Recruiting forum off topic thread (no politics, covid, or hot button issues)

So zero chance I'm reading the WOT books. I've seen a few negative reviews for the Amazon show. If I don't know the story, is it a watch for me? Or should I not watch because it's trash overall. Please save my time.
I heard that the show is so PC now that if you read the books it turns you into a lesbian

Definitely some changes, but overall story and characters' personalities seem pretty well matched to me. My threshold of 75% match and no major plot changes is being met so far.
They have absolutely butchered Mat and Perrin, and they have destroyed the Bore/Breaking origin completely..you are nuts if you think this remotely resembles The Wheel of Time.

Respectfully..I absolutely loathe it.

So zero chance I'm reading the WOT books. I've seen a few negative reviews for the Amazon show. If I don't know the story, is it a watch for me? Or should I not watch because it's trash overall. Please save my time.
That all depends...if I had never read the books I probably wouldn't hate the show so much. So if you like shows like The Witcher you may actually enjoy it...if you don't like The Witcher, then you would probably hate it.

Either way, if you try it you have to give it a few shows to start to understand the world it is set in.

Reactions: Wadetime
They will jump out real quick.
Just got an episode and a half in. Fell asleep. I felt the beginning of the story was too jumpy and if they stuck with the books, maybe it takes an additional episode but it would have flowed better. I also thought the point of the dragon was that it was a man because how extreme men handle the power... Why is Ewgene included in that?

I feel like Mat, Perrin, and Rand are scripted as being more mature than I've envisioned so far.

Just got an episode and a half in. Fell asleep. I felt the beginning of the story was too jumpy and if they stuck with the books, maybe it takes an additional episode but it would have flowed better. I also thought the point of the dragon was that it was a man because how extreme men handle the power... Why is Ewgene included in that?

I feel like Mat, Perrin, and Rand are scripted as being more mature than I've envisioned so far.

The show is not good so far.

1. Rand and Egwene have sex? Really? All three of the guys start out the story as nervous teenage boys that have trouble even talking to girls and Egwene would never!
2. Matt's family is degenerate? Matt's family is well respected in the book and Matt is just a mischievous young man but a good kid. His dad runs around and his mom is an abusive drunk? Just No.
3. Perrin has a wife? What the absolute crap!!! No again.
4. Tom Merllin is not with them from the beginning? He is kind of a big part of the story?
5. Rand's dad.... a blademaster can't handle one measly trolloc? No feverish ramblings that Rand overhears and causes him to wonder about his parentage for the next several books?
6. What was up with Lan and Moraine hot tubbing together? What was that mess?

So, many things wrong. The show is completely absent any of the crucial character or plot developments that make the story so great. It is just a dumbed down version of the story that ultimately won't make any sense and they will have to use gore and nudity to maintain a following.

On the plus side, I may have convinced one of my daughters to read the books now by ranting about how they are butchering the story.

1. Rand and Egwene have sex? Really? All three of the guys start out the story as nervous teenage boys that have trouble even talking to girls and Egwene would never!
2. Matt's family is degenerate? Matt's family is well respected in the book and Matt is just a mischievous young man but a good kid. His dad runs around and his mom is an abusive drunk? Just No.
4. Tom Merllin is not with them from the beginning? He is kind of a big part of the story?
5. Rand's dad.... a blademaster can't handle one measly trolloc? No feverish ramblings that Rand overhears and causes him to wonder about his parentage for the next several books?

So, many things wrong. The show is completely absent any of the crucial character or plot developments that make the story so great. It is just a dumbed down version of the story that ultimately won't make any sense and they will have to use gore and nudity to maintain a following.

On the plus side, I may have convinced one of my daughters to read the books now by ranting about how they are butchering the story.
Yeah I didn't like removing the gleeman and agree with all your points. I think it would have been better to stick with the book format because it would have flowed alot better. I don't think it extends past two seasons. Jmo.

Train Station
Do you know what we were talking about? I had a theory about who was behind the hit, and it looks like I am right. The question is what does..
Jamie do now that he knows his genetic pos father is the one behind trying to kill his adopted family? How he handles this is going to be a major conflict.

He ain't gonna take Randall to the train station himself IMO, so is he going to try to hide the info and keep the Duttons from finding out, or what? If he covers up for Randall and the family finds out some other way that Randall is the one that arranged the hit, they will naturally assume he either endorsed or was directly responsible..

Beth already wants him dead, he doesn't want John and Casey after him too...

He is in a real pickle and I can't wait to see how this transpires

Thank you..they have destroyed Mat and Perrin in this butchered mess.

Yeah I didn't like removing the gleeman and agree with all your points. I think it would have been better to stick with the book format because it would have flowed alot better. I don't think it extends past two seasons. Jmo.

I have waited and waited for a WOT series to come out and these boneheads screw the whole thing up in the first flipping episode. All they had to do was follow the books.

schitts-creek-alexis-rose.gif

I watched last night and was pretty disappointed

I think this is the reason so many people are trying to talk well of it. (Other than being paid) They're terrified that it won't last past season 2 because of the butchering

Reactions: Ulysees E. McGill

Haven't watched or read but my comment is broader than 1 show.
I just don't understand the "why".

I'm not talking about making it more PC or whatever!
I mean why use the same characters if you're going to majorly change them. This is the age of giving a new title and adding " A wheel of time story" - ish being totally accepted.

You can create any character you want and yet, the dedicated book fans aren't upset about you butchering their favorites.
Like the Highlander TV version of the movie created Duncan (I think) as a cousin or such, fans had no problem.

Claiming a straight adaptation but veering way off just seems stupid and *completely unnecessary*, in this age, when a better path has already been laid.

Reactions: Rishvol
Anyone who read the books and watch the GOT show, did they butcher the story line of that too? Just curious if it is just Amazon taking a crap on an incredible story or if this is just standard practice.

@Ulysees E. McGill. I see you guys talking about books a lot. Any of you like Asimov stuff?

I was driving to Oak Ridge a few years ago and stopped at a yard sale on a backroad. Old lady had a box with 80-100 Asimov books, kinda like the reader's digest size, called Asimov's Science Fiction Magazine. I bought them for $5. Was just wondering if you all know anything about them, if they're worth anything or worth collecting, etc.

Anyone who read the books and watch the GOT show, did they butcher the story line of that too? Just curious if it is just Amazon taking a crap on an incredible story or if this is just standard practice.
GOT was a lot more similar, but GRRM has a history as a screen writer and his early books set up better to be able to have a more “faithful” adaptation. As the scope widened in in his most recent books the changes definitely started to get bigger. They did the same “age up” thing WoT did.

I saw that the show runners had wanted and planned for 10 show seasons and a 2hr pilot and that definitely would’ve fixed some of the pacing issues from the first episode because that was definitely the worst so far and I think it’s improved each episode

Reactions: Bret178
HBO will always do better than Amazon.

Exactly. Books start with a badass ancient history scene that sets the tone of what the main storyline will be.

Then you get a couple chapters of building Emonds Field and the personality of the 3 main characters. They are 18 and Egwene is 16 and they are simple naive country kids. Then their world goes crazy and the story takes off.

The TV show should have stuck to that script instead of changing the characters. You can't make these books into shows without investing time into building the environment and making the audience connect with the characters they are supposed to watch the next 8 years. GoT did that well, Wheel of Time hasn't and ruined the characters. Almost none are likeable except maybe Rand so far and just barely.

VN Store

Back