Relax. Maurer may not be hurt at all.

In looking at that clip, it is obvious the ball is gone. The defender wasn't in the process of hitting Maurer at the time and not even at a full head of steam as it were. It was malicious. It was a late hit. Not getting called was BS.

But it was Bama
It wasn’t late. You get one step.

Interesting. It seems we have two camps here on VN. Ones that think it is a bad thing to risk head injury and CTE, and the other that thinks California is a bunch of pussies for disallowing full contact football for little kids.

No where did i say contact football should be disallowed. But the ones advocatiing playing "through" a head injuries likely did exactly that..thus their poor reasoning skills.

They also likely havent seen the devastion a head injury left unchecked can wreak on thr player, his family and their combined futures.

So let them throw around the word pussy if that makes them feel better. For me though, i prefer players to leave UT knowing the staff amd fans had their best interests in mind.

Reactions: 1vol8
If I had to guess the reason he was held out was precautionary. If he indeed was concussed last week (even if minor) a shot to the head could make it worse. I personally would rather have him as healthy as possible going into next week and beyond and a (hypothetical) win at Alabama wouldn’t change that.

Exactly what I've been saying

Reactions: 1vol8
If I had to guess the reason he was held out was precautionary. If he indeed was concussed last week (even if minor) a shot to the head could make it worse. I personally would rather have him as healthy as possible going into next week and beyond and a (hypothetical) win at Alabama wouldn’t change that.

d91.gif

Shane Lee is 243 lbs, and he hit Maurer late. Maurer weighing 225 wouldn't have stopped him from flying into Darnell Wright which, hitting his leg on the way is what caused his concussion. Wright weighs 330, he's not going to move much at all if someone 225 or 195 falls into him; it's just physics at that point.

Whoa!!! I just re-watched that **** Maurer took. No way that is not a late hit. Defender was 5-7 yards away from Maurer when Maurer let go of the ball. He kept coming and then hit Maurer. That gets called every time by a reasonably competent referee.

Reactions: FallCreekVols
Whoa!!! I just re-watched that **** Maurer took. No way that is not a late hit. Defender was 5-7 yards away from Maurer when Maurer let go of the ball. He kept coming and then hit Maurer. That gets called every time by a reasonably competent referee.

I replayed it several times and count it as about a step and a half. I actually thought the refs call personal foul roughing the passer (which it was) initially They then said they were going to review it for targeting. They came back and said it was not targeting so no foul. If it was roughing the passer that isn't reviewable I thought?

People keep posting that as if it's breaking news. We all know that and I'm not sure where I have ever said otherwise?
Well many have acted like he for sure has had 2 concussions, some have even said they wouldn't play him even if the doctors cleared him. Others act like anyone hoping Maurer can play doesn't care about a head injury. That is a blatant lie. Bottom line is nobody knows to what extent or how many times he has been concussed. A person can be called to protocol and not have a concussion at all, it doesn't for sure mean he is concussed. Maybe just maybe he could have been sent to protocol and was not concussed but Pruitt and staff elected to be safe and hold him out. That's all I am saying and many are saying, and YES in the end it will be doctors and parents decision and if he plays nobody should say nothing about it either because they aren't going to let him go if he isn't ready. If he is I will be happy, if he isn't I don't want him playing it's simple as that. Folks on here are doing nothing but assuming at this point. GBO!

Reactions: cgrish and gunner
Debatable. At a minimum he's been in protocol twice. Maybe should have been checked out after that UGA hit he took too.

Just because a player is in the protocols doesn’t mean he actually had a concussion.

The Georgia game is well documented that he didn’t not have a concussion as it wasn’t a head injury.

Well many have acted like he for sure has had 2 concussions, some have even said they wouldn't play him even if the doctors cleared him. Others act like anyone hoping Maurer can play doesn't care about a head injury. That is a blatant lie. Bottom line is nobody knows to what extent or how many times he has been concussed. A person can be called to protocol and not have a concussion at all, it doesn't for sure mean he is concussed. Maybe just maybe he could have been sent to protocol and was not concussed but Pruitt and staff elected to be safe and hold him out. That's all I am saying and many are saying, and YES in the end it will be doctors and parents decision and if he plays nobody should say nothing about it either because they aren't going to let him go if he isn't ready. If he is I will be happy, if he isn't I don't want him playing it's simple as that. Folks on here are doing nothing but assuming at this point. GBO!

He has had two concussions:
Brian Maurer suffers concussion in second straight game after Alabama hit

What Jeremy Pruitt said about QB Brian Maurer suffering another concussion

Not sure why you are struggling so mightily to accept that Maurer was concussed in both games.

Not sure why you are struggling so mightily to accept that Maurer was concussed in both games.

Are you his Doctor? Is the writer?

The only people that know with complete certainty the extent of his injuries and his full medical treatment and condition are his medical professionals.

Everyone is just speculating about it. That’s why I’m struggling with it. There is a lot of misinformation and misinformed people regarding this topic.

Reactions: vollygirl

The only statement that he actually had a concussion came from the writers of the articles? CJP just said he was being evaluated, and I haven't seen anybody say a CT scan showed he actually had a concussion.

I'll hold out hope the kid is okay until somebody with actual knowledge says otherwise.

VN Store

Back