Recruiting

This!

I think the addition of Powell and Jackson eased a lot of people’s mind in regards to recruiting for the short term, but it still doesn’t negate the fact the it’s imperative to have a good 2023 class unless we’re going to play the portal game every year and that’s no fun.

I don’t think we’re quite in the position to be picky as of yet, and the way the rich has been getting richer these last two cycles, we have to turn it up a notch recruiting these high school kids.
Two or three high school players will suffice for the 2023 class and then get in the portal. Portal should be half your class going forward cause if you can add two experienced elite players every year to a class your always ahead. Of course lean to the players with two years remaining to play instead of one and done seniors.

Ha: How about you buzz off. I didn't realize our recruiting was going so gangbusters that the staff can concentrate solely on fit. In fact, Harper's recruiting has been, well, let's just say, less than sizzling. We signed one prospect in '22, got 0 commits for '23. But my point is this: If you recruit only prospects who are only a dream to coach, you'll likely end up with a lot of role-playing 3 stars--which we have a few of already. That's the way it is. Some of the top players can be more challenging, maybe have some ego/family issues--but that's why you are running the program and have a staff. You think the top BB programs in the country--men and women--ignore the best prospects because they may not be the right fit? Get real. They don't. They recruit them and sign them, if they can. That's the way it rolls if you aim to win championships. PS recruited kids who were challenging to coach, as did Warlick. If your program is strong, and the coach/staff are strong, then 9 out of 10 of the players you sign will WANT to fit in. No coach is turning down a 5 star because the coach is not sure she'll be a fit. Unless she's a known bad apple, you'll sign her and then hope she works to fit in with your culture and that you and your staff can inculcate your values with her. Sometimes it doesn't work out--true for every program for a variety of reasons--and you move on. Buzz, buzz.
Kellie made it clear from day one that she will not recruit players who can’t compete, and that means players who can win a national championship. She has just started. Most recruits don’t even know who she is. Year one, she had to establish herself and build relationships with the team, ask them to buy into her system. Year two we had Covid and an exodus of some players. We also had a player who didn’t listen to Kellie and she transferred. Year three, Kellie brings in a new top-notch staff with Sam and Joy. And we all know recruiting is about building long-term relationships. Kellie also refuses to have drama, thank goodness. It took Staley 6, 7 years to get SC on track. Buzz off.

Ha: How about you buzz off. I didn't realize our recruiting was going so gangbusters that the staff can concentrate solely on fit. In fact, Harper's recruiting has been, well, let's just say, less than sizzling. We signed one prospect in '22, got 0 commits for '23. But my point is this: If you recruit only prospects who are only a dream to coach, you'll likely end up with a lot of role-playing 3 stars--which we have a few of already. That's the way it is. Some of the top players can be more challenging, maybe have some ego/family issues--but that's why you are running the program and have a staff. You think the top BB programs in the country--men and women--ignore the best prospects because they may not be the right fit? Get real. They don't. They recruit them and sign them, if they can. That's the way it rolls if you aim to win championships. PS recruited kids who were challenging to coach, as did Warlick. If your program is strong, and the coach/staff are strong, then 9 out of 10 of the players you sign will WANT to fit in. No coach is turning down a 5 star because the coach is not sure she'll be a fit. Unless she's a known bad apple, you'll sign her and then hope she works to fit in with your culture and that you and your staff can inculcate your values with her. Sometimes it doesn't work out--true for every program for a variety of reasons--and you move on. Buzz, buzz.
Want to fit in? Uh, no. Pat had players who wanted to be Lady Vols, we’re, and then refused to fit in. They left.

Reactions: VolBall09
This!

I think the addition of Powell and Jackson eased a lot of people’s mind in regards to recruiting for the short term, but it still doesn’t negate the fact the it’s imperative to have a good 2023 class unless we’re going to play the portal game every year and that’s no fun.

I don’t think we’re quite in the position to be picky as of yet, and the way the rich has been getting richer these last two cycles, we have to turn it up a notch recruiting these high school kids.

So you’re saying the freshman didn’t turn out to be much better than expected?

Because they definitely did. There is 0 wrong with our recruiting and it’s being done on fit. Everyone was so concerned about the subpar recruits Kellie had for last season.

Puckett? Great
Striplin? Potential through the roof and came on toward tournament time
Wynn? Athlete out the building and becoming a lockdown defender
Miles? Single-handedly changed our defense and pace of play almost every game she entered as a true freshman

I don’t care if we haven’t landed several top 10 recruits. She’s going to recruit players that fit, and so far I really like the product that she is putting on the floor.

Plus she added extremely good and experienced talent from the portal. I’d say you’re much better getting those top 25 kids in the portal with two years of experience. For freshmen bring in 30-50 kids who have talent and will compete for a spot and better themselves for time. Pretty good recipe if you ask me…

Last edited:
So you’re saying the freshman didn’t turn out to be much better than expected?

Because they definitely did. There is 0 wrong with our recruiting and it’s being done on fit. Everyone was so concerned about the subpar recruits Kellie had for last season.

Puckett? Great
Striplin? Potential through the roof and came on toward tournament time
Wynn? Athlete out the building and becoming a lockdown defender
Miles? Single-handedly changed out defense and pace of play almost every game she entered as a true freshman

I don’t care if we haven’t landed several top 10 recruits. She’s going to recruit players that fit, and so far I really like the product that’s putting on the floor.

Plus she added extremely good and experienced talent from the portal. I’d say you’re much better getting those top 25 kids in the portal with two years of experience. For freshmen being in 30-50 kids who have talent and will compete for a spot and better themselves for time. Pretty good recipe if you ask me…
Not once did I say our freshman didn’t turn out better than expected! It’s actually kind of scary how you pulled that out of thin air with the words I actually said.

In case you didn’t understand, the essence of my post is, we need a good 2023 class! That’s it, that’s all!

Reactions: Lurker
Not once did I say our freshmen didn’t turn out better than expected! It’s actually kind of scary how you pulled that out of thin air with the words I actually said.

In case you didn’t understand, the essence of my post is, we need a good 2023 class! That’s it, that’s all!

Want to fit in? Uh, no. Pat had players who wanted to be Lady Vols, we’re, and then refused to fit in. They left.

Way the portal is now you can’t even compare what Pat did to what Kellie is doing. Night and day environment.

Anosike and Parker HATED each other as freshmen. They worked through it and won championships because they wanted to win and Pat could paint the big picture for them.

This day and age if you recruited two players like that who disliked each other that much one would be in the portal at Christmas. Totally different landscape. You have to approach things much more cautiously with recruiting. Has to be a good fit for the player, coaches, parents and teammates.

There is a reason this Lady Vol team had so much fun this season. They had a ton of adversity but they LOVE each other.

Last edited:
Two or three high school players will suffice for the 2023 class and then get in the portal. Portal should be half your class going forward cause if you can add two experienced elite players every year to a class your always ahead. Of course lean to the players with two years remaining to play instead of one and done seniors.

This is exactly it. Get HS kids who fit, want to compete and want to be Lady Vols. Hopefully top 50 or so but I wouldn’t compromise myself to bring in Top 5 recruits. No guarantees.

Get your golden eggs from the portal with two years of experience, more maturity and a much better idea of what they really want in a team and coach.

I think you fully underestimate how much Kellie does NOT care what a kid is ranked. We will see you post about stuff like this for years while Kellie wins with sub par (according to you) recruits.

With the portal it’s completely different. Those Top 5-10 kids are usually just the ones with the loudest coach and loudest parents. Geno will always get the truly best recruit in every class, Dawn will get the next 1-2. After that I truly don’t think there is much difference between the #5 player in the country and the #55 player. Each season there is usually 1 impact freshman nationally. Bueckers was last season and lived up to her hype. This season?

3 star unrated Aneesah Morrow.

Fudd was the #1 player but was nowhere near as impactful.

90% of the folks on this forum never heard of Aneesah Morrow until the season was over half gone. Fudd earned a starters spot on the best team of 5 stars ever assembled and would have put up high numbers of pts and minutes if not for injuries and illness. AND made it to the National championship game while Murrow was sitting home slurping up fries

Way the portal is now you can’t even compare what Pat did to what Kellie is doing. Night and day environment.

Anosike and Parker HATED each other as freshmen. They worked through it and won championships because they wanted to win and Pat could paint the big picture for them.

This day and age if you recruited two players like that who disliked each other that much one would be in the portal at Christmas. Totally different landscape. You have to approach things much more cautiously with recruiting. Has to be a good fit for the player, coaches, parents and teammates.

There is a reason this Lady Vol team had so much fun this season. They had a ton of adversity but they LOVE each other.
Exactly. My point is that plenty of players refuse to fit in. Peggy Evans, for example.

90% of the folks on this forum never heard of Aneesah Morrow until the season was over half gone. Fudd earned a starters spot on the best team of 5 stars ever assembled and would have put up high numbers of pts and minutes if not for injuries and illness. AND made it to the National championship game while Murrow was sitting home slurping up fries
Fudd is a dud.

Fudd is a dud.

I tend to agree. At this point she is a pure shooter but that is her only offensive game. She is a poor defender.

She’s basically just a jump shot. I don’t really see how that equates to the #1 player in the country. Maybe Geno just isn’t allowing her to do anything else, but I didn’t see much diversity in her game at all.

I tend to agree. At this point she is a pure shooter but that is her only offensive game. She is a poor defender.

She’s basically just a jump shot. I don’t really see how that equates to the #1 player in the country. Maybe Geno just isn’t allowing her to do anything else, but I didn’t see much diversity in her game at all.
In the right offense, I can see her being deadly even if her offensive game is limited. She's better than KML, and she had a really good college career. If UConn had a post player that was worth defending, then Fudd would be much better than she's shown out thus far. I still have no idea how she got so many open looks vs. Tennessee.

Reactions: LadyVol1908

This is it i watched alot of her game tape and watched her play live i never understood the hype especially being the number 1 player in the class she was not a game changer but i also said the same thing about ONO didnt not understand how she was the nunber one player in her class either

This is it i watched alot of her game tape and watched her play live i never understood the hype especially being the number 1 player in the class she was not a game changer but i also said the same thing about ONO didnt not understand how she was the nunber one player in her class either
Ono ended up being the 5th ranked player in her class. Chrystin Williams was number 1. Ono's Knee injury slowed her down a bit in high school and she did not jump leaps and bounds at the college level either.

Reactions: Rons1989
Since his #1 recruit, Milton, did so well your example fits?
Yeah, but you have to remember -- He kept the same system and switched the player. Not the other way around (to stay with the same player & compromise or change his own system.....)

I agree we will see how Kellie is as a recruiter with the 23 class. If we don’t get any top players something isn’t right. Like I have said previously Holly struggled coaching talent, but she brought in top players. Her last class was Jordan H and Tamari.

I agree we will see how Kellie is as a recruiter with the 23 class. If we don’t get any top players something isn’t right. Like I have said previously Holly struggled coaching talent, but she brought in top players. Her last class was Jordan H and Tamari.

Ok fire Kellie If she didn't

Reactions: AntiochVol81

#2 Jordan Horston

#47 Tamari Key

#100 Saunders
Not ranked Rennie

I would not call this a class of top players. Coming in …… But Jordan was coming in ! You have to admit Saunders and Rennie were not top players! Key has made herself into a good post with our coaches help ! We need top ten players but if not at least top 20—-30…Just my opinion…

I do believe 2023 will see us getting back to top recruits! 🤔

Did Tennessee not just sign the #11 recruit in the 2022 Class? They recruited some others ranked high that went elsewhere which is perfectly fine. Because they followed it up with signing 2 high caliber starters with Rickea Jackson being an elite player. Jasmine Powell a former 4⭐⭐⭐⭐️ recruit out of HS was the best PG at the portal when she signed with Tennessee. She can take her game to another level on Rocky Top 🍊.

When Heuple came in last season, he had a s*it show to deal with. Milton was what he could get at the time. And Milton isn't a bad quarterback.....he hasn't been coached. With some coaching and practice, he could be good but not great. But he is a good fit for Heuple's system and culture.
Who is Heuple?

Reactions: Lucy
Did Tennessee not just sign the #11 recruit in the 2022 Class? They recruited some others ranked high that went elsewhere which is perfectly fine. Because they followed it up with signing 2 high caliber starters with Rickea Jackson being an elite player. Jasmine Powell a former 4⭐⭐⭐⭐️ recruit out of HS was the best PG at the portal when she signed with Tennessee. She can take her game to another level on Rocky Top 🍊.

Powell is still one of the best if not the best PG from the portal IMO. Pinzan is a good one as well. Outside of her I haven’t seen many other true PGs in there.

Owusu is obviously very talented PG as well but I don’t think she would have been the right fit for us anyway.

Powell is still one of the best if not the best PG from the portal IMO. Pinzan is a good one as well. Outside of her I haven’t seen many other true PGs in there.

Owusu is obviously very talented PG as well but I don’t think she would have been the right fit for us anyway.
Regarding Owusu, why wouldn’t she had fit in?

Reactions: ATLVolFan06

VN Store

Back