Reminder: the “Ignore” option is a healthy option

lvocd

Losses like last night’s brings out posters who get a thrill from getting to publicly ridicule the players and staff. Do yourselves a favor and click “ignore” under the names of those who are so obviously enjoying getting to be so openly mean-spirited.

Trust me, it helps! I can only assume that the gaping infected wound of a poster named Darth_Vol came out strong last night because I haven’t actually seen any of his posts in the months since I “ignored” it. I’ve had quite a few on ignore for a while, and added a few more last night. Now the board is far less hateful! :p

Trouble with ignore is that you still see the one you ignore's post presence,,,curiosity gets the best of me...I can't just watch a blank screen and dismiss it...ignore also gives you the option to see the content of the ingored persons post.

BC I know if I ignore someone it is because they are negavols and I can't ignore those attacks

If ignore omitted their post from my view and their name off of my page, it might work for me

Losses like last night’s brings out posters who get a thrill from getting to publicly ridicule the players and staff. Do yourselves a favor and click “ignore” under the names of those who are so obviously enjoying getting to be so openly mean-spirited.

Trust me, it helps! I can only assume that the gaping infected wound of a poster named Darth_Vol came out strong last night because I haven’t actually seen any of his posts in the months since I “ignored” it. I’ve had quite a few on ignore for a while, and added a few more last night. Now the board is far less hateful! :p
LOL

BTW,,,you just jumped a notch on my hero meter

Another healthy thing to consider is stopping, reading what you've written, asking yourself "who actually cares about this?", and unless you can answer with something meaningful, closing the page and walking away.

It's a message board. This place is not some mythical mount of wisdom. It's not a courtroom to seek and discover the truth. Just a message board. I can't tell you how many times I've half-written a post on VolNation before stopping mid-sentence to calm down and get over myself. "Oh but I'm right!" Big deal. Am I a tenured college basketball coach with years of experience? Oh? No? Then my "being right" means about as much as a garbage can stuffed to the rim with last week's pizza boxes. Nothing here is so important that it has to be said. Even if I have some experience with amateur athletics and basketball, which I do -- so what? Even if I've seen people say things that are flat out wrong, which I have -- so what? Just calm down and move on.

I find keeping that in mind helps a lot. A whole lot. Particularly when dealing with people who either cannot or do not grasp that concept.

Another healthy thing to consider is stopping, reading what you've written, asking yourself "who actually cares about this?", and unless you can answer with something meaningful, closing the page and walking away.

It's a message board. This place is not some mythical mount of wisdom. It's not a courtroom to seek and discover the truth. Just a message board. I can't tell you how many times I've half-written a post on VolNation before stopping mid-sentence to calm down and get over myself. "Oh but I'm right!" Big deal. Am I a tenured college basketball coach with years of experience? Oh? No? Then my "being right" means about as much as a garbage can stuffed to the rim with last week's pizza boxes. Nothing here is so important that it has to be said. Even if I have some experience with amateur athletics and basketball, which I do -- so what? Even if I've seen people say things that are flat out wrong, which I have -- so what? Just calm down and move on.

I find keeping that in mind helps a lot. A whole lot. Particularly when dealing with people who either cannot or do not grasp that concept.

this directed to anyone in particular?

this directed to anyone in particular?

Uh, yes, me? It's directed at me. Because that is what I tell myself. I can't begin to count the number of times I've started to write a post, or even finished it, then read over it and thought "oh get over yourself" and closed the page without posting it. It's not so often as to be a problem, but it does happen. Sometimes I don't even listen to myself. I usually end up wishing I did, though.

*adding back in what I removed since context is better than no context*
Like, here's an example. A good one even, as it involves something you said. I think you posted some days back that you liked AAU because there were too many parental politicians in high school basketball. Well when I read that I thought "WHAT?" in all capital letters in my head. AAU basketball was filled with parental politics in my experience. Half a coach's time seemed to be managing parents, controlling gossip, quelling disagreements, placating parents when they want to make this offensive change or that defensive change, keeping parents from pulling up stakes after a bad game or bad season, looking for greener pastures, or so on. So many phone calls. So many meetings in hallways next to the gym. Anyway.

THAT is not the point. This is the point. I started to write something about that not being what I remember, give stories from my experiences -- and then I thought "eh, what's the point? Why you doing this? Why bother?" Maybe your experience was different -- well, it must have been for you to say what you did. Maybe you worked in a bigger AAU program where you could dictate things more easily. Pretty likely. And maybe I was reading your post the wrong way. Who knows? Point is, did I want to get into a disagreement about it? Nope. Did I have a desire to clarify? Nuh-uh. I knew what I experienced, I didn't have a need to share those experiences, or to have them validated or whatever, so ... like I said to myself up above -- "oh get over yourself." And so I did. Closed the page and moved on.

Personally, I think that approach could help a lot of people who get caught up in all these message board shenanigans. It's just a message board. It's not anything more than that.

Last edited:
OK
Yes, my experience was vastly different

The GA Pistols competed for national championships yearly, so yes we didn't struggle with many jumpers (players who jump from bad teams to competitive or higher profile teams)... That was then,,,can't speak of now since it has been several years since I coached for them. We had over 450 girls in our program yearly, teams from 11U through HS, often 2-4 teams per age group.

I by agreement with Jack Feagin and also by choice, was the 13u "purple" coach...(In tryouts, Gold, Silver, Purple then Blue picked players in that order).. Gold and silver most often only chose 1-2 or 3 players each bc of returning players, so I usually chose my team out a pool of 50-75 tryout players. I loved this position bc I got to train athletes and make them ballers. This let me hone my training methods. Girls wanted to play for Gold and Silver so they stayed with my purple team., knowing this was how they would get there.

So yes my experience was very different...Oddly enough, I did not accept "jumpers" in fact I despised them...Thus my coaching moniker "Coach Jumper"...A parent gave this coaching name to me in 2001 bc I told an athlete of a very high profile (a daughter of an NBA legend)...You'll have to join another team...I don't take jumpers!"

VN Store

Back