Relax. Maurer may not be hurt at all.

Are you his Doctor? Is the writer?

The only people that know with complete certainty the extent of his injuries and his full medical treatment and condition are his medical professionals.

Everyone is just speculating about it. That’s why I’m struggling with it. There is a lot of misinformation and misinformed people regarding this topic.

Better not believe Pruitt since he's not a doctor right?

The only statement that he actually had a concussion came from the writers of the articles? CJP just said he was being evaluated, and I haven't seen anybody say a CT scan showed he actually had a concussion.

I'll hold out hope the kid is okay until somebody with actual knowledge says otherwise.
Don't think a CT scan is definitive of a concussion. It can be, but plenty of concussions show nothing on a CT scan.

Okay, so no need to get wrapped up around whether the first injury, where he jammed his neck after flipping over, was a concussion, or a neck injury with concussion-like symptoms, and whether Pruitt and the media were being medically accurate when they called it a concussion or just being lazy with the shorthand for "he's in concussion protocol".

No matter what of all that is true, we know that (a) Maurer has been injured two weeks in a row, and (b) those injuries have both been related to those delicate things called neurons, that run from the brain down the spine and out to all the other parts of the body.

Two weeks in a row with injuries to those little puppies means, let's be cautious with him. His health is worth taking the time to be sure he's good to go.

If he misses the USCe game, guess we'll get to see how fast Shrout can grow up. Or see 60 minutes of JJ in the wildcat, haha. :)

Either way, wishing Maurer quick recovery and no lasting damage.

Go Vols!

Last edited:
Reactions: vollygirl
The only statement that he actually had a concussion came from the writers of the articles? CJP just said he was being evaluated, and I haven't seen anybody say a CT scan showed he actually had a concussion.

I'll hold out hope the kid is okay until somebody with actual knowledge says otherwise.

“He’s got a concussion. He hit his head on the ground,” Pruitt said at his weekly press conference on Monday, “he’s got a concussion, and we took him out of the game. Didn’t know it until he’d come out of the game.”

Pruitt addresses Maurer's status, how his concussion was handled

Are you in the ' Pruitt is not a doctor so I don't believe him camp' as well?

Correct being evaluated for a concussion does not mean he had one. These days any blow to the head will get you examined and evaluated. UT has been extremely cautious with Maurer.

I played football in high school in the 80’s and probably had several concussions by today’s standards.

Our coaches used to call it “getting your bell rung” and it happened to me several times.

On one occasion, I completely blacked out after getting hit in the head and next thing I remember was someone putting smelling salts in my face and the coach yelling at me to get off the field so they could resume practice. I got up as soon as I could felt sick to my stomach, puked and took a few plays off but got right back in there with the worst headache that you could ever imagine.

Ask anyone from that era if they ever had their bell rung while playing football and I bet they would describe a similar incident.

Okay, so no need to get wrapped up around whether the first injury, where he jammed his neck after flipping over, was a concussion, or a neck injury with concussion-like symptoms, and whether Pruitt and the media were being medically accurate when they called it a concussion or just being lazy with the shorthand for "he's in concussion protocol".

No matter what of all that is true, we know that (a) Maurer has been injured two weeks in a row, and (b) those injuries have both been related to those delicate things called neurons, that run from the brain down the spine and out to all the other parts of the body.

Two weeks in a row with injuries to those little puppies means, let's be cautious with him. His health is worth taking the time to be sure he's good to go.

If he misses the USCe game, guess we'll get to see how fast Shrout can grow up. Or see 60 minutes of JJ in the wildcat, haha. :)

Either way, wishing Maurer quick recovery and no lasting damage.

Go Vols!

Yep, we can all certainly agree with that assessment. Thanks for the clarity JP. 😀

If he had a concussion after the MSU game, there is no way he should have played against Alabama. One more concussion and his career is over. But JMHO.

“He’s got a concussion. He hit his head on the ground,” Pruitt said at his weekly press conference on Monday, “he’s got a concussion, and we took him out of the game. Didn’t know it until he’d come out of the game.”

I'm in the camp that doesn't want to believe the kid hit his head hard enough TWICE to have a concussion.

Reactions: gunner

I believe Pruitt could have misspoke and only his Doctors know the extent of his medical condition. Everything else is pure conjecture.

I don't think it's going to be Shrout. The staff clearly isn't comfortable with him. Suspect JG gets the start. Might be the only choice we have right now. Chaney will have to really earn his salary if Maurer can't go. I still think a combination of a limited plan for JG and a lot of Jennings in the wildcat would be the best way to go.

One thing is certain. We absolutely need to put the game on the backs of the OL and RBs. Two TEs and run the hell out of the ball. The biggest problem with this is that our punting sucks right now. We really need to fix whatever has gone haywire with the punting game. Just can't afford to give USC a short field with 25 yard punts.

At the end of the day, this is the SEC. Without Maurer, all of the above might be shuffling deck chairs on the titanic. I don't have a lot of expectations for the rest of the season. Just hope for no significant injuries, a lot of playing time for the youngsters and recruit our backsides off with a juco or grad transfer qb at the top of the list.

I believe Pruitt could have misspoke and only his Doctors know the extent of his medical condition. Everything else is pure conjecture.

Ah, so now Pruitt misspoke when he said 'Maurer has a concussion'

Remind me, when's the last time an injury report was delivered to the public via UT's medical staff directly and not the coach?

Ah, so now Pruitt misspoke when he said 'Maurer has a concussion'

Remind me, when's the last time an injury report was delivered to the public via UT's medical staff directly and not the coach?

Are you a Dr? Is Pruitt? Pruitt is certainly a football coach first and foremost, and not a Dr. It’s entirely possible that he misspoke. It’s very probable that he was referring to Maurer being in concussion protocols.

All that we know with 100 percent certainty is that Maurer has had injuries to his upper body which could include his head and neck.

To state that Maurer has had 2 concussions is completely erroneous and irresponsible on your part.

Are you a Dr? Is Pruitt? Pruitt is certainly a football coach first and foremost, and not a Dr. It’s entirely possible that he misspoke. It’s very probable that he was referring to Maurer being in concussion protocols.

All that we know with 100 percent certainty is that Maurer has had injuries to his upper body which could include his head and neck.

To state that Maurer has had 2 concussions is completely erroneous and irresponsible on your part.

Post Mississippi State
Jeremy Pruitt: “He’s got a concussion. He hit his head on the ground, he’s got a concussion, and we took him out of the game. Didn’t know it until he’d come out of the game.”

Post Alabama
Jeremy Pruitt: “But I know this: They hit our quarterback, and he got a concussion and there wasn’t no flag."

@gunner: "I do not believe you sir, as you are not a medical doctor"

Reactions: 37620VOL
Post Mississippi State
Jeremy Pruitt: “He’s got a concussion. He hit his head on the ground, he’s got a concussion, and we took him out of the game. Didn’t know it until he’d come out of the game.”

Post Alabama
Jeremy Pruitt: “But I know this: They hit our quarterback, and he got a concussion and there wasn’t no flag."

Really none of his statements matter. Maurer will either be cleared to play by the medical staff or he won't. I said this the other day though.... I wish Pruitt would choose his words a little more carefully just for his own sake.

Do CT scans indicate concussions? They’re not even used to diagnose CTE which is extensive damage to the brain but can only be confirmed by autopsy. My opinion is that it was a neck sprain against MSU and anything neck or spine related is prone to cause panic reaction to the masses. So concussion protocol is similar enough to the precaution needed and much more sellable for PR purposes.

Really none of his statements matter. Maurer will either be cleared to play by the medical staff or he won't. I said this the other day though.... I wish Pruitt would choose his words a little more carefully just for his own sake.

Correct. It hurts the program and the player when you use the word concussion. Especially, if it’s a QB.

Pruitt should protect the player’s reputation and be as vague as possible when discussing injuries, and certainly injuries to the head/neck.

Just because a player is in the protocols doesn’t mean he actually had a concussion.

The Georgia game is well documented that he didn’t not have a concussion as it wasn’t a head injury.

Or maybe he was not checked for one?

Correct. It hurts the program and the player when you use the word concussion. Especially, if it’s a QB.

Pruitt should protect the player’s reputation and be as vague as possible when discussing injuries, and certainly injuries to the head/neck.

Sounds like Butch... "lower body injury". Sure.

Post Mississippi State

Post Alabama

You don’t have to believe me, I’m not standing knee deep in BS like you are.

It’s wrong to speak about Maurer’s injuries without all the facts and you have certainly been doing that.

I’m sorry that you don’t like being called out for hurting this kids reputation but you clearly can NOT speak with 100 percent certainty about Maurer’s condition, so why don’t you stop spreading the BS and hurting this kids reputation?

Please, do explain this statement. Irresponsible? To repeat what the HC said with his own mouth. I get wanting the guy to be ok and in the game, but this is a bit much.

You don’t have to believe me, I’m not standing knee deep in BS like you are.

It’s wrong to speak about Maurer’s injuries without all the facts and you have certainly been doing that.

I’m sorry that you don’t like being called out for hurting this kids reputation but you clearly can NOT speak with 100 percent certainty about Maurer’s condition, so why don’t you stop spreading the BS and hurting this kids reputation?

It takes a staggering level of cognitive dissonance to refer to direct quotes from Pruitt as "BS" because you don't like the content of the quotes.

Last edited:
It takes a staggering level of cognitive dissonance to refer to direct quotes as from Pruitt "BS" because you don't like the content of the quotes.

And implying that you are damaging a player's reputation by quoting the player's coach from sources with statewide and possibly national distribution? I didn't realize you had such influence Beardy.

And implying that you are damaging a player's reputation by quoting the player's coach from sources with statewide and possibly national distribution? I didn't realize you had such influence Beardy.
giphy.gif

VN Store

Back