Recruiting forum off topic thread (no politics, covid, or hot button issues)

You're a month early for that

giphy.gif

Reactions: preacherwebb
Carbon dioxide is not a pollutant, soooooo nothing.
Last I checked it is classified as a pollutant by the EPA. Regardless of it's labeled a pollutant or not, it contributes to the greenhouse effect and ocean acidification when it precipitates. The increased concentration in the atmosphere is worth further research, and worth discussing how/if to mitigate. If those facts mean nothing to you, that's fine. I didn't necessarily expect it to.

This is a graph that charts the fluctuations in carbon dioxide concentrations in the atmosphere going back hundreds of thousands of years (measured and cross-checked by half a dozen methods such as lake sediment cores, tree rings, ice cores, etc). As you can see, the fluctuations are cyclical. The problem is that the current levels are far above the historic peak. This exponential increase is in tandem with the start of industrialization. These are just numbers, no politics. We know this has occurred.

The true question is: what do we do about it, and what does it mean? That's where answers start to vary. What does it mean? Well, given that carbon is a greenhouse gas, they extrapolate that this increase in carbon concentration will result in an increase in global temperatures to the tune of a few degrees. Then they model what effect these degree increases will have on climates and weather patterns. Are their models right? I don't know, I personally think most of it is sensationalized and hyperbolic. What do we do about it? Do we try to decrease it with technology and decrease carbon output? Some say yes. Do we do nothing? Some would argue for that.

This is my attempt at a cliff-notes synthesis of a very complex process that can't possibly be fully explained in this format. Years ago I was in serious doubt that this was an issue at all, and that it was totally made up. Then I started learning the science behind the madness and the sheer amount of data from dozens of fields (such as wildlife biology and political science, that you'd think isn't closely related) of research showing that there's some legitimacy and facts that should be accepted.

Anyway. Not looking for an argument if anyone gets triggered or disagrees. Just laying that out there for some who are honestly questioning the topic.

View attachment 352012

The climate models are complete and total garbage, even from my perspective, and I have studied weather models and such for over 20 years now.....and they are sketchy at best, even within a few days out with much more data going into them than the climate models. They can be manipulated into saying anything a person with an agenda wants them to say. I am friends with a climate scientist who works for the CPC and holds a PHD in atmospheric physics. He actually calls the climate models "worse than horrible". I asked him why his colleagues don't say something about this as well? He stated that they are afraid to predict anything other than what the models say.

Maybe this will help some folks sleep at night....idk.

The climate models are complete and total garbage, even from my perspective, and I have studied weather models and such for over 20 years now.....and they are sketchy at best, even within a few days out with much more data going into them than the climate models. They can be manipulated into saying anything a person with an agenda wants them to say. I am friends with a climate scientist who works for the CPC and holds a PHD in atmospheric physics. He actually calls the climate models "worse than horrible". I asked him why his colleagues don't say something about this as well? He stated that they are afraid to predict anything other than what the models say.

Maybe this will help some folks sleep at night....idk.
I can sleep now tha... wait a minute. Is your friend Russian.

I do agree that UGA has underperformed considering their talent. However, Georgia (really the Atlanta area) has had an interesting dynamic. When I was in school in 98-02, Atlanta was a fast growing area. I believe Gwinnet County was the fastest growing county in the country. My brother lived NE of the city off 85. So, there were many transplants just like Nashville. You had many people move in who had allegiances to other schools. Other than being close, UGA wasn't always the desired school. Now, we are 20 years later with a new generation. These kids, who have been raised in Atlanta (even with parents going to other schools), have seen some of UGA's success, and it's much more desirable. They are around others who root for UGA as well. This is making it tougher to recruit the kids that UGA wants.

I think this is something that could eventually evolve in Nashville, too. But, UT has to do its part and at least be relevant.
I loathe and dread Nashville becoming Atlanta and it's happening quickly.

Reactions: tbwhhs and Pacer92
Traffic, houses on every hill, traffic.

I'm a rural guy, I HATE urban sprawl taking all the land.

Lol the entire state of TN is basically rural besides Nashville.

If it’s a traffic thing, well that’s due to poor planning/lack of alternative transportation options

Reactions: PA Vol
Traffic, houses on every hill, traffic.

I'm a rural guy, I HATE urban sprawl taking all the land.

My Dad was helping my brother look for houses off 85, and they went past a rest stop as they continued to look. They were building houses left and right up that way. My Dad told my brother that he couldn't buy a house where he had to drive past a rest stop to go to work or get to the city.

I can't imagine the traffic now. When I was at UT and would visit my brother from 99-02, the traffic was bad then. It would sometimes take me an hour to get from 75 over to 85E on a Friday night at 7:30.

Last edited:
Reactions: InVOLuntary

If it’s a traffic thing, well that’s due to poor planning/lack of alternative transportation options

You haven't been to the counties outside Nashville lately. Blowing up fast.

...and urban sprawl invariably brings traffic issues. Too many people having to go too many miles. I would like to see cities go up instead of out.

Atlanta is so spread out though. When I was going there, they had MARTA, which was a very good public transportation. But it still takes alot of time, depending on your destination. The more beautiful part of the metro area is up north, but the airport is south of downtown, and those are not close, especially if there is any traffic. Alpharetta to the Atlanta Airport is 34 miles, and the metro area has been expanding north of Alpharetta for years.

Reactions: MarcoVol
You haven't been to the counties outside Nashville lately. Blowing up fast.

...and urban sprawl invariably brings traffic issues. Too many people having to go too many miles. I would like to see cities go up instead of out.
Much more expensive to go up than out.

Much more expensive to go up than out.

Agree, but I think that cost also doesn't include the cost associated with loss of agricultural ground that can never be recovered. For instance, in Tennessee to have land that perks for septic, you have to have land that isn't too steep a grade, not clay, and not rock. Well, you just eliminated almost all the state except hay and farm ground. We are quickly losing the land that is most profitable.

Many don't care about those things, but its something that bothers me.

Reactions: Volunteer821
Lol. I don’t hate it. I was born and raised here. I’m in the county on my 5 acres surrounded by woods and row crop fields. No neighbors. I can go take a crap butt naked in my front yard and nobody but me and the dogs would know it.

You got a pond on your property?

VN Store

Back