Recruiting Memphis

Proximity, rivalry and a little of of all the other stuff mentioned, it's just been this way as long as can remember. But Fulmer definitely had a few wins there, especially considering all the stuff listed.

Oh, and Chism when he reads a few of these comments gonna be like
View attachment 209273
šŸ˜ƒ

Been trying to blacklist this one, my guy.

Reactions: chargervol
Here are the Memphis players on the 2019 TN roster (includes walkons) :

#9 Garrett Johnson DB 5'-11" 182 JR Germantown, TN

#33 Jeremy Banks RB 6'-1" 211 FR Cordova, TN

#33 MaLeik Gatewood DB 5'-10" 194 JR Memphis, TN

#35 Ramsey Hailey RB 5'-7" 181 SO Memphis, TN

#43 Jake Powers DB 6'-0" 178 SO Memphis, TN

#51 Drew Richmond OL 6'-5" 316 JR Memphis, TN

#75 Jerome Carvin OL 6'-5" 303 FR Cordova, TN

#89 Malik Elion WR 5'-6" 162 SR Memphis, TN

So out of the 116 players on the roster, 8 are from Memphis, 14 from Nashville area, and 9 from Knoxville.

Reactions: Big Sun
The summer 2019 roster drops SR Malik Elion and adds 2 Memphis FR:

3 Eric Gray RB Fr. 5-10 195 Memphis, Tenn. Lausanne Collegiate School

15 Hudson Clark DB R-Fr. 5-10 186 Memphis, Tenn. Briarcrest Christian School

Can someone/somebody break down our recruiting of Memphis in the past? I do know that we have gotten some stellar athletes from that area in the past. However, I do understand that Arkansas and Mississippi are also in the back yard so there goes talent to State, Ole Miss and to Arkansas.

I do remember listening to a talk show during Fulmers era and either a host or caller made the comment that Fulmer stayed out of Memphis because it is dirty. Of course, we all know of the Albert Means situation.

Did Fulmer just not recruit Memphis so as not to be tainted? Or, was there actually a lot of money thrown at kids to go elsewhere. I'm not from that area so I do not know what was or maybe still going on. In addition to all of this, over the past few years I have read where several coaches have gotten caught up in scandals for one reason or anoter.

An answer for each question or statement, from an observer not too far from "that corner of the state"....... YES, YES, YES, YES...

For the most part, the fundamentals and conditioning of most Memphis players is amongst the poorest of any area in the Southeast. It takes 2 years to get most up to speed. Other than Whitehaven currently and Melrose back in the day, the coaching at public schools in Memphis has been horrible. You are starting to get some athletes to Laussane and MUS, but those players are the exception and not the rule...
(adding to your last sentence) and not likely to attend UT.

For the most part, the fundamentals and conditioning of most Memphis players is amongst the poorest of any area in the Southeast. It takes 2 years to get most up to speed. Other than Whitehaven currently and Melrose back in the day, the coaching at public schools in Memphis has been horrible. You are starting to get some athletes to Laussane and MUS, but those players are the exception and not the rule...
Lord....I remember those Melrose teams. Crap they were good, but horribly coached.

Reactions: savannahfan
It just seems that with a large inner-city the talent level would be quite high. But, for whatever reason, I just remember the comment on the radio that Fulmer/Tennessee stayed out of Memphis for the most part. And, that there were more kids going to out-of-state colleges even though Memphis is in the State of Tennessee.

Yes it is in Tennessee, but the state might be better of if it was in Mississippi!!

I have read this whole thread.... Here is a sad but true fact about potential recruits from Memphis. Face it as hard as it sounds, the kids playing football in the Memphis school system, just for the most part, can not meet the qualifying expectations of the SEC without "help" with transcripts. I know, you say they "make it elsewhere". Not saying they can't do it here, but this won't happen often.

Here are the Memphis players on the 2019 TN roster (includes walkons) :

#9 Garrett Johnson DB 5'-11" 182 JR Germantown, TN

#33 Jeremy Banks RB 6'-1" 211 FR Cordova, TN

#33 MaLeik Gatewood DB 5'-10" 194 JR Memphis, TN

#35 Ramsey Hailey RB 5'-7" 181 SO Memphis, TN

#43 Jake Powers DB 6'-0" 178 SO Memphis, TN

#51 Drew Richmond OL 6'-5" 316 JR Memphis, TN

#75 Jerome Carvin OL 6'-5" 303 FR Cordova, TN

#89 Malik Elion WR 5'-6" 162 SR Memphis, TN

So out of the 116 players on the roster, 8 are from Memphis, 14 from Nashville area, and 9 from Knoxville.

Might want to take Drew Richmond off that list, champ.

Lord....I remember those Melrose teams. Crap they were good, but horribly coached.

The 97 Melrose team may have been the most physically talented TN HS team ever (Robertson, Moorehead, Wilson, Lott, Paine, Lias, Derrick Woods, Kevin Taylor off the top of my head). Tim Thompson (the Melrose coach) ran the right scheme for the players he had. Of course, Tim Thompson was getting paid by half the teams in the SEC so he lost his job a couple years after that. I wouldn't say they were poorly coached but they were undisciplined for sure. In the first quarter, we got more yards from Melrose personal fouls than we did from scrimmage. We did have a lead on them heading into the 4th quarter of the 97 playoffs until their players made plays (We only had 1 SEC player and he was a freshman).

Reactions: peaygolf
I have read this whole thread.... Here is a sad but true fact about potential recruits from Memphis. Face it as hard as it sounds, the kids playing football in the Memphis school system, just for the most part, can not meet the qualifying expectations of the SEC without "help" with transcripts. I know, you say they "make it elsewhere". Not saying they can't do it here, but this won't happen often.

Youā€™re gonna trigger some folks lol

The 97 Melrose team may have been the most physically talented TN HS team ever (Robertson, Moorehead, Wilson, Lott, Paine, Lias, Derrick Woods, Kevin Taylor off the top of my head). Tim Thompson (the Melrose coach) ran the right scheme for the players he had. Of course, Tim Thompson was getting paid by half the teams in the SEC so he lost his job a couple years after that. I wouldn't say they were poorly coached but they were undisciplined for sure. In the first quarter, we got more yards from Melrose personal fouls than we did from scrimmage. We did have a lead on them heading into the 4th quarter of the 97 playoffs until their players made plays (We only had 1 SEC player and he was a freshman).
I should have said "undisciplined"
100% correct.
I was at the Milan Playoff game (97 or 98) The team showed up about 15 mins before kickoff. All Gold- head to toe. It was a sight...and got beat.

I should have said "undisciplined"
100% correct.
I was at the Milan Playoff game (97 or 98) The team showed up about 15 mins before kickoff. All Gold- head to toe. It was a sight...and got beat.

You might be off on your years. Melrose won State in 96 and 98. In 97, they lost in State title game to WhiteHouse I think. We were the first team to have a lead against Melrose all season until they scored 2 TDs in the 4th.

My brother played against Milan in 99 in the playoffs (The year Milan won state). Milan was an awesome place to watch a HS game.

There hasn't been a lot of good players at those schools in a while. Germantown isnt what they used to be under Netherland. Millington hasnt had a big time recruit since Gallaway back in the mid 90s. CBHS had Ligon but he was a 3* and almost 20 yrs ago. The most consistent program in this area for the past 20 yrs has been Covington, which has only had 5-6 D-1 players.

CBHS also had Chris Walker and Bill Norton last year, but MUS is producing more high level prospects these days.

Reactions: BigOrangeMojo
You might be off on your years. Melrose won State in 96 and 98. In 97, they lost in State title game to WhiteHouse I think. We were the first team to have a lead against Melrose all season until they scored 2 TDs in the 4th.

My brother played against Milan in 99 in the playoffs (The year Milan won state). Milan was an awesome place to watch a HS game.
Ok..................I admit it, I had a senior moment. I could have bet my life Milan beat Melrose in a TSSAA playoff game between 96-02. I can't find it. 54-0 Melrose in 96 season. I stand corrected. AND I WENT TO THE GAME. Geez......How much did I drink that night????

Reactions: BigOrangeMojo

If you are just referring to inner city public schools, maybe. However, I don't think Whitehaven has had many academic casualties.

But, kids that come from CBHS, MUS, White Station, ECS, or St. George's are not going to have academic issues. Kids coming from Houston and Collierville won't either, but those aren't schools that produce much D1 talent.

If you are just referring to inner city public schools, maybe. However, I don't think Whitehaven has had many academic casualties.

But, kids that come from CBHS, MUS, White Station, ECS, or St. George's are not going to have academic issues. Kids coming from Houston and Collierville won't either, but those aren't schools that produce much D1 talent.

The HS guidance counselor got busted changing Jovon Robinson's transcripts so he could get into Auburn.....

I have never figured out how 90% of students at the old Memphis City Schools were not at minimum state requirements but almost every athlete was eligible...

The HS guidance counselor got busted changing Jovon Robinson's transcripts so he could get into Auburn.....

I have never figured out how 90% of students at the old Memphis City Schools were not at minimum state requirements but almost every athlete was eligible...

Oh there are certainly problems, and I had remembered Robinson's issue when I was writing that. There are just certain schools that won't let that happen because the coaches and administration know what a scholarship means to the student. I have never discussed it with him, but I went to law school with one of the defensive coaches at Whitehaven. I assume he would do everything he can to support a kid and keep them eligible.

He was cheating up a storm but let's be real, he was far from the only one cheating and Means wasnt the only player he steered to Bama. He was just really open about it.....

The funniest part about the Albert Means fiasco is that Logan Young paid $200k for a kid that did next to nothing on the field (played in like 7 games, IIRC), and then promptly transferred to Memphis. Talk about a poor ROI.

Reactions: Cosmo Kramer

VN Store

Back