Recruiting forum off topic thread (no politics, covid, or hot button issues)

True lol one of Hitler's biggest blunders was immediately declaring war on us after pearl harbor, despite not even working with the Japs.

Better example would have been WW1, although an ocean liner was sunk to justify jumping in.

Sorry, couldn't resist the laconic retort.

More to your point, haven't we been leading by example in reducing our national carbon emissions, even without joining the Kyoto Treaty or Paris Accords?

CO2 emissions United States 2019 | Statista

That's a pretty good trend line over the years, and it's even more dramatic if you look at it on a per capita basis.

U.S. fossil CO2 emissions per capita 1970-2019 | Statista

Reactions: Ulysees E. McGill
I'm going to make one post about global warming ... there sure have been a lot of people from all over the country posting updates, pics, and vids on VolNation of this winter storm, with the ice, snow, and record low temps. And there's what, three more fronts on the way behind it?

If it is a grand solar minimum of the magnitude of the Maunder Minimum we could be in for at least a couple of decades of cooler temps.
They, well actually all of us will be thankful for supposed human caused warming if/when that hits. I remember reading an article saying that a solar minimum was due, but it was a few years ago iirc, and like I said, I don't remember too many details.

Can you imagine how bad it would be for crops if there were a global event sized volcanic eruption spewing billions of tons of sulphur dioxide into the atmosphere combined with a solar minimum? It is scary to think of the consequences to food and energy consumption if that were to happen.

Reactions: rikberry31
Yes, I'm aware. Every year marine biologist & volcanologists dive to bottom of Yellowstone Lake to study the gigantic bubble at bottom. There is apparently a correlation between that bubble and next explosion.

Miss that place. Miss trying to catch my first pure cutt on fly. I recall sipping a beer at an

employee bonfire one evening, lakeside. And the largest caddis hatch ive ever seen swarmed us. It was insane.

Cant wait to take the fam.
Greater Yellowstone area is my favorite place on earth.

What about Yellowstone.
A major Yellowstone eruption would dislocate and kill hundreds of millions if not billions of people, plus plants and animals. It would not be an ELE, but the world as we know it would end.

I read somewhere the other day that a minor eruption is far more likely. Go Google Yellowstone minor eruption prediction and you could probably find the information I read.

Reactions: T Dog
I'm going to make one post about global warming ... there sure have been a lot of people from all over the country posting updates, pics, and vids on VolNation of this winter storm, with the ice, snow, and record low temps. And there's what, three more fronts on the way behind it?
Read up on the jet stream.

I'm with you on this whole travel thing.
I'm almost to where I can (kids, bills, you know, life and stuff) but don't know if I'll be able to when I ought to be able to.
I am a low middle class guy, I don't like to say I am poor because that is insulting to truly poor people, but I don't have a lot of disposable income. I have finally got to a place where I can take trips as long as I plan and budget well by sacrificing several other expenditures during the year.

If fuel prices go to European levels under the current people in power, then I am screwed. I won't be able to do it.

Any things to do or places you'd recommend to eat there?
Villa Gallace is a good Italian place, Guppy's, Lulu's ice cream, the original Crabby Bills..several other joints that all have their charms. There is one awesome Mexican restaurant there that we used to go to all the time, but I can't remember the name of it.

Smugglers cove mini golf is there if you like that kind of thing. Clearwater beach a couple of miles north on Gulf blvd has some boat tours, fishing boats and jet ski rentals, and John's Pass a few miles south has the same stuff.

There is about a billion things to do in the greater T-Bay area. Our favorite was probably Busch Gardens, it is a beautiful and fun amusement park which is also a world class zoo. We had season passes the whole time we lived there, and the Florida Aquarium in Tampa is a really good one.

Reactions: scienceteaching_vol
Villa Gallace is a good Italian place, Guppy's, Lulu's ice cream, the original Crabby Bills..several other joints that all have their charms. There is one awesome Mexican restaurant there that we used to go to all the time, but I can't remember the name of it.

Smugglers cove mini golf is there if you like that kind of thing. Clearwater beach a couple of miles north on Gulf blvd has some boat tours, fishing boats and jet ski rentals, and John's Pass a few miles south has the same stuff.

There is about a billion things to do in the greater T-Bay area. Our favorite was probably Busch Gardens, it is a beautiful and fun amusement park which is also a world class zoo. We had season passes the whole time we lived there, and the Florida Aquarium in Tampa is a really good one.
Thanks! You've given me an awesome place to start researching for the trip!

This is a graph that charts the fluctuations in carbon dioxide concentrations in the atmosphere going back hundreds of thousands of years (measured and cross-checked by half a dozen methods such as lake sediment cores, tree rings, ice cores, etc). As you can see, the fluctuations are cyclical. The problem is that the current levels are far above the historic peak. This exponential increase is in tandem with the start of industrialization. These are just numbers, no politics. We know this has occurred.

The true question is: what do we do about it, and what does it mean? That's where answers start to vary. What does it mean? Well, given that carbon is a greenhouse gas, they extrapolate that this increase in carbon concentration will result in an increase in global temperatures to the tune of a few degrees. Then they model what effect these degree increases will have on climates and weather patterns. Are their models right? I don't know, I personally think most of it is sensationalized and hyperbolic. What do we do about it? Do we try to decrease it with technology and decrease carbon output? Some say yes. Do we do nothing? Some would argue for that.

This is my attempt at a cliff-notes synthesis of a very complex process that can't possibly be fully explained in this format. Years ago I was in serious doubt that this was an issue at all, and that it was totally made up. Then I started learning the science behind the madness and the sheer amount of data from dozens of fields (such as wildlife biology and political science, that you'd think isn't closely related) of research showing that there's some legitimacy and facts that should be accepted.

Anyway. Not looking for an argument if anyone gets triggered or disagrees. Just laying that out there for some who are honestly questioning the topic.

View attachment 352012

Carbon dioxide is not a pollutant, soooooo nothing.

Reactions: rikberry31
Good Morning Volnation

cab319bfbeda41fb92cb12a8de5be0fb.gif

Edited because of a faulty gif

VN Store

Back