Recruiting forum off topic thread (no politics, covid, or hot button issues)

All you need to do is watch the miracle of childbirth, followed by the mother nursing her child, and consider how many different things that had to go perfectly right or procreation fails…it’s a stunningly large number…and it takes 10x the faith to believe in evolution over design. As an engineer who creates products, I know how hard it is to create complex systems that work correctly in the most controlled environments, much less self reproduce and adapt to their environment, and I simply do not have the faith to believe it made itself randomly.
But if ones argument is that life is infinitely so complicated that it requires a designer, wouldn't something, a higher power, capable of creating all this life be so complicated it would also need a designer?

And then that designer would need a designer and so forth and so forth?

I hear you. I'm not here to change anyone's minds. I just enjoy cordial conversations with intelligent people.

Why do you think Australia has such weird odd ball organisms if not because they were isolated over time?
Gotta be honest never put much thought into it so I couldn't give you a good answer right now

Reactions: scienceteaching_vol
But if ones argument is that life is infinitely so complicated that it requires a designer, wouldn't something, a higher power, capable of creating all this life be so complicated it would also need a designer?

And then that designer would need a designer and so forth and so forth?

I don’t have to explain it, that’s the faith part. I’m just saying I find it easier to believe in a Creator than the alternative.

I make things. It’s hard. In my experience, errors rarely produce benefit. In some cases they are benign, but in most cases they are destructive. DNA errors generally reduce fitness, which fits with my personal design experience. Over long stretches of time, those errors don’t build better stuff, they tear stuff down, sometimes violently. Even assuming a very long age, the odds of dirt assembling itself into an accountant are just too long for me to believe, particularly when you consider that virtually all mutations are observably destructive. Creator is the only answer I can arrive at.

I don’t have to explain it, that’s the faith part. I’m just saying I find it easier to believe in a Creator than the alternative.

I make things. It’s hard. In my experience, errors rarely produce benefit. In some cases they are benign, but in most cases they are destructive. DNA errors generally reduce fitness, which fits with my personal design experience. Over long stretches of time, those errors don’t build better stuff, they tear stuff down, sometimes violently. Even assuming a very long age, the odds of dirt assembling itself into an accountant are just too long for me to believe, particularly when you consider that virtually all mutations are observably destructive. Creator is the only answer I can arrive at.
I understand. As an engineer you might find this book interesting. Hope everyone has a good night. My kids will be waking me up way too early in the morning I'm afraid. Ha.

20220115_002517.jpg

Probably would have went to UGA anyway. Guys like this don’t usually go to programs who have struggled with teams like Vandy and South Carolina.
Yeah troll, we sure struggled with Vandy and SC this season, didn't we? Interesting, we have a 3 year win streak against both. If you're going to troll, at least try and be good at it. You're terrible.

"In the beginning..."

That's why I said that is provable.

The entirety of religious belief requires faith, because so much cannot be proven. That's the reason that faith in God is so critical.

I just enjoy talking about stuff, to be honest, not in any sort of antagonistic manner. The poster I was responding to was just being extremely definitive in his words, which is interesting.

Folks here just thought they hated Kirby Smart before being gifted a Natty by a wounded Alabama team.

giphy.gif

Just putting this out.... if anyone is interested in or knows someone that is interested in light manufacturing jobs. The company I work for is actively hiring. Starting at just under $19/hr. Climate controlled facility. It is union but no requirement to join. Good benefits. We need people.

Just putting this out.... if anyone is interested in or knows someone that is interested in light manufacturing jobs. The company I work for is actively hiring. Starting at just under $19/hr. Climate controlled facility. It is union but no requirement to join. Good benefits. We need people.
Screw you and your company. I need people!

Reactions: Glitch and VOLSONLY

One can believe in a creator...as well as an old earth, which is based in an abundance of evidence and science. I mean, much of the area of geology is about such. But I digress.

Just saying, the two are far from exclusive...being a theist and listening to hundreds of years of science. It could even add to one's belief of a supreme being, if one were to take it that way.

As far as DNA and evolution - the answer is in large numbers. All of the "destructive" mutations quickly lead to a less-likely-to-live and breed scenario. But the one in those hundred that improves livability...tends to get passed on. Large numbers.

Reactions: OptimusPrimerib
One can believe in a creator...as well as an old earth, which is based in an abundance of evidence and science. I mean, much of the area of geology is about such. But I digress.

Just saying, the two are far from exclusive...being a theist and listening to hundreds of years of science. It could even add to one's belief of a supreme being, if one were to take it that way.

People will make whatever arguments they must to support their belief, whether that is old earth evolutionist, old earth theistic evolutionist, young earth creationist, old earth creationists, etc. I don't really care. If "Let there be light" really means what it says, light (and by extension, time) is created construct, then our perception of time is secondary to the Creator.

When I was younger, I was much quicker to explore the space of "what if" and would've argued for old earth creationism, because I really needed to marry "science" and faith. I say "science" in quotes, because as I've gotten older I've seen more and more of how everything...and I mean everything...is subject to one's worldview, even "evidence-based science". Because of that, my level of distrust in so-called "settled science" has increased dramatically, and I choose to embrace a Biblical view of everything. I don't necessarily believe that our interpretation necessarily fits the reality. I believe in a Creator, but I seriously doubt He is old white dude sitting on a throne. So what is He then? Doesn't matter. My understanding doesn't change the reality. But I don't need to reconcile science with faith, even when they appear to disagree. Science has changed it's mind so many times over the years, I'm content to wait.

After seeing the effectively infinite information embedded in certain simple equations, I've had this crazy thought that "I am" is actually a fractal equation that contains the entirety of all creative intelligence. It could happen.

Yeah troll, we sure struggled with Vandy and SC this season, didn't we? Interesting, we have a 3 year win streak against both. If you're going to troll, at least try and be good at it. You're terrible.
And what were the scores of those games in our coaches first year here? That dude has problems

Reactions: Bassmaster_Vol
Conjecture= A healthy Bama wins easily.

Facts= Bama got beaten handily.

Facts>conjecture.
How is it conjecture when the SEC championship game proves their point? Both of those wide receivers were huge losses after scorching the GA secondary in the first game. Injuries are part of the game but it’s not conjecture to point out two first round nfl receivers being out didn’t hamstring the
Bama offense

How is it conjecture when the SEC championship game proves their point? Both of those wide receivers were huge losses after scorching the GA secondary in the first game. Injuries are part of the game but it’s not conjecture to point out two first round nfl receivers being out didn’t hamstring the
Bama offense

Because the transitive property doesn’t work. That’s why it’s conjecture. You can say Bama would have won if they were healthy. But there is no proof.

VN Store

Back