Remember last week when people were trashing Houston ...

I was honestly shocked whenever they got a 5 seed. I thought they were no worse than a 4, should’ve been in the conversation for a 3. Definitely deserved one more than Wisconsin. The metrics showed all season that they were a great team but everyone was always kind of one foot in, one foot out on them.

I was honestly shocked whenever they got a 5 seed. I thought they were no worse than a 4, should’ve been in the conversation for a 3. Definitely deserved one more than Wisconsin. The metrics showed all season that they were a great team but everyone was always kind of one foot in, one foot out on them.

It's the ultimate test of whether you think the computer polls are better than the "human eye". I do.

It's not completely black-and-white; algorithmic models miss things just like humans do, but they can analyze thousands of games in ways that humans can't. Even if you're a college basketball maniac, you probably can't watch more than maybe 100'ish games per season (less than 2% of all games).

Computer polls put Houston much, much higher than humans, and it looks like the computer polls were right.

And indeed, computer polls have fared pretty well this entire tournament. No, they can't predict every game (that's impossible), but a lot of the teams that the computers thought were underseeded have proven so (Houston, Michigan, UNC, etc). Computers thought Houston was a 2, Michigan was closer to a 5 or 6 (and even I was skeptical of that), and UNC was never a "bubble team" even before they upset Duke (and maybe a 6 seed after that).

Illinois isn’t that good. I picked Houston over them. But I’m not certain any of this shows Houston is good.

Reactions: feathersax
Not much competition to hire one of the 10 best coaches in America after he burned a powerful Big 12 school and a blue blood B1G school.
And his sin was violating an outdated rule which no longer exists. Ahead of his time... probably. Does Indiana want that decision back... they're foolish if they don't.

Reactions: DiderotsGhost
And his sin was violating an outdated rule which no longer exists. Ahead of his time... probably. Does Indiana want that decision back... they're foolish if they don't.
I agree that looking back it’s dumb to be punished by archaic NCAA rules, but if you know the rules and choose to break them.. repeatedly, that’s on you.

I agree that looking back it’s dumb to be punished by archaic NCAA rules, but if you know the rules and choose to break them.. repeatedly, that’s on you.
Scott Drew broke the same rule. Unlike Indiana we didn't overreact and fire an excellent coach over an antiquated NCAA rule. Houston got a Top Ten coach, we got a national championship and Indiana is still Indiana.

Reactions: DiderotsGhost

VN Store

Back