'18 Recruiting Forum: Official Missouri Pre-Game/Game Thread

This is a tough game to predict because both of these teams have been all over the place. Just in their last two games, Mizzou trounced UF on the road (impressive) and then struggled to beat Vandy at home (not impressive). UT looked pitiful against Charlotte and then put a whoopin' on UK. Which Mizzou team shows up? Which TN team shows up? It's anybody's guess really.

I have come to Nick's threads and picked us to lose every SEC game so far this year. Yeah, I'm that guy. Blame it on a full-blown case of BVS. That said, if there is any justice at all in the universe, we can't possibly lose to a Derek Dooley coached team. He's just the OC obviously, but still, karma owes us a tremendous debt when it comes to Doolittle. It also helps that the UK game has me hoping that maybe, just maybe, we've started to figure this football thing out.

UT - 30
Mizzou - 27
Way to go! you just jinxed it.

We beat Auburn. Everyone says well Auburn wasn't that good in the first place. We beat Kentucky. Lol they were overrated, too. This team is getting no respect, and I think they get tired of it. They come out fired up and ready to play.

Vols 31
Mizzou 13

WGWTFA

Hope I'm wrong but I can't help but feel like we have a let down game on Saturday after a big win. I feel like we're too inconsistent right now. But if we do play like we did last Saturday we can definitely win.

Mizzou 34
Vols 29

Hope I'm wrong but I can't help but feel like we have a let down game on Saturday after a big win. I feel like we're too inconsistent right now. But if we do play like we did last Saturday we can definitely win.

Mizzou 34
Vols 29
I'm leaning more towards last week being closer to a "coming of age" win.

Vols 54
Mizzou 2

Reactions: vosams

Mizzou 34
Vols 29
If it was a close hard fought win like we had in so many the first half of 2016, i might agree. But that was a beat down. If anything that will embolden these guys. Let’s GOOO

Reactions: SweetasSoda
Date: Saturday, November 17th
Game Time: 3:30 pm ET
Venue: Neyland Stadium, Knoxville, TN
Network: CBS
View attachment 175943

Tennessee remains at home this week, having thoroughly dismantled upstart Kentucky who probably thought they could walk into Neyland and take what they wanted. They didn't, and they never do. Order has been restored, and Kentucky has once again been put under the foot of Tennessee, where they belong. This week, another team rolls into Neyland who probably thinks they can dictate their will as well. Truth be told, Tennessee has not fared well against Missouri since their move to the SEC in 2012. They will likely find that things are a bit more challenging than they think. Fun fact... Derek Dooley returns to Neyland Stadium. Although he technically survived his final game against Missouri when he was coaching the Vols, the Missouri game was the nail in the coffin. His bumbling of that game was an all-timer. Of course, Missouri literally finished off Butch, so there is a weird relationship there.

Key Points:

1. Lock Down: Although Missouri is not a one dimensional team, the offense goes through Quarterback Drew Lock. Missouri is very much a less talented version of West Virginia. Will Grier is the superior QB in nearly every category, but you can put Lock in a similar camp. Now, the good news is, the Tennessee secondary is NOTHING like the team that got torched for 429 yards passing in the opener, having improved dramatically, and in their understanding of the defense. Our defense vs. WV was slow. Today, they look ready to stand toe-to-toe with a middle of the SEC team. Tennessee is giving up 205 yards passing on the season (40th nationally), but more importantly, only 158 yards per game over the last 3 games. They are improving, and they need to hold Lock to under 250 yards passing in this game.

Ready for the real eye opener... Lock is only averaging 206 yards per game vs. SEC opponents. 4/6 of those teams allow less passing yards than the Tennessee defense, but given our recent improvement, I think we nail this and hold him below 250. Key Point: Mizzou, below 250 yards passing.

2. Attack the Sky: Missouri, on the other hand is a stale 118th nationally in passing yards yielded, giving up a tasty 278. JG and the Tennessee wide receivers should be licking their chops as they are about to face the worst pass defense they have seen since the OL began to turn the corner. Jarrett did a great job feeling pressure and stepping up into the pocket on Saturday. It was actually shocking to see, having forgotten what it looks like for that to actually happen, and I expected some Dobbs like scrambles for 38 yards, but he planted and found open WR's. Perfect. We need JG to continue to be sharp, not let the INT bubble pop, and to out pass Drew Lock. In week 3, those last words were laughable. This week, they are attainable. Mizzou is 97th in the country in sacks, only averaging 1.7 sacks per game. JG needs to stay clean, feel the pressure, and hit the target, all afternoon long. Key Point: Above 250 yards passing.

3. Move Forward: One of the struggles of the Tennessee offense this year has been the insane amount of offensive plays that have resulted in a loss. Fortunately, the Vols are improving here, and at just the right time. Mizzou is 84th in the nation in this category, only managing 5.4 TFL per game. The Vols need to keep the chains moving. The Tigers are 30th in the nation in rushing defense (yards per game) but it's a little misleading. Their pass defense is so bad, teams exploit the weakness. A closer look reveals they give up 3.92 yards per carry. Hardly juggernauts. Like everyone before them, Tennessee will attack through the air, but the running game needs to be efficient enough to keep the defense honest and they need to keep falling forward, not backwards. Key Point: Reduce negative plays, establish some running game.

4. Dooley vs. Pruitt: This is just an interesting coordinator match-up between Tennessee's current head coach, and it's former head coach. In spite of being a lousy head coach, Dooley is a pretty smart dude, and he's not been bad as an OC for Mizzou. However, Pruitt is renowned for being one of the top defensive minds in college football. It will be fascinating to see how each of these coaches make counter adjustments to one another and who gets the edge. As for me, I'm taking the guy still wearing orange.

5. Stop the Run: Another key component which I'm not going to detail is the need to sidetrack the Mizzou running game. Their top backs hit around 5 yards per carry, which is really impressive, and the DL needs to keep that locked down.

Prediction: The dreaded 3:30 CBS time slot awaits us. I can already hear the announcers flabbergasted at how Tennessee can't seem to get out of their own way, but that's the echo of memories past. On this Saturday, I like how Tennessee matches up. I didn't like it two months ago, but I'm really digging it 'round mid-November. I think Tennessee is able to create enough stops in the Mizzou passing game and the Tennessee WR's are too much to handle downfield. The Mizzou DL can't get to JG enough to cause problems and the running game does enough. The runningbacks are involved in the passing game and Helton continues to sharpen his craft. Folks are surprised, but Tennessee fans walk away happy, bowl eligibility secured.

TN 34
Mizzou 24
Tn 23 Mizzou 21

Reactions: SweetasSoda
defense gets a different type of test this week. two dimensions to stop.

what do you take away first? gotta be the run, then go after drew lock. he's not been great against effective defenses, and he is not great under pressure. our new found pass rush has arrived in perfect timing, and i think we'll need a similar performance Saturday.

defenisvely, the formula remains basically the same....we need to be good on 1st down and put them in obvious situations. 2nd and short for their offense is a recipie for disaster. if they have the ability to run or pass at their discretion that's going to be tough for us i think.

my fear is that while we're coming off a great game last week, when was hte last time we put two games back to back like that together? consistency hasn't been our ball of wax lately.

offensively, it's as good a match up as we've had against an opponents defense. they're pretty average across the board. so, again, if we can replicate the type of performance we have had lately against USCe and KY, i could see is having another successful day on the offensive side of the ball.

last thing, and i hate to even say this, but for the first time in a long time, we're pretty healthy this deep in to a season, that bodes well i think for us as well.

it's Senior night, it's national tv, and we have a huge opportunity to continue to validate ourselves as we approach the close of 2018.

so, as stated, i think this is a more difficult match up for our defense, but a little more favorable match up for our offense. i can see this being a bit of a shoot out.....

the hidden stat of this game, and it may not come to bear, but....MO has attempted 26 FG's this year and only made 18.
we've attempted 12 and made 9. don't be surprised if Cimaglia plays an important role SAturday....

TN 37
MO 32

It’s huge to me that the TE is out. We haven’t really been tested by a good one and I am not sure what to have expected.

Win TO battle here and control clock and we have a great shot.

I have no idea how to pick this score

Reactions: ThisIsTheYearVol
It’s huge to me that the TE is out. We haven’t really been tested by a good one and I am not sure what to have expected.

Win TO battle here and control clock and we have a great shot.

I have no idea how to pick this score
yeah, i'm going out on a limb picking a bit of a shootout, but their defense and their offense, kinda say that may be the most likely scenario that plays out. probably much to pruitt's chagrin....

agree about the TO margin. need to keep up the steadiness from JG and our RB's need to have a game where they don't put balls on the ground.

honestly, i like the match up between our offense vs their defense. and if our defense can continue what they started last week, i think we do have a legit shot at winning. but this offense is different than the last one...way more balanced. but they can be had.......kind of a poor man's WVU in some respects. i'm anxious to see how we do.

Reactions: engineerVOL
When JG has time to throw, few teams can match up with our wide receivers, and considering the Mo. pass defense, this should be a very good game for them. The Oline needs to continue to perform well and the D just needs to slow Lock and the Mo. offense down some, and we can win it. GBO.

Missouri has been good against the run most of the year. Last week, Vanderbilt rushed for 216 yards with 65 coming on one run. Prior to that run, the longest run surrendered by the Tigers was 23 yards against Wyoming. Four times this season, Missouri’s defense has held an offense under 100 yards rushing.

Missouri’s struggle has been in the secondary, which is why Tennessee has worked plenty this week in the vertical passing game. Jordan Murphy, who had two big plays last week, continues to get increasing reps on the practice field. Murphy is a guy who made some noise in August, but was beat up and injured in the middle of the season. With his speed, Murphy gives Helton a different weapon to play with down the stretch.

Defensively, the Vol secondary is at full strength for the first time since the Georgia game. Micah Abernathy’s return to the field was a big deal for the defenses success against Kentucky. Getting Trevon Flowers back and Bryce Thompson being healthy gives Pruitt full flexibility in the secondary, which will be challenged this week by the Missouri passing attack.

The key for the Vols is the defensive front. It’s a unit the last two weeks that has been extremely productive. In the last eight quarters, Kyle Phillips, Shy Tuttle, Alexis Johnson, and Emmit Gooden have combined for 31 tackles.

A big challenge for the Vol defense will be at the linebacker position, where Missouri stretches opponents sideline to sideline. For the last two years, the Vol defensive front has been manhandled by the Tigers, giving up over 400 yards a game on the ground. This Missouri team has rushed for over 200 yards six times this season, including the last two weeks.
- VQ

Reactions: AaronUT

I hope being up until 3 am the night before a game isn’t going to affect his performance. We’re gonna need him.

Reactions: SmokeyDaBear

VN Store

Back