'18 Recruiting Forum: Official Vanderbilt Pre-Game/Game Thread

Giving guaranteed six-year contract extensions to first-year coaches who fail to make a bowl game is on par with calling to have them fired after a disappointing Year 1. Luckily, neither will happen.

Agree, but to nashvols’ point, I’d be fine with extending the term if it makes any difference in a recruiting pitch. The term doesn’t really matter. Only the buyout matters.

He has enough time on his contact. Extending it at this point won't help recruiting nor quell negative recruiting from competitors. Want to quell negative recruiting, don't get blown out by Missouri and Vandy in your final two games.
Where do we get a time machine?

Where do we get a time machine?
No time machine needed. We all knew this was a bottom up build. Need better players and better coaching. 5-7 was about what we had with this roster and OJT coaches, at important positions. Doubt it will improve much recordwise next year but it sure better improve competitive wise.

No time machine needed. We all knew this was a bottom up build. Need better players and better coaching. 5-7 was about what we had with this roster and OJT coaches, at important positions. Doubt it will improve much recordwise next year but it sure better improve competitive wise.

Butch started with 5-7. So next year ought to be 6-6 and this recruiting class ranking should be around #5 in the country if CJP is as good as Butch. ;)

What a pizz poor excuse for a season this has been. Blew the USCe game and did not even compete against Mizzou and Vandy to end the season. CJP needs a roster purge and to make changes in staff including removing himself as DC. He's missing too much of what he needs to change/adjust as the HC regarding the overall team performance. Stevie Wonder could read a D better than JG. He's three seasons into his college career and still clueless. He's not going to lead this team to the promised land. We need O-line, D-line, LB's and safeties in the worst way. A good dose of give a shat might help as well.

This was maybe the most painful season Ive ever endured and Ive been watching since the mid-eighties. There is just so little hope we can get better next year. JG is a loser, our offense playcalling is trash and our defense is so soft. Im not worried about the recruiting class ranking...vandy and mizzou prove that matters little. I fear for the future of Tennessee football. I think we may be the doormat now. Sorry guys but I'm with @InVOLuntary we are in a bad place.

This was maybe the most painful season Ive ever endured and Ive been watching since the mid-eighties. There is just so little hope we can get better next year. JG is a loser, our offense playcalling is trash and our defense is so soft. Im not worried about the recruiting class ranking...vandy and mizzou prove that matters little. I fear for the future of Tennessee football. I think we may be the doormat now. Sorry guys but I'm with @InVOLuntary we are in a bad place.
Pruitt will right the ship. Free ride U is gone . Pruitt had little to no choice to keep the hangers on. He will out recruit everyone else in the east minus UGA and maybe Fla. Hope JG transfers. Feel like we're stuck with him though.

Reactions: Vols4us

You are not alone. Trying being a fan from the 60's. My hope is this is the darkness before the dawn, that they have hit bottom. My head tells me that's not true at all.

Reactions: bignewt

Don't think anyone would disagree about the OC, JG, and being a doormat. I want UT to win so bad I put on blinders and hope that its not as bad as it looks and that CP and staff are miracle workers and magically take a bunch of free riding, empty shells with no hearts quitters and be a 8-4 or 9-3 team. Next year fully expect to see the same cause the new better players that will come in still have to go through the S&C, and learning the system. Just hope to see a new attitude and more surprising wins and HOPEFULLY, HOPEFULLY, a 6-6 season.

Reactions: Vols4us
Pruitt will right the ship. Free ride U is gone . Pruitt had little to no choice to keep the hangers on. He will out recruit everyone else in the east minus UGA and maybe Fla. Hope JG transfers. Feel like we're stuck with him though.

I like CJP a lot. I agree he had to use what he had. But he did not see what many of us fans saw that knew better on JG. So yeah, he probably will keep using him. He will also keep losing games they should win by making that decision. It's on him. I believe he delayed the rebuild by at least a year by making that decision. Had they gone with Chryst early on they may not have taken as many hits on game results and injuries. Let him be the tackling dummy until later in the season. At least he can make a decent pre-snap read. Run a style of offense that fits his strengths in the short passing game, then make a decision on using Shrout or not.

JG has to leave yesterday. He’s a sunk cost and you can’t hold your future hostage with sunk costs. Pick a younger guy and go with him. We’ll be better off in the long-run.

We scored on a 75 yard power sweep...did we ever go back to that? I checked out late in the third quarter i was just wondering because if not Helton should be fired just for that.

Reactions: InVOLuntary
We scored on a 75 yard power sweep...did we ever go back to that? I checked out late in the third quarter i was just wondering because if not Helton should be fired just for that.
I made the same observation. Not sure we ever ran it again. Helton seems like a nice guy. He probably shouldn't have been put into this situation. In hindsite given CJP's expertise on the defensive side of the ball, he should have hired a seasoned OC where could have just turned it over and concentrated on the defense.

Reactions: bignewt
I like CJP a lot. I agree he had to use what he had. But he did not see what many of us fans saw that knew better on JG. So yeah, he probably will keep using him. He will also keep losing games they should win by making that decision. It's on him. I believe he delayed the rebuild by at least a year by making that decision. Had they gone with Chryst early on they may not have taken as many hits on game results and injuries. Let him be the tackling dummy until later in the season. At least he can make a decent pre-snap read. Run a style of offense that fits his strengths in the short passing game, then make a decision on using Shrout or not.
Chryst sux even worse...he is awful..period.

Reactions: OrangenSC
Chryst sux even worse...he is awful..period.

I know he's not good. But he's strong and gets the ball out quick. Remember the game plan is designed around the starting QB. You run a completely different scheme and play calls with him than JG. There would have been more emphasis on the run game and RPO's. Going 3 and out so much with JG killed the D. They had nothing left in most games and the end of the season. A move the chains O would have used more clock and the time of possession would not have been so skewed all season. It cost the USCe game for sure and would have made them more competitive in a couple others.

Reactions: rekinhavoc
I know he's not good. But he's strong and gets the ball out quick. Remember the game plan is designed around the starting QB. You run a completely different scheme and play calls with him than JG. There would have been more emphasis on the run game and RPO's. Going 3 and out so much with JG killed the D. They had nothing left in most games and the end of the season. A move the chains O would have used more clock and the time of possession would not have been so skewed all season. It cost the USCe game for sure and would have made them more competitive in a couple others.
He wouldn't have moved the chains any freakin better..he is absolutely awful...SMH...the guy is just not good at all.

One team has buy in, one doesn't. I bet you know which is which.

You were right. I was wrong.

I have serious concerns about the coaching. Something seems amiss. There's no way that Vandy team has as much talent as UT. If there's a motivation or scheme issue, that's on the coaches. Period. Let's hope they figure it out quickly. We don't need another rebuild.

UT has single-handedly advanced the career of two Vandy coaches. I've always believed James Franklin got the Penn State job because of his wins against us. If they lost to us every year (like they should), the perception of him would have been different. Same for Derek Mason. If he loses to UT every year, he might be out of a job by now.

Just sickening.

VN Store

Back