ends up that she IS the centerpiece of the class, then you should worry...
Sorry...I never worry; however, I agree with you. She can definitely become a key role player, along with all the other role players, but then who is the centerpiece? If it ends up she's the centerpiece, then YOU should worry. Of course time will tell.

wow, when you actually look at whats on the roster it looks like a middling mid major team. tennessee is lucky to have rennia or this season would look more like ND'S

Except the list is missing #2 Horston, #8 Davis, and Top 15 players Massengill and Green. As long as there are some elite players on the team, having lower ranked blue collar players isn't a bad thing.

They were not a good team the first two years she was there. McCowan came in 2015 and that was where the difference came in. They lost big his first season were just fair the second. True she was a great scorer but they were not beating anybody until McCowan joined her.

Hmmm...not sure about that. They went from 5-11 to 11-5 in the SEC during Victoria's freshman year and 27-7 overall. Also made the NCAAT, which I don't think they had done in awhile. Victoria was a great player, but she wasn't gonna be able to beat teams like UConn by herself.

Reactions: travis929
Hmmm...not sure about that. They went from 5-11 to 11-5 in the SEC during Victoria's freshman year and 27-7 overall. Also made the NCAAT, which I don't think they had done in awhile. Victoria was a great player, but she wasn't gonna be able to beat teams like UConn by herself.
In the original post 11 and 5 is not considered a great SEC season. I agree it is. The point was that Vic done a lot better his first couple of years than Kellie has done in her first year. Same with Dawn and none of that is true. Plus he lost to Tennessee three times in the beginning. Dawn has lost to Tennessee 9 times. Poster saying Kellie has already failed because Vic and Dawn succeeded from day one is just totally wrong. Vic was 35 and 31 his first two seasons then came the big one.

Here is the entire point of all of these post which were brought about by a poster saying that Dawn and Vic came in immediately recruited five star players and won from the very beginning. None of this is true. Vic recruited one five star player his first three years and his record after two seasons was 35 and 31 and 10 and 22 in the SEC. After three seasons he was 21 and 27 in SEC play. So the point on him is that he neither recruited or played at any type championship level his first three seasons. Dawn was 24 and 33 her first two seasons and 42 and 48 her first three. Her SEC record was 17 and 29 so no she didn't come in and set the league or WCCB on fire. So if this poster that I responded to wants to disparage what Coach Harper has done thus far at Tennessee either on the court or recruiting he or she is dead wrong and so is anyone else that wants to draw a comparison to what Vic and Dawn did and what Coach Harper has done this far. For sure she still has a lot to prove to get to where they are now, but if they had as much time as they had to get there she gets the same amount of time which is 3 to 4 years. That is all any and all that the posts are about.

Here is the entire point of all of these post which were brought about by a poster saying that Dawn and Vic came in immediately recruited five star players and won from the very beginning. None of this is true. Vic recruited one five star player his first three years and his record after two seasons was 35 and 31 and 10 and 22 in the SEC. After three seasons he was 21 and 27 in SEC play. So the point on him is that he neither recruited or played at any type championship level his first three seasons. Dawn was 24 and 33 her first two seasons and 42 and 48 her first three. Her SEC record was 17 and 29 so no she didn't come in and set the league or WCCB on fire. So if this poster that I responded to wants to disparage what Coach Harper has done thus far at Tennessee either on the court or recruiting he or she is dead wrong and so is anyone else that wants to draw a comparison to what Vic and Dawn did and what Coach Harper has done this far. For sure she still has a lot to prove to get to where they are now, but if they had as much time as they had to get there she gets the same amount of time which is 3 to 4 years. That is all any and all that the posts are about.

quit reading to much into what I posted..the point was that both vic and dawn came in and quickly turned both of their programs from bottom dwellers in the sec into nc contenders and they started recruiting big time recruits who normally wouldn't even consider SC or Miss St. kellie inherited a stacked roster and doesn't need to do half of what vic and dawn had to do. Next season Kellie should have this team vying for a SEC championship at the very least and the turnover problem should also be fixed. I think Kellie is a competent coach, so why should that be a problem for her??

Reactions: Amb3096 and djtee
quit reading to much into what I posted..the point was that both vic and dawn came in and quickly turned both of their programs from bottom dwellers in the sec into nc contenders and they started recruiting big time recruits who normally wouldn't even consider SC or Miss St. kellie inherited a stacked roster and doesn't need to do half of what vic and dawn had to do. Next season Kellie should have this team vying for a SEC championship at the very least and the turnover problem should also be fixed. I think Kellie is a competent coach, so why should that be a problem for her??

I agree with you 100%

Reactions: KellywillwinNC
They did it their fourth season if you consider 11 and 5 a good record which may turn out to be Kellie's first season SEC record. The point being they took three years going into a fourth to get to the top what makes you think Coach Harper was going to do it in one season. At this point she has done far more than they did in their first season because both had losing records.
Exactly how is the Tennessee roster stacked the five players coming off the bench are three star players or less. Davis is a five star and KK was supposed to be one but she is not no where near that rating. Horston is a five star freshmen not playing up to her capabilities and then a couple 4 star players. Holly went 19 and 13 with the same group plus five star Green injured. five star Westbrook transferred, Top JUCO Green, Collins four star, and Jackson Senior four star. Were currently 7 and 2 in the SEC where Holly went 7 and 9 for the entire season. If that is not progress without having even one player of your own recruitment on the team someone is way off in their judgement.

Last edited:
They did it their fourth season if you consider 11 and 5 a good record which may turn out to be Kellie's first season SEC record. The point being they took three years going into a fourth to get to the top what makes you think Coach Harper was going to do it in one season. At this point she has done far more than they did in their first season because both had losing records.

They think that because he/she thinks Kellie has a loaded roster. I’m not saying that is or isn’t the case but they think with the players on the roster Kelly should be playing for a championship every year. But the teams at the top SC and and MsSt have experience AND talent. State had to replace some of their best players but they still have experience in Dansberry, Bibby, and Carter. Ty Harris and Herbert-Herrigan have the experience along with Henderson and Saxton to help their team.

I expect that this team will finish better than predicted which would be a step in the right direction.

They think that because he/she thinks Kellie has a loaded roster. I’m not saying that is or isn’t the case but they think with the players on the roster Kelly should be playing for a championship every year. But the teams at the top SC and and MsSt have experience AND talent. State had to replace some of their best players but they still have experience in Dansberry, Bibby, and Carter. Ty Harris and Herbert-Herrigan have the experience along with Henderson and Saxton to help their team.

I expect that this team will finish better than predicted which would be a step in the right direction.
The thought that Tennessee has a loaded roster is totally poor judgement. Harris was a 2 or three star, Rennie 0 stars, KK may as well be a three star she hasn't played up to a four star level for any coach, McCoy was a three star, Burrell is a 4 star, Brown would've been a three star no rating foreign player, Davis 5 star, Horston 5 star freshmen hasn't caught on to the big time yet that is one place coaches need to figure out why, Key four star that is not totally ready for the college game need strength, Massengill far better player but she was a wreck last season this staff has brought her back to competent, Sanders four star not ready for SEC. That is the team one five star is injured. Then you look to whom we lost to Stanford has about seven five star players three or four are upperclassmen, UConn four five star players ranked in the top five in their class in the starting lineup, SC has five five star players ranked in top 10 and two top ranked seniors, Kentucky had a player go off and have a super game and that led to a two possession game, and Texas although people think they are not that great they have more talent on their roster than we do. The rest have been wins so that person doesn't know what he is talking about as far as talent we don't have as much as most of the teams we lost to and all but one have been on the road.

Tennessee's height is what all the hype is about when it comes to the Lady Vols...

Got one girl playing mostly on one leg....an overly aggressive sophomore guard.....a highly rated mistake riddled freshmen guard......a very tall freshmen center that is learning what it takes to compete in the SEC..... one very effective junior that carries the team on her back every game.....a new coach, staff and system....the expected stating guard loss for the season before the season began....And the beat goes on.

They give a 100% effort....That's enough for anyone.

2019_20_Tennessee_Lady_Vols.jpg

FTR, I think Kellie has done fine this season. They've beaten who they were supposed to beat, lost to teams they were supposed to lose to. Maybe soon, she will start picking off higher ranked teams.

It's kind of irrelevant to compare Vic/Dawn to Kellie year 1, though. Much like with Holly, Kellie was gifted a roster full of highly rated players. Vic and Dawn had to find a way to win games with 3-stars and eventually get noticed enough to start recruiting 5-stars. For all of Vic's success the last 4 years, it was just this season that he was able to recruit his first HS AA. I think Alaina was the first for Dawn. In both cases, it was recruiting "pretty good" (but not McD AA status) local kids (Welch for SC; Vivians for MSST) that started the recruiting engine.

Reactions: Rixxx
The thought that Tennessee has a loaded roster is totally poor judgement. Harris was a 2 or three star, Rennie 0 stars, KK may as well be a three star she hasn't played up to a four star level for any coach, McCoy was a three star, Burrell is a 4 star, Brown would've been a three star no rating foreign player, Davis 5 star, Horston 5 star freshmen hasn't caught on to the big time yet that is one place coaches need to figure out why, Key four star that is not totally ready for the college game need strength, Massengill far better player but she was a wreck last season this staff has brought her back to competent, Sanders four star not ready for SEC. That is the team one five star is injured. Then you look to whom we lost to Stanford has about seven five star players three or four are upperclassmen, UConn four five star players ranked in the top five in their class in the starting lineup, SC has five five star players ranked in top 10 and two top ranked seniors, Kentucky had a player go off and have a super game and that led to a two possession game, and Texas although people think they are not that great they have more talent on their roster than we do. The rest have been wins so that person doesn't know what he is talking about as far as talent we don't have as much as most of the teams we lost to and all but one have been on the road.

Horston, KK, Massengill and Rennia were all McD and Jordan AAs. That's more than any other team in the SEC not named SC is able to field. They undoubtedly have talent.

Reactions: Darth_Vol
Horston, KK, Massengill and Rennia were all McD and Jordan AAs. That's more than any other team in the SEC not named SC is able to field. They undoubtedly have talent.
Kk way overrated shouldn't have been on the list and our bench is the worst in the SEC when they come in everything gets bad. Our talent is way down over last season no where near. Every team that has beat us had as many AA's except Kentucky and all had a far better bench.

Reactions: GameTime
Kk way overrated shouldn't have been on the list and our bench is the worst in the SEC when they come in everything gets bad. Our talent is way down over last season no where near. Every team that has beat us had as many AA's except Kentucky and all had a far better bench.

I actually think that trophy goes to Ole Miss or Mizzu

Whenever I read someone ripping a player for not being very good, being lazy, etc. I always think of Chris Lofton. People were freaking out about how much worse he was playing and how he had just lost it or whatever. The fact is we don't know what issues some of these athletes are dealing with at school or at home. Everybody just needs take a deep breath and enjoy the journey of Kellie and the Lady Vols. If they don't get it done in the long run, then changes will be made. We haven't even seen a full season yet and I doubt the staff has been able to install everything they want. Yes, it can be frustrating at times but it is as Kellie said, "just a game."

There is a full game on youtube if anyone wants to watch it featuring Sarah Puckett playing for Muscle Shoals versus Columbia. She is not a commit yet so might not want to see her play until she is a Lady Vol may or may not be in our future. I watched the first quarter she had like 11 point couple rebounds 2 assists. I liked the way she drove the ball and the way she can pass. She is a really good shooter as well.

There is a full game on youtube if anyone wants to watch it featuring Sarah Puckett playing for Muscle Shoals versus Columbia. She is not a commit yet so might not want to see her play until she is a Lady Vol may or may not be in our future. I watched the first quarter she had like 11 point couple rebounds 2 assists. I liked the way she drove the ball and the way she can pass. She is a really good shooter as well.

This game?

Last edited:
Reactions: krichunaka
Bahaha again you don’t phase me lol. Well maybe like stepping in a pile of dog $**+ but you just clean your shoes, throw away the rag, wash your hands of course, and keep moving. The terrible thing is that stench it leaves behind I’m sure you can relate.

Far be it from me to tell my #1 fan how to stalk, but in the future when you go after me for being negative you might want to pick a post that's actually negative...

Reactions: KellywillwinNC

VN Store

Back