Recruiting forum off topic thread (no politics, covid, or hot button issues)

Just makes no sense that you'd have live bullets anywhere on the set, especially if this has happened before like you said.
It's not live bullets. In Brandon Lee's case, I believe it was a piece of the blank that broke off and was projected from the gun. We'll have to wait for an accident report to see what the cause was in this Alec Baldwin case, but it won't be an actual bullet is my guess.

It's not live bullets. In Brandon Lee's case, I believe it was a piece of the blank that broke off and was projected from the gun. We'll have to wait for an accident report to see what the cause was in this Alec Baldwin case, but it won't be an actual bullet is my guess.
I remember back in ‘84, the actor Jon-Erik Hexum was screwing around on set with a .44 and pointed it at his temple and pulled the trigger, not knowing that the wadding in the blank would be a projectile. The impact fractured his skull and the brain hemorrhage caused by the skull fragments ended up killing him.

That incident, as well as the Brandon Lee one, are part of why prop guns are so tightly controlled on movie and TV sets now, which makes it really befuddling how this could have happened.

There are prop guns now that electronically produce smoke, flash and sound but are not capable of producing projectiles. They’re not actual guns. I have no idea why these are not the standard prop instead of real guns firing blanks.

I remember back in ‘84, the actor Jon-Erik Hexum was screwing around on set with a .44 and pointed it at his temple and pulled the trigger, not knowing that the wadding in the blank would be a projectile. The impact fractured his skull and the brain hemorrhage caused by the skull fragments ended up killing him.

That incident, as well as the Brandon Lee one, are part of why prop guns are so tightly controlled on movie and TV sets now, which makes it really befuddling how this could have happened.

There are prop guns now that electronically produce smoke, flash and sound but are not capable of producing projectiles. They’re not actual guns. I have no idea why these are not the standard prop instead of real guns firing blanks.
Hell, if they really wanted to be super safe, just CGI the guns in.

Before it was something with a gun barrel being blocked when the blank went off

It could be something similar.
Some productions still use packed blanks but I don't think live rounds are allowed on sets these days(?)
And given it was the director of photography and the film director involved, sounds like a scene with the shots being fired directly at the camera for visual.

But that's a lot of speculation on my part based on very little info. Only going on who was in the projectile's path.

Reactions: Bruce Wayne

Woah that's awful. Ugh. How does a prop gun with blanks even do that? Seems blanks shouldn't be deadly even if incidentally disharged from the chamber.

Edit: I see someone mentioned Brandon Lee. I remembered this not being the first time. Such strange incidents.

God I can't imagine being in his shoes today and just awful for the lady fatally shot. Total freak accident at work. Life is too short

Woah that's awful. Ugh. How does a prop gun with blanks even do that?

Shockingly, it happens. Brandon Lee was killed on the set of “The Crow” in the same way. I’ve been on sets with prop guns and they are treated like nuclear-grade plutonium, so I have no idea how this happens in this day and age. I get people want realism, but when aiming at people, there’s just no upside to blanks.

Edit: this is how it happened with Brandon Lee, and I assume something like this is what happened here: “Hollowed-out cartridges are often used to film close-ups of a gun being loaded; the “dummy” cartridges are then supposed to be removed and replaced with blanks before being fired. The police investigation into Lee’s death concluded that a tip of one of the cartridge’s bullets broke off from the cartridge and lodged in the gun, then fired at Lee along with the blank.”

Reactions: jave36
He shot 2 people? Who points a gun at someone and pulls the trigger even if it has blanks? Even when I'm 100% sure there isn't a bullet in the chamber, I still act like it has one.
how I was taught. not sure the situation but, what's interesting is people shot werent even acting in movie.

Reactions: swampfoxfan
He shot 2 people? Who points a gun at someone and pulls the trigger even if it has blanks? Even when I'm 100% sure there isn't a bullet in the chamber, I still act like it has one.
Now I’m no movie director nor a prop man, but I imagine it had something to do with filming of the movie. I agree tho you shouldn’t point a gun at anything you don’t want to shoot

Well it’s a prop gun, and the script calls for you to point it at someone, and even fire. But I get your point, I’m a gun enthusiast and you never point a real gun at someone unless you mean to use it. If someone hands me a firearm I still go through the motions of clearing it even if I know it’s empty. Can’t be too safe.

What I don’t understand is how two people who weren’t actors got shot, I mean wth was going on?

Well it’s a prop gun, and the script calls for you to point it at someone, and even fire. But I get your point, I’m a gun enthusiast and you never point a real gun at someone unless you mean to use it. If someone hands me a firearm I still go through the motions of clearing it even if I know it’s empty. Can’t be too safe.

What I don’t understand is how two people who weren’t actors got shot, I mean wth was going on?
Maybe it was a shotgun?

Makes sense, shooting the cinematographer and director. Part of the movie.
Like I said I’ve never been on a movie set but if they were in the line of fire when he was say doing a close up firing at a target off camera?
I wasn’t trying to call your post into question just that if everyone’s just standing around and he’s shooting a part I don’t figure basic gun safety is part of his mindset.

VN Store

Back