Recruiting Memphis

XknoxvolsX

The only people who dislike winners are losers!
Can someone/somebody break down our recruiting of Memphis in the past? I do know that we have gotten some stellar athletes from that area in the past. However, I do understand that Arkansas and Mississippi are also in the back yard so there goes talent to State, Ole Miss and to Arkansas.

I do remember listening to a talk show during Fulmers era and either a host or caller made the comment that Fulmer stayed out of Memphis because it is dirty. Of course, we all know of the Albert Means situation.

Did Fulmer just not recruit Memphis so as not to be tainted? Or, was there actually a lot of money thrown at kids to go elsewhere. I'm not from that area so I do not know what was or maybe still going on. In addition to all of this, over the past few years I have read where several coaches have gotten caught up in scandals for one reason or anoter.

Fulmer/Majors had some pretty good ones...Anthony Miller, Cedric Wilson, Al Wilson (Jackson), to name a few. It's been tough, though.

For the most part, the fundamentals and conditioning of most Memphis players is amongst the poorest of any area in the Southeast. It takes 2 years to get most up to speed. Other than Whitehaven currently and Melrose back in the day, the coaching at public schools in Memphis has been horrible. You are starting to get some athletes to Laussane and MUS, but those players are the exception and not the rule...

There’s just so many factors here.
1)Memphis is closer to most SEC schools not named Tennessee.
2)Historically there’s been a lot of corruption as far as handlers, coaches being paid, etc, etc.
3)Like Nashville there’s plenty of transplants there which dilutes any instate loyalty.
4)A lot of money boosters and influencers which have loyalty to other schools are closer to Memphis as well.

Do not forget about Germantown, CBHS, Huston and Millington. There are a lot of good players here.

There hasn't been a lot of good players at those schools in a while. Germantown isnt what they used to be under Netherland. Millington hasnt had a big time recruit since Gallaway back in the mid 90s. CBHS had Ligon but he was a 3* and almost 20 yrs ago. The most consistent program in this area for the past 20 yrs has been Covington, which has only had 5-6 D-1 players.

don't forget Billy Brewer and his best recruiting tool............Platinum Plus. lol.
Brewer was just blatant and stupid. This has and still happens a lot. Kids get cars, cash, and girls thrown at them to get their commitment. Auburn has cheated so damn much that they’ve perfected it.

Reactions: lynnh
Thede are some good layers in Memphis..Problem is they are not SEC caliber players..alot of them go to other conferences because of it...

Reactions: savannahfan
Can someone/somebody break down our recruiting of Memphis in the past? I do know that we have gotten some stellar athletes from that area in the past. However, I do understand that Arkansas and Mississippi are also in the back yard so there goes talent to State, Ole Miss and to Arkansas.

I do remember listening to a talk show during Fulmers era and either a host or caller made the comment that Fulmer stayed out of Memphis because it is dirty. Of course, we all know of the Albert Means situation.

Did Fulmer just not recruit Memphis so as not to be tainted? Or, was there actually a lot of money thrown at kids to go elsewhere. I'm not from that area so I do not know what was or maybe still going on. In addition to all of this, over the past few years I have read where several coaches have gotten caught up in scandals for one reason or anoter.

Fulmer did recruit Memphis but the assistant assigned to Memphis spent more time at Platinum Plus than he did recruiting. I believe he may have been looking for a different kind of player ;);););)

Reactions: Cosmo Kramer
There hasn't been a lot of good players at those schools in a while. Germantown isnt what they used to be under Netherland. Millington hasnt had a big time recruit since Gallaway back in the mid 90s. CBHS had Ligon but he was a 3* and almost 20 yrs ago. The most consistent program in this area for the past 20 yrs has been Covington, which has only had 5-6 D-1 players.
Finally someone who gets it. That whole county has hidden talent.

Reactions: BigOrangeMojo
The lack of quality coaching is a bigger issue than a lot of people realize. There are so many naturally talented kids in the area that just get screwed because their coaching is subpar. Also means those kids are likely to get overlooked by a program like Tennessee, who can find players that are further along in their development with very similar talent.

It just seems that with a large inner-city the talent level would be quite high. But, for whatever reason, I just remember the comment on the radio that Fulmer/Tennessee stayed out of Memphis for the most part. And, that there were more kids going to out-of-state colleges even though Memphis is in the State of Tennessee.

They grow up Memphis Basketball fans and the rivalry with the Vols hurts. Penny is stirring it up again. Also, when we would play Ole Miss in Memphis, the Rebs would show up.... Ole Miss is just right down the road...

Brewer was just blatant and stupid. This has and still happens a lot. Kids get cars, cash, and girls thrown at them to get their commitment. Auburn has cheated so damn much that they’ve perfected it.
oh, so like, this isn't my first day and all lol.

Proximity, rivalry and a little of of all the other stuff mentioned, it's just been this way as long as can remember. But Fulmer definitely had a few wins there, especially considering all the stuff listed.

Oh, and Chism when he reads a few of these comments gonna be like
uwy9ccekpml7gv6vvcw1.gif
😃

Reactions: jakez4ut
The joke used to be that if they moved the state line to move Memphis to the state of Arkansas then both states would improve
Had family in from Memphis this weekend and said they left there dove programmed to record biggest loser this week and kept recording UT football from last year. Asked him when is the last Memphis high school won anything. He had no answer.

Reactions: feathersax

CBHS just had the kid go to Georgia last season, they actually produce one or two D1 players a year but yea the public schools put some good teams out but as far D1 players they are lacking, excluding Whitehaven that has been loaded with D1 talent for several years now.

There are usually only a hand full in Memphis proper that the Vols even recruit in football and with CRB the basketball player he’ll recruit from there is even smaller. It takes a lot of time and investment with our staff to spend much time in Memphis. If course a lot of other issues but the Vols just have to prioritize who and where fits best.

Reactions: feathersax
No area should be off limits for Vol recruiting...and I don't think it is. I think we should recruit more up north. A lot of those kids don't like it up there and would welcome the option to go down south.

Had family in from Memphis this weekend and said they left there dove programmed to record biggest loser this week and kept recording UT football from last year. Asked him when is the last Memphis high school won anything. He had no answer.

You should probably tell them that an SEC schedule is a little tougher than an AAC schedule. Maybe bring up Memphis’ 1-22 record against UT. Use small words, though.

VN Store

Back