Recruiting forum off topic thread (no politics, covid, or hot button issues)

Providence Academy, easily the best private school in JC, isn't remotely left of anything.
Easily? Based on what? Who? Maybe you're right. Maybe its the only private HS in JC. Wasnt my experience at all in Pvte School.

Easily? Based on what? Who? Maybe you're right. Maybe its the only private HS in JC. Wasnt my experience at all in Pvte School.
Well public school is also very right leaning, at least in TN. Just thinking back to growing up we learned Columbus was a saint, manifest destiny was good, read 1984, Ayn Rand, everything about unfettered market capitalism and nothing about the triple bottom line or other ideas, read other right leaning novels, never even heard of Howard Zinn's "A People's History of the United States" until college, all the founders were traditional Christians and not that some were rational theists or deists (didn't even teach us deism), etc. At best we read a few paragraphs about Upton Siclair's work. We didn't read it though. That's about as far left as I remember anything being taught. Fwiw this was Knox County.

Fwiw not saying the above books weren't really good and shouldn't be taught, but there was zero balance. A lot of one side. Which is why I also think a lot of people think college can be left-leaning, because at that point a bit of left-leaning material can be shocking to most of us that learned one viewpoint growing up. I remember realizing how closeted I was just one semester into college and that was ETSU, not exactly a bastion of liberal thought lol.

Reactions: bparker
Well public school is also very right leaning, at least in TN. Just thinking back to growing up we learned Columbus was a saint, manifest destiny was good, read 1984, Ayn Rand, everything about unfettered market capitalism and nothing about the triple bottom line or other ideas, read other right leaning novels, never even heard of Howard Zinn's "A People's History of the United States" until college, all the founders were traditional Christians and not that some were rational theists or deists (didn't even teach us deism), etc. At best we read a few paragraphs about Upton Siclair's work. We didn't read it though. That's about as far left as I remember anything being taught. Fwiw this was Knox County.

Fwiw not saying the above books weren't really good and shouldn't be taught, but there was zero balance. A lot of one side. Which is why I also think a lot of people think college can be left-leaning, because at that point a bit of left-leaning material can be shocking to most of us that learned one viewpoint growing up. I remember realizing how closeted I was just one semester into college and that was ETSU, not exactly a bastion of liberal thought lol.
If a teacher had given me a copy of Ayn Rand after my pvte schooling, id have thrown it out the winder.

People think colleges are left leaning because they are and studies show it. Depending on where you are is the only major variant. The northeast and far west are estimated to be around a 32:1 ratio whereas the South and Midwest are less at about 8:1. Even right leaning institutions like Harvard and UVA have done independent studies that show this, but obviously they attest it’s because of intellectuals adherence to truth to explain it away. Any honest look at the college scene today leaves no doubt where beliefs lay.

My kids attended Tri Cities Christian Schools and Providence Academy. I'm pretty sure those are the two largest private schools in Washington and Sullivan county. Both are strongly Christian and conservative. About 80% of the private schools in Washington and Sullivan counties are religiously affiliated, many with very strong statements of Christian emphasis and Biblical inerrancy. I'm sure there are some smaller schools that skew left (Ashley Academy perhaps?) but they are in the minority.

As for best...I base that on academic performance. Providence students perform very well, but they earn it, it's a hard school. Most PA graduates find college quite easy after what is expected from them in high school. In objective metrics like ACT, they score highest in the TriCities and are in the top 20 private schools statewide...generally averaging in the 28-30 range.

Obviously what we have here in the TriCities may be different from private schools in general, but you live in JC (right?), and in this area the majority of private schools are conservative and Christian.

My kids attended Tri Cities Christian Schools and Providence Academy. I'm pretty sure those are the two largest private schools in Washington and Sullivan county. Both are strongly Christian and conservative. About 80% of the private schools in Washington and Sullivan counties are religiously affiliated, many with very strong statements of Christian emphasis and Biblical inerrancy. I'm sure there are some smaller schools that skew left (Ashley Academy perhaps?) but they are in the minority.

As for best...I base that on academic performance. Providence students perform very well, but they earn it, it's a hard school. Most PA graduates find college quite easy after what is expected from them in high school. In objective metrics like ACT, they score highest in the TriCities and are in the top 20 private schools statewide...generally averaging in the 28-30 range.

Obviously what we have here in the TriCities may be different from private schools in general, but you live in JC (right?), and in this area the majority of private schools are conservative and Christian.
I'm aware, step family sent kids to Providence.

It wasnt around when I was in school, only comparison I have is to my own experiences. Most of private schools I visited were geared toward exam curriculum, so, not surprising.

If a teacher had given me a copy of Ayn Rand after my pvte schooling, id have thrown it out the winder.
Years later, mid 20s, I read her book Anthem. It was very good. Mostly about conspiratorial authoritarianism moreso than economics. Think it was the kind of anti-ideology narrative most folks could get behind.

I'm aware, step family sent kids to Providence.

It wasnt around when I was in school, only comparison I have is to my own experiences. Most of private schools I visited were geared toward exam curriculum, so, not surprising.

I wouldn't say PA is geared toward exam curriculum. They place a massive emphasis on Latin, vocabulary, grammar, rhetoric, writing...none of which is exactly ACT-centric. It just happens that you tend to get from kids what you expect from kids. Expect a lot. Get a lot.

Not sure it's fair to compare ACT averages with public schools since every student has to take them now per Tennessee law regardless of their future plan to attend college or drive a truck.

I wouldn't say PA is geared toward exam curriculum. They place a massive emphasis on Latin, vocabulary, grammar, rhetoric, writing...none of which is exactly ACT-centric. It just happens that you tend to get from kids what you expect from kids. Expect a lot. Get a lot.

We began sending our kids to a Providence Classical school in SC this past year. We are impressed by not only the Latin and emphasis on history but the focus on debate. They emphasize understanding both sides of a position to make your point. The work is tough but they found a rhythm after 8 weeks. They love it now.

Reactions: SmokinBob and SSVol

Your opening sentence is not sure in my opinion. Maybe you meant when you were growing up, but based on conversations with my HS teaching son-in-law, and on paperwork and conversations with my elementary school grandson, I'm stunned at how liberal the schoolteachers are in Knox County.

Reactions: InVOLuntary
Not sure it's fair to compare ACT averages with public schools since every student has to take them now per Tennessee law regardless of their future plan to attend college or drive a truck.

I was comparing ACT scores to other private schools, but I don't really understand that argument. Every kid at PA had to take them also, without regard to whether they were going on to be doctors, lawyers, or in my kids cases, two stay-at-home moms and a coffee shop barista.

I graduated from Science Hill. I know what was expected of me and I know what was expected of my kids. Perhaps more importantly, I know what was expected of my parents vs what was expected of my wife and me as parents of PA students. It wasn't close for either students or parents.

I was comparing ACT scores to other private schools, but I don't really understand that argument. Every kid at PA had to take them also, without regard to whether they were going on to be doctors, lawyers, or in my kids cases, two stay-at-home moms and a coffee shop barista.

I graduated from Science Hill. I know what was expected of me and I know what was expected of my kids. Perhaps more importantly, I know what was expected of my parents vs what was expected of my wife and me as parents of PA students. It wasn't close for either students or parents.
You don't understand the argument that comparing average ACT scores with public schools and private schools is apples to oranges?

It's all about expectations from home in my opinion and regardless of your career goals, a student who's parents are paying for their child to attend school are definitely more invested.

Education is all about what you put into it. How long ago did you attend Science Hill. It has some pretty strenuous AP programs if a student needs that extra push.

Reactions: DarthVol1

VN Store

Back