Recruiting forum off topic thread (no politics, covid, or hot button issues)

Buddy, I’m sure the engineering school changed in the 60 years you’ve been gone. Not sure you can vouch for something if your time away is 3x the age of the current attendees
Well buddy ...It has changed and for the better so I can vouch for it ....

I don’t claim to be the best in my industry or the best in my graduating class, but I also understand that pounding my chest doesn’t change the fact that UT wasn’t an elite academic institution. It’s a solid university in the south where you can be successful, but 75% of the job market is about who you know. Obviously Seldon would have some amazing contacts so this doesn’t apply to him. And don’t get me wrong, I loved going to UT. I’d choose it again.
So which Baby Boomer touched you where?

Reactions: InVOLuntary
Also, I was absolutely looking to rile up some old people on a Friday night forum post. Can’t wait to do it again. I’ll try to offset it with recruiting nuggets when I get them.
So you admit to trolling? I’m sure that’s allowed on here. 😏

So you admit to trolling? I’m sure that’s allowed on here. 😏
That’s a stretch. I wouldn’t consider trolling the same as riling someone up. I had a legitimate opinion about the engineering school and someone who attended 60 years ago had a differing opinion. I was just called an ******* because I said not to coddle the boomers any more

That’s a stretch. I wouldn’t consider trolling the same as riling someone up. I had a legitimate opinion about the engineering school and someone who attended 60 years ago had a differing opinion. I was just called an ******* because I said not to coddle the boomers any more
You blatantly stated that you posted it to antagonize (“get a rise”) older posters. Don’t walk it back now…Tulip. 😎 And we were blessed with your millennial musings in RESPONSE to a recollection from our greatest generation. So quit with the persecuted prose.

Last edited:
It’s not that serious, take your meds

Don't take or need meds.

You made multiple references to age. Clearly it is an issue to you.

For the record, I also thought older people were kinda dumb. Then I built a business (engineering BTW), raised kids, helped raise grandkids, served in the military, served in my church, etc, over 40 years. Now I know how little I knew when I was young, but I also gained enough wisdom to not make an issue of it, and instead try to mentor and lead rather than mock.

You blatantly stated that you posted it to antagonize (“get a rise”) older posters. Don’t walk it back now…Tulip. 😎 And we were blessed with your millennial musings in RESPONSE to a recollection from our greatest generation. So quit with the persecuted prose.
i wasn’t walking back what I said, I was stating that you’re stretching the truth. I corrected the revisionist history of an 80 yr old which riled up the old folks on the board. It went hand in hand but I stated it because it’s true, not because he’s old. Also, I don’t understand the Tulip insult. Nonetheless, I’ve hardly been persecuted or even feigned persecution. It’s a football forum, it isn’t that serious

Don't take or need meds.

For the record, I also thought older people were kinda dumb. Then I built a business (engineering BTW), raised kids, helped raise grandkids, served in the military, served in my church, etc, over 40 years. Now I know how little I knew when I was young, but I also gained enough wisdom to not make an issue of it, and instead try to mentor and lead rather than mock.
Can agree with this. I own an engineering business and I look back at how I was as a young engineer and think. Damn I would have fired me Long ago.

i wasn’t walking back what I said, I was stating that you’re stretching the truth. I corrected the revisionist history of an 80 yr old which riled up the old folks on the board. It went hand in hand but I stated it because it’s true, not because he’s old. Also, I don’t understand the Tulip insult. Nonetheless, I’ve hardly been persecuted or even feigned persecution. It’s a football forum, it isn’t that serious
How’s it “revisionist” when it’s OPINION. His take vs yours? Tulips don’t generally understand their tulipness…they just be. It’s manufactured drama typical of your era.

Don't take or need meds.

I don’t really know how to make it any clearer, it’s not that serious. I don’t think old people are dumb. I think many have revisionist opinions but they aren’t dumb. I’ve worked with smart old people and I’ve worked with dumb old people. I worked with old people who were fired and young people who were fired. None of that has anything to do with someone having a revisionist opinion on the status of an engineering school. I just don’t see how this became a “I hate old people” thing

How’s it “revisionist” when it’s OPINION. His take vs yours? Tulips don’t generally understand their tulipness…they just be. It’s manufactured drama typical of your era.
It’s revisionist opinion because he has made up an opinion based on what he remembers and it’s just not accurate anymore. In football terms, it’s the equivalent of us still calling ourselves WRU. We haven’t been WRU since the 90s. He’s 100% entitled to his opinion, and I can 100% it’s wrong. It doesn’t mean I’m right, just that I think he’s wrong

It’s revisionist opinion because he has made up an opinion based on what he remembers and it’s just not accurate anymore. In football terms, it’s the equivalent of us still calling ourselves WRU. We haven’t been WRU since the 90s. He’s 100% entitled to his opinion, and I can 100% it’s wrong. It doesn’t mean I’m right, just that I think he’s wrong
None of those titles are based on facts, so I don’t see how he “made up” his experience at the school. All of which HAPPENED almost a decade before my birth…much less yours. That you felt the need to call him out (repeatedly) is very odd. You didn’t quantify yours as “opinion”.

None of those titles are based on facts, so I don’t see how he “made up” his experience at the school. All of which HAPPENED almost a decade before my birth…much less yours. That you felt the need to call him out (repeatedly) is very odd. You didn’t quantify yours as “opinion”.
Okay fair enough, we could have potentially been a “great” engineering school in the 50s/60s, but that is a stretch now. I replied to him once, maybe twice. I don’t even remember who it was because I was getting posts from a handful of people. As far as it being my opinion, no I did not label it as an opinion but that’s because the metrics say it’s a fact. There were questions about the MABE program even maintaining its accreditation when I was there.

He is saying you are a precious flower...Tulip.

Okay fair enough, we could have potentially been a “great” engineering school in the 50s/60s, but that is a stretch now. I replied to him once, maybe twice. I don’t even remember who it was because I was getting posts from a handful of people. As far as it being my opinion, no I did not label it as an opinion but that’s because the metrics say it’s a fact. There were questions about the MABE program even maintaining its accreditation when I was there.
Cool...hook em. Found a stopping point.

Don't take or need meds.

The problem with being young is the inherent, inescapable Dunning-Kruger effect.

Reactions: SSVol and Glitch
"I have a degree in Gender Studies, so let me tell you all about how the world should be."

- Younglings
I think it’s definitely a good thing that younger generations have these different ideas which move society along. Not necessarily the gender studies crap and all the woke initiative. That said there’s a difference between big ideas and reality and it seems we get more and more disconnected from reality with time. This youngest generation more that others haven’t had to feel the sting of failure or the crushing aspect of real life.

Don't take or need meds.

It's amazing that the older one gets, the smarter their parents get. 🤔

I think it’s definitely a good thing that younger generations have these different ideas which move society along. Not necessarily the gender studies crap and all the woke initiative. That said there’s a difference between big ideas and reality and it seems we get more and more disconnected from reality with time. This youngest generation more that others haven’t had to feel the sting of failure or the crushing aspect of real life.

I am all for new ideas, ways to do things, or technologies. My least favorite phase is, "That's how we always done it". That being said, young folks need to experience a little more life before telling me how things need to be.

VN Store

Back