Recruiting

Honestly I just want to see some development of offensive players. We’re going to lose a lot of games. People will probably want heupel’s head but it will take time to rebuild roster not only with talent but with talent that fits heupel’s offense
Yup this is a 5 year rebuild at minimum

Recruiting will be fine. Everyone doubted Dooley and Butch and both held their own with Butch becoming a great closer. I think CJH and the staff he has assembled will do consistently be in the top 15 in the country.

Win games and TN recruits itself. He hasn’t been at a school like ours as a HC and now he has the best of everything. If they can win, show a fun playing style and put up some stat lines equal to everywhere else he’s been....recruiting will take care of itself. I see 6 win floor with 8 being very plausible. Depth from attrition and the threat of more will be the killer IMO. Plus whatever NCAA crap they have to wade through. Hopefully, it’s just a bowl ban for a few years and not too tough on scholarships.
This ☝

2012: #96
2013: #79
2014: #68
2015: #71
2016: #65
2017: #55
-----------
2018: #62
2019: #60
2020: #75
2021: #55

Yeah, it really fell off the map, huh? Looks kinda like his most recent class was the best in UCF history. And even that 2020 class at #75 was mostly due to UCF taking a lower number of players; not a drop in star rating. I don't know how his recruiting will translate to the SEC, but there's nothing in his track record at UCF that supports anything you've said.
Falling off the map = your words......trending downward = my words. You don't think that going from 55 in 2017 to 75 in 2020 is trending downward? I get it there has got to be a silver lining here someplace. IMO not gonna be in recruiting but hopefully I am wrong. BTW this is what CBS has to say about CJH.....I didn't pull the recruiting negativity out of thin air...........
Screen Shot 2021-02-19 at 11.02.47 PM.png

Last edited:
With our schedule next season 5 or 6 wins are there with realistic opportunities for 1 or 2 more

I am not a believer yet but am optimistic. In the past he has recruited at mizzou and ucf. Both programs have a recruiting ceiling. Here there is a dramatically higher ceiling. His early recruiting success is going to hinge on whatever ncaa dog house we end up in

Falling off the map = your words......trending downward = my words. You don't think that going from 55 in 2017 to 75 in 2020 is trending downward? I get it there has got to be a silver lining here someplace. IMO not gonna be in recruiting but hopefully I am wrong. BTW this is what CBS has to say about CJH.....I didn't pull the recruiting negativity out of thin air...........
View attachment 352981

You're totally ignoring the #55 and #62 ranked classes that the #75 is sandwiched between. And not even trying to look at why that class was ranked lower than the others.

The #55 class is tied for their best class in school history and the #62 is third.

You're cherry picking one stat to fit your narrative and ignoring the overall body of work.

Are you this intellectually dishonest in everything you discuss?

I'm not sure how Heupel will do as a recruiter here at UT. But if he recruits the third best class in school history, has an off year, and then ties the best ranking for a class in school history, I would bet most here would be pretty dang excited.

Some of you guys are to worried to be positive..
He will recruit fine and the team will play great....
Try and relax, it's a long off season.

I've been looking over the coaching staff that he's been putting together.

Really good coaches that know how to relate to and teach the kids all the things they need to learn to become good men and really good footVol players.

They're also have lots of knowledge and are well experienced in how to relate to the recruits and their parents and are mostly very good recruiters.

Early on lots will depend on how hard the useless NCAA hammers us but I honestly believe that after we get out of the NCAA hell that these coaches will be able to recruit with the best of them and will really surprise lots of people.

1 thing that should help some the next year or 2 is that they'll be able to offer the opportunity to get early playing time as they rebuild our roster and some kids will really love that if they know they can learn the playbook fast.

We're in for some tough times but all is not nearly as bleak and horrid as some here on VN want you to believe.

Always remember...Here on VN we have lots of trolls and fans of other schools that are only here to stir up trouble and try to run off recruits.

VFL...GBO!!!

I think Heupel is a bright offensive mind and will def improve our lackluster offense but my concern is can he recruit at a high enough level here to succeed. And is it a huge deal even if he can’t recruit to the level of Butch and Pruitt if he does a better job of in game coaching and coaching the kids up. We all know Butch and Pruitt were good recruiters but terrible in game coaches with their recruits especially Pruitt. I do think JH will get 5 full seasons here to turn it around. What are you guys overall expectations for Heupel?

Getting talent to come to Tennessee has never been a problem. There is plenty to sell, even with our recent struggles. People questioned Butch as a recruiter before he came to Tennessee, but he landed some very highly rated classes with no power 5 coaching experience. Even Dooley, who was a lazy recruiter, landed a top 15 class his first year.

Tennessee will always get good players. What Tennessee needs is a coach who a) develops talent, b) creates a winning mentality and culture, and c) provides a schematic advantage. Those are the things that have been lacking at Tennessee for a long time. Heupel should give Tennessee part c. I think this staff should develop talent. Changing the culture may be the biggest challenge.

Heupel can’t recruit 60+ recruits in 2 classes. Butch didn’t have to follow a complete house cleaning from the AD, entire recruiting and coaching staff. Butch didn’t deal with massive player exits.

Butch also didn’t get to keep a bunch of upper classmen from the previous year because they didn’t lose eligibility. Remember, many of last year’s seniors who would have otherwise graduated will be back. And many of last year’s juniors who would only have one year left will have two. That will help. Especially on the defensive line.

Reactions: Big Al Orange
You're totally ignoring the #55 and #62 ranked classes that the #75 is sandwiched between. And not even trying to look at why that class was ranked lower than the others.

The #55 class is tied for their best class in school history and the #62 is third.

You're cherry picking one stat to fit your narrative and ignoring the overall body of work.

Are you this intellectually dishonest in everything you discuss?

I'm not sure how Heupel will do as a recruiter here at UT. But if he recruits the third best class in school history, has an off year, and then ties the best ranking for a class in school history, I would bet most here would be pretty dang excited.

I agree we cannot tell how well he will recruit here at UT but let's also be accurate with past history. Who is actually being intellectually dishonest here? The indisputable facts are 1) He never tied for the best ranked class as you claim, that would be #50 twice 2) #62 is in NOT third best as you claim 3) There have been several ranked classes at UCF better than CJH's best (those all better would be #50, #50, #54 as well as a #55 and a #57.....both better than #62) so yet another of your claim's is factually incorrect also...........4) he had a major advantage in following an undefeated season when UCF was in the national spot light and he failed to capitalize.......I will remain cautiously optimistic but not put my head in the sand

Reactions: VolunteerHillbilly
There you go. Question, if RB is in the slot or WR, is he still considered a RB on the Stat sheet?
Regardless of where they lined up in the slot or in the backfield, YES they considered a RB in the stat sheet. There is zero confusion who the RBs were regardless of how they lined upScreen Shot 2021-02-20 at 6.13.01 AM.pngs

View attachment 352981

First off, you seem to have created a VN account solely to trash Heupel. You weren't even on this board before and literally every post you've made is just trashing Heupel.
But back to recruiting ... the #75 class was due to a lower number of scholarships. Not a drop in average recruit rating. In fact, the 2020 class had a higher average star rating than the 2018 class. You're really stretching it here and it looks more like you don't understand recruiting and the various rules associated with it

Even worse, though, you're now taking a crap CBS Sports article and posting it as some sorta argument. Who gives a crap what CBS Sports said? They thought Charlie Strong to Texas and USF were "A" hires. They thought Mark Stoops at Kentucky was a weak hire. They are consistently wrong.

None of this is to say Heupel will succeed here. I don't know. But I do know you seem to have solely showed up on this board to trash Heupel and none of your arguments are particularly compelling. "Well, uh, CBS Sports doesn't like him." Most sports writers are even less informed than the people on these message boards. If your opinions are based off of crap sportswriters, then they aren't even worth discussing.

First off, you seem to have created a VN account solely to trash Heupel. You weren't even on this board before and literally every post you've made is just trashing Heupel.
But back to recruiting ... the #75 class was due to a lower number of scholarships. Not a drop in average recruit rating. In fact, the 2020 class had a higher average star rating than the 2018 class. You're really stretching it here and it looks more like you don't understand recruiting and the various rules associated with it

Even worse, though, you're now taking a crap CBS Sports article and posting it as some sorta argument. Who gives a crap what CBS Sports said? They thought Charlie Strong to Texas and USF were "A" hires. They thought Mark Stoops at Kentucky was a weak hire. They are consistently wrong.

None of this is to say Heupel will succeed here. I don't know. But I do know you seem to have solely showed up on this board to trash Heupel and none of your arguments are particularly compelling. "Well, uh, CBS Sports doesn't like him." Most sports writers are even less informed than the people on these message boards. If your opinions are based off of crap sportswriters, then they aren't even worth discussing.
There are literally hundreds of dormant accounts that suddenly went live to start fellating the hire. The rest of your post tl;dr

Why do we have to sit around and wait so dang long for them to announce sanctions? Having them hanging out there is doing more harm than the actual sanctions imo when it's all said and done. The ncaa would probably prefer to have them loom over us like a dark cloud for as long as possible...and save them for a time when things start to look up. Then ? BOOM!!!

Doom and gloom, it never stops. We'll have to wait and see about the recruiting from this staff but keep in mind we don't know what the NCAA is gonna to us and that will certainly have an effect on our recruiting. We are gonna have to live with this for a while so sit back and watch because there isn't really anything else we can do.

That may have something to do with the competition he was playing. BUT...he may also just be better at developing players. I hope so.
I mean we only played 1 more ranked team then they did last year. Im not sure the competition gap is big as everyone thinks. Our league is top heavy. Our top 2-3 teams are usually loaded. Everyone else lives off the leagues reputation.

I want to see just a little bit of improvement game to game, season to season. And an offense that is somewhat unpredictable...
Particularly in the 3rd quarter. I would like to see an attempt at halftime adjustments. We had none of that last season. Well, unless you count coming out flat as an adjustment.

Yup this is a 5 year rebuild at minimum

Every time we have one of these new coaching deals, it’s always the same thing.
“This is gonna take 5 years. We all have to be patient. “. We’re on our 25th year in 5 year rebuilds. This one will likely be like all the rest. There better be massive improvement by year 2, meaning beating everybody on the schedule except the dreaded 3, but close on those. If not there will be “peaceful protests “ in the streets with mattresses burned. If he isn’t caught with some for cause offense, he will get a year three, but you better be flirting with 10 wins by then. If not you’re out and we start again. And around and around we go.

Every time we have one of these new coaching deals, it’s always the same thing.
“This is gonna take 5 years. We all have to be patient. “. We’re on our 25th year in 5 year rebuilds. This one will likely be like all the rest. There better be massive improvement by year 2, meaning beating everybody on the schedule except the dreaded 3, but close on those. If not there will be “peaceful protests “ in the streets with mattresses burned. If he isn’t caught with some for cause offense, he will get a year three, but you better be flirting with 10 wins by then. If not you’re out and we start again. And around and around we go.
We Vol Fanatics know that a good coach only needs 3 years.
If New Coach gets 4 years his ass will be on fire.

If you don't believe the general consensus of the sports writers that is you prerogative but the reality is that most feel that Heupel was a fall back out of desperation after most frontrunners passed on the job. And with the sanctions potentially coming, frankly the job is not that attractive. Given you don't think the writers are credible I will give you my own observations. CJH teams put up a lot of points against weak competition but often stall against better teams. His teams are undisciplined and typically pile up lots of penalties on both sides of the ball. His ultra high tempo offense puts an un do burden on the defense and gives the opposition too many possessions. He doesn't effectively manage the clock and when he attempts to slow the tempo, the offense stalls. He has trouble adjusting to Nickel and Dime packages which are better suited to defend his almost exclusively vertical passing scheme. He often time gets out to good leads and then blows them in the 2nd half because the opposition wears the D down. I am looking at this from an unbiased position, you can choose to look at this through orange colored glasses...........I challenge you to prove me wrong with facts........

VN Store

Back