Release of ticket list angers UT fans

U-T

http://www.thetennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll...394/1002/SPORTS

KNOXVILLE — The University of Tennessee athletics department has been peppered with complaints and questions from fans in recent days concerning UT's release of its season-ticket mailing list to a magazine subscription company.

Tennessee Athletics Director Mike Hamilton said UT's intentions were good, but he conceded that the promotion was poorly executed and poorly communicated.

"I still think it was a good thought to do something for our fans," Hamilton said. "In retrospect, it didn't turn out the way we had hoped.

"We've learned our lesson and are obviously out of the magazine business."

Hamilton said he had received assurances that the season-ticket mailing list had been suppressed and would not be passed on to other companies.

According to Hamilton, UT entered into an arrangement with Magazines.com, based in Franklin, whereby Vols season-ticket holders would receive complimentary subscriptions to the Sporting News and TV Guide for a year.

Hamilton said there was no added cost to UT or to the 23,000 season-ticket holders who control the approximate 76,000 season tickets inside Neyland Stadium.

The tradeoff was that Magazines.com would be able to show an increased circulation, while also hoping that a portion of the Vols' season-ticket base would like the magazines enough to re-subscribe the following year.

But when fans started getting ambiguously worded postcards from Magazine.com earlier this month, the reaction wasn't what UT officials or Magazines.com expected. UT responded with two mailings to season-ticket holders, attempting to explain what had happened, but the many fans remained confused or angry.

Johnnie Crutcher, a pharmacist in Lebanon and season-ticket holder for more than 30 years, said Hamilton should be fired if he signed off on such a deal.

"It's about right and wrong, and you don't give people's addresses out to some magazine company," Crutcher said. "I don't want somebody coming into my house uninvited when I'm not there, and that's what they've done.

"If Mike Hamilton authorized this, he should be publicly terminated."

Hamilton said he understands the concerns of some fans and stresses that nothing underhanded was going on.

"I agreed to the deal on the front end," Hamilton said. "I'm a big boy and can take the bullets, but we were truly trying to do something nice for our fans."

Much ado about nothing. So I get 13 pieces of junk mail one day rather than 10. Big whoopdeedoo. Some people just need something to complain about.

If that is the only thing people have to complain about, they should consider themselves lucky!

Originally posted by vols2345@Jun 12, 2005 9:05 PM
I wish i was on that list.
[snapback]103094[/snapback]​

Why? Is your subscription to Cosmo almost out? :dlol:

It's unfortunate they would quote someone from my hometown saying something so dumb.

Let's see, how many other things will fickle fans get pissed about?

Originally posted by orangetd88@Jun 12, 2005 10:45 PM
[snapback]103126[/snapback]​

Ummmm football games on Sunday night?

Originally posted by Orangewhiteblood@Jun 12, 2005 10:47 PM
Ummmm football games on Sunday night?
[snapback]103127[/snapback]​

Changing logos?

Originally posted by orangetd88@Jun 12, 2005 9:45 PM

I can't stand the bite me icon on here

What the hell....someone is already bashing our new basketball coach and he hasnt even had a game to coach in yet.

Only in America will there be such stupidity

if he can take a team like m-w to the dance. I feel he can take us too.

Not to go away from the original topic here, but I heard Pearl on the radio the other day, and he made it seem like the whole thing last week got blown out of proportion. He also made it seem as if it was more of a mutual decision between himself and the kid's parents. Bascially, the kid and his parents had some concerns about how he would fit in, and, well, Pearl told them what he thought, more or less.

It sounds good, but I dunno.

This stuff happens all the time. Databases are sold all over the place. It would be nice, though, if I just didn't have to go through so much junk mail all the time.

Originally posted by BHAMVOLFAN@Jun 12, 2005 6:07 PM
Much ado about nothing.  So I get 13 pieces of junk mail one day rather than 10.  Big whoopdeedoo.  Some people just need something to complain about.
[snapback]103081[/snapback]​

Say that when someone looks up your phone number and you start getting calls from people wanting to know if you going to the game. No can I buy em.

Originally posted by shodges119@Jun 13, 2005 2:18 PM
Say that when someone looks up your phone number and you start getting calls from people wanting to know if you going to the game.  No can I buy em.
[snapback]103313[/snapback]​

Come on!? This turned into something the Athletic Dept clearly did not intend, but address lists get sold everday by a lot of companies that you do business with everyday. Nobody is going to be calling you to see if you are using your tickets. :blink:

I believe the AD had good intentions with this. If you dont want the mag's then trash'm with the other handful of junk mail. But i guess the main complaint is the info privacy?

VN Store

Back