Recruiting Updates (Updated 1/19)

Freak

VolNation's Grand Poobah
Staff member
The Vols have a lot of visitors on campus this coming weekend and next. Use this topic to post any news or committments that you hear about. :cross:

Schaeffer seems to like South Florida.

SunSports

I still think we will end up getting him.

From GoMemphis.com - - Be sure to check out that last line!!

Tennessee recruiting

January 16, 2004

Brian Toal was surprised to find he won't be on the only New Jersey prep standout set to visit Tennessee this weekend.

A 6-2, 230-pound linebacker from Wyckoff (N.J.) Don Bosco Prep, Toal is one of four Garden State players planning to make the trip. Woodbury FB Chris Pressley, Willingboro OG Ell Ash (6-5, 260) and highly rated Sewell (N.J.) Washington LB Hugh D'Imperio (6-5, 230) are the others.

"I had no idea. It's kind of shocking. I thought I'd be the only guy from Jersey," said Toal, rated the No. 3 inside linebacker nationally by Rivals.com.

Tennessee's fortunes in New Jersey have been mixed. Lineman Bill Duff of Delran was a fan favorite in the mid-1990s, but Vols fans were infuriated when Franklin Lakes (N. J.) Ramapo QB Chris Simms backed out of his pledge and signed with Texas.

"I just talked to Chris Simms the other day," Toal said. "He said Tennessee was awesome and that maybe he should have gone there."

James Turner RB from Arkansas is reported to be the Vols 13th committment. Not sure this guy is too highly rated. He picked UT over Iowa, Arkansas State, Tulsa and Arkansas Pine Bluff. He has also played some linebacker and that may be where the Tennessee staff is projecting him to play. Rushed for 1,603 yds and 17 TD's, averaging 8.4 yards per carry.

Here is a list of kids that were on campus this weekend:

Nader Abdullah DT
Ell Ash OL
Robert Ayers LB
Demonte Bolden DT
Neil Brown DT
Sinclair Cannon ATH
Tony Carter DB
Hugh D’Imperio LB
Ryan Karl DB
Jarod Mayo LB
Anthony Parker OL
Chris Pressley RB
Brandon Siler LB
Brian Toal LB
James Turner RB
Ellix Wilson DB

Jakouri Williams, a pretty highly rated RB out of Louisiana, has committed to the Vols. That brings the count to 14. Some of the other schools interested in Williams were FSU, LSU, Nebraska and Michigan. He is 65th on Tom Lemmings top 100 list. He is a smaller back that apparently has great ability to make guys miss.

I found this on Williams (it's dated a couple months ago):

JaKouri Williams 5-11 185 4.4 Plaquemine, LA

Nominated for PrepStar Dream Team All-American. Last season he gained 1,464 yards and scored 28 TDs. He bench-presses 305 pounds, squats 565 pounds, has a 38.5 inch vertical jump and runs the 100 meter dash in 10.4 seconds. He is the second or third fastest running back in the country behind Jamil Walker. Texas A&M is rumored to be in the lead, but auburn, Florida State, Louisiana Tech, Michigan, Nebraska, Southern Mississippi, Tennessee and Tulane beg to differ. He has remarkable speed, balance and vision.

QB Brian Brohm has announced a press conference tomorrow at 3:00 to announce his college choice. Most think it will be Louisville or UT. Notre Dame could be in the mix as well. He would be our best chance at getting someone who could start next year.

VN Store

Back