Recruiting Forum Football Talk [RIP 9.3.2019]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh. Crap. I'm bassmaster_vol.

Or he's Jakez4ut.

Either way. We're screwed.
giphy.gif

According to Vince Ferrara of WNML the team will have a closed scrimmage on Sunday.

I thought there was a lot more energy in Friday night’s practice than what we typically see and obviously the reports of key veterans becoming more vocal leaders is a positive sign.

I like our offensive line situation and hopefully we’ll figure out some way to hold on to what we’ve got for depth. I was disappointed to see Niehaus quit especially after Pruitt praised him in the spring. I think Pruitt was probably more disappointed in Nathan than I am. One of the things we will be dealing with maybe for some time is when we recruit over someone and they can see the writing on the wall that they’re unlikely to measure up in the competition to become a starter some of the older guys may choose to transfer. I understand that. What is disappointing is if you don’t intend to transfer then quitting is simply abandoning your teammates. I read Nathan’s note but I’ve sort of heard other things too. Anyway, he probably won’t be the last. It’s a tough situation for the coaches but I respect and trust that this staff means what it says when it says we’re going to get our best guys on the field.

I thought the defensive linemen really looked good, even intimidating, in the Friday practice films we saw. I think they have the athletic ability to be pretty good. We’ll have to see how well they master the techniques for the positions but they’re probably going to need quite a number of snaps before they develop a high comfort level with their ability to read and react. I figure they’ll each get about 40 or so snaps in the scrimmage coming up and we’ll have another scrimmage probably at the end of next week. Given our inexperience and the way the guys have looked so far from the limited film we’ve seen and the general tone of the reports we’ve gotten I could see us have a higher number of guys rotating this year compared to last.

I don’t remember who it was now but earlier in the week one of our “reporters” said Gooden only played around 220 snaps last year out of 799 defensive snaps total, so maybe about 20 snaps per game.

Bumphus was rated as a 4-star athlete by ESPN out of high school and a 4-star WDE by rivals out of high school. 247 also rated him as a WDE, just not as high.

If you were to look at the top 50 tackle leaders in the SEC last year defensive linemen are almost non-existent. Where defensive linemen show up in the stats is the top 50 tackles for loss leaders. We ranked near the bottom for D-linemen last year with Phillips & Gooden each having 7. Do you really think the guys we’re working with this year can’t do better than that?

I understand the primary role of our D-Linemen is to sort of act like blockers for our linebackers. I for one would not want to try to block Darel Middleton. I mean the guy is scary and from the clips I saw Friday night he seems, like many others out there, to be having fun. He could really be a pleasant surprise this year.

Scrimmage reports are probably going to bard to come by Sunday but I think Pruitt gets a record audience for the live stream on his next press conference.

I would normally guess that in the first scrimmage that the offense will “kick the defense’s tail” but since it’s looking like To’oto’o may be running with the ones I’m holding off on all bets this time. jmo.

According to Vince Ferrara of WNML the team will have a closed scrimmage on Sunday.

I thought there was a lot more energy in Friday night’s practice than what we typically see and obviously the reports of key veterans becoming more vocal leaders is a positive sign.

I like our offensive line situation and hopefully we’ll figure out some way to hold on to what we’ve got for depth. I was disappointed to see Niehaus quit especially after Pruitt praised him in the spring. I think Pruitt was probably more disappointed in Nathan than I am. One of the things we will be dealing with maybe for some time is when we recruit over someone and they can see the writing on the wall that they’re unlikely to measure up in the competition to become a starter some of the older guys may choose to transfer. I understand that. What is disappointing is if you don’t intend to transfer then quitting is simply abandoning your teammates. I read Nathan’s note but I’ve sort of heard other things too. Anyway, he probably won’t be the last. It’s a tough situation for the coaches but I respect and trust that this staff means what it says when it says we’re going to get our best guys on the field.

I thought the defensive linemen really looked good, even intimidating, in the Friday practice films we saw. I think they have the athletic ability to be pretty good. We’ll have to see how well they master the techniques for the positions but they’re probably going to need quite a number of snaps before they develop a high comfort level with their ability to read and react. I figure they’ll each get about 40 or so snaps in the scrimmage coming up and we’ll have another scrimmage probably at the end of next week. Given our inexperience and the way the guys have looked so far from the limited film we’ve seen and the general tone of the reports we’ve gotten I could see us have a higher number of guys rotating this year compared to last.

I don’t remember who it was now but earlier in the week one of our “reporters” said Gooden only played around 220 snaps last year out of 799 defensive snaps total, so maybe about 20 snaps per game.

Bumphus was rated as a 4-star athlete by ESPN out of high school and a 4-star WDE by rivals out of high school. 247 also rated him as a WDE, just not as high.

If you were to look at the top 50 tackle leaders in the SEC last year defensive linemen are almost non-existent. Where defensive linemen show up in the stats is the top 50 tackles for loss leaders. We ranked near the bottom for D-linemen last year with Phillips & Gooden each having 7. Do you really think the guys we’re working with this year can’t do better than that?

I understand the primary role of our D-Linemen is to sort of act like blockers for our linebackers. I for one would not want to try to block Darel Middleton. I mean the guy is scary and from the clips I saw Friday night he seems, like many others out there, to be having fun. He could really be a pleasant surprise this year.

Scrimmage reports are probably going to bard to come by Sunday but I think Pruitt gets a record audience for the live stream on his next press conference.

I would normally guess that in the first scrimmage that the offense will “kick the defense’s tail” but since it’s looking like To’oto’o may be running with the ones I’m holding off on all bets this time. jmo.
Was To'oto'o rated too low?

In some way I feel bad for Austin Pope. For several years he was billed as a recruiting and practice “diamond in the rough.” I was led to believe by the VQ staff that he was going to shock the world one day with a breakout season. I remember distinctly getting excited when he broke free against Florida last fall because of that hype. Then he fumbled it through the end zone. And he hasn’t played much since. Now he’s 4th string. Tough career. Tough way to be remembered...

Scrimmage at 3 Sunday.

Trey Smith has a combination of elite power with expert level knowledge on leverage. He straight up lifted that dude and slammed him. That was a clinic he just put on....

If his health gets worked out, he’s All-Pro one day. This kid is special and such a good young man. Very Humble, but has that quite rage within him when he straps on the helmet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back