Recruiting Forum Football Talk [RIP 9.3.2019]

Status
Not open for further replies.
With bringing back almost everyone of significance, think +2 in the win column is gonna be my expectation

7-5
Put me down for 7
Barring something stupid, *undeniable* injury impact - QB or more than 1 at the same position. Second string OL worries me.

You know, something unbelievable but so TN.

Hi guys, been a while since I’ve been in here. Just curious of our thoughts on our football recruiting here lately. I’ve some what kept up and it seems like we are missing on a lot. Panic mode or no?

Hi guys, been a while since I’ve been in here. Just curious of our thoughts on our football recruiting here lately. I’ve some what kept up and it seems like we are missing on a lot. Panic mode or no?
Half are in panic mode (but they are always in panic mode about something) ex: they were b!tching cjp hadn't worn orange in the first x amount of days as coach...

The other half no. They are patient and waiting for the summer to come. (Thats when we should start getting commits)

Depends on who you ask.
Imo - Most are head to head with Bama, GA and so on. (Except one)
Everyone wants to fish in the same waters as the big boys and this is part of it.
We could have had a couple more wins by now, if we were building a Butch Jones class.

Haha, I scrolled back through the sarcastic and snide "it's only May" posts.
And compared those to claims of "just innocently giving opinions and being attacked..unprovoked".

If you take that journey, grab your waders.
The tall ones.
Haha that is some deep water. Snorkel may be the more appropriate gear.

Rein not reign which would be like a king reigning over a kingdom.
Haha I definitely just saw how the OP posted it and didn't catch it. I have shamed my mother's good name as she would not approve such error. Good catch. Here, I'll fix it.

Tennessee will reign over the sec this college football season.

Haha I definitely just saw how the OP posted it and didn't catch it. I have shamed my mother's good name as she would not approve such error. Good catch. Here, I'll fix it.

Tennessee will reign over the sec this college football season.
That means the Vols would rein in the SEC's other 13 teams. I am all for it.

Not spoiler - just thoughts 48 hours later.

Still surprised, reading around, so few focus on how the ending, and entire show, was about ENDING The Game. So many seem to think The Game should have continued/been won by X character, tons should have died, etc. It was always easy to focus on the character arcs, when the show was ultimately about the story arc. It was about the political philosophy. It was about ending The Game/The Wheel, etc, it was not about where some character ended up. In fact, any study of The Game shows how little individuals ultimately matter. They act as means to an end, as Bran so perfectly articulated time and again. They were never the end, aka "so and so will end up in The Throne and that's what matters".

Guys, gotta lot of catching up to do. Haven't been on much lately. Please keep me and my family in your thoughts and prayers. Lost my dad late last Thursday. He was a Korean War vet serving in the Air Force. After he retired, he got heavily involved in his ancestry, eventually discovering we were blood descendants of President James Buchanan and then tracing it all the way back to Scotland. He got to make 2 trips to Scotland eventually and was very proud of his work on his ancestry. I guess you could say he was ancestry.com way before it existed because most of his work were hand-written notes except for copies of documents he obtained over the years from various gov't agencies etc. I was able to secure a Scotsman in full attire to play Amazing Grace on the bagpipes during his memorial service and that moment along with the flag folding and presentation of the flag to my mom were 2 memories I will cherish and never forget. For those of you who still have your fathers, I hope and pray that you all cherish and honor them all you can for as long as you can.
Prayers for you and your family! And what an inspiration he must have been for you. Love the ancestry.com comment. Genealogy was my hobby way before ancestry.com also and traced two lines back to Scotland. So glad he got to go twice. And nothing beats Amazing Grace on the bagpipes! Well done!

Hard to win in the SEC without solid lines- it’s the most important thing by far. Mizzou was able to come into the league and play well because of their line play. I’m afraid we’re going to struggle some until we get the line built back up to elite status- that’s when we really start rolling.

I think 6/7 is our floor and 10 is our ceiling (that’s everything going perfectly).... hear me out.

There is a legitimate jump in being in this from year 1 to year 2 (Pruitt hasn’t even shown his full hand as far as what this defense [schematically] can do) you will see better edge presence and that will open up a lot of what you can do in this defense in the middle.
We also have Ansley so the techniques of our secondary will be very much improved! (It matters because it’s a secondary lead defense)
Also, offensively there will be legit answers to offensive line problems and we have the backfield talent to help in the pass game which is huge.

Obviously with the new additions to both the offensive and defensive lines there are question marks... so that’s a concern.

Remember though Florida game looks a lot different without the turnovers... we are just as talented as Florida is. Some may not agree.

We held with GA in the second half but didn’t have answers for them in the second half there was just bounces that went there way and a talent gap. It could be close but don’t see us winning that game.

SC should of won that game
Vandy... we gave up (we will have something to play for)
Mizz will be a tough outing we just need to control the ball and slow the game down
Miss St... winnable the HC is a good offensive minded guy so that will be interesting I just don’t think they will win

Believe it or not I actually am more scared of the UAB game then I am the FL game simply because the assumptions... that seems like a trap game to me... UAB isn’t anything to laugh at... there staff is very good... (runs the same stuff we do on defense)

Assuming we win 4 out of 6 between
FL, Miss St, Mizz, SC, Vandy, Kentucky

That would get us to 8 assuming we take care of our non conference opponents

I think we get to 9 wins this season but that means we beat one of Mizz or FL... and I think it’s FL.

I'm just waiting for @Orange defense to come in here spouting about how he's not liking A&M and trying to transfer and UT is possible landing spot if he can convince Chris to come to UT
Well! Right now he is working his tail off practicing and lifting weights to try and get a starting position over there. He told me that he is going there to win a spot, and not fail. He has gotten bigger, faster, and stronger in the last 4 months.

Not spoiler - just thoughts 48 hours later.

Still surprised, reading around, so few focus on how the ending, and entire show, was about ENDING The Game. So many seem to think The Game should have continued/been won by X character, tons should have died, etc. It was always easy to focus on the character arcs, when the show was ultimately about the story arc. It was about the political philosophy. It was about ending The Game/The Wheel, etc, it was not about where some character ended up. In fact, any study of The Game shows how little individuals ultimately matter. They act as means to an end, as Bran so perfectly articulated time and again. They were never the end, aka "so and so will end up in The Throne and that's what matters".
Buuuut its sitting at a 4.4 now on IMDB so the consensus is there's clearly some major issues

Last edited:
Reactions: UTProf
I think 6/7 is our floor and 10 is our ceiling (that’s everything going perfectly).... hear me out.

There is a legitimate jump in being in this from year 1 to year 2 (Pruitt hasn’t even shown his full hand as far as what this defense [schematically] can do) you will see better edge presence and that will open up a lot of what you can do in this defense in the middle.
We also have Ansley so the techniques of our secondary will be very much improved! (It matters because it’s a secondary lead defense)
Also, offensively there will be legit answers to offensive line problems and we have the backfield talent to help in the pass game which is huge.

Obviously with the new additions to both the offensive and defensive lines there are question marks... so that’s a concern.

Remember though Florida game looks a lot different without the turnovers... we are just as talented as Florida is. Some may not agree.

We held with GA in the second half but didn’t have answers for them in the second half there was just bounces that went there way and a talent gap. It could be close but don’t see us winning that game.

SC should of won that game
Vandy... we gave up (we will have something to play for)
Mizz will be a tough outing we just need to control the ball and slow the game down
Miss St... winnable the HC is a good offensive minded guy so that will be interesting I just don’t think they will win

Believe it or not I actually am more scared of the UAB game then I am the FL game simply because the assumptions... that seems like a trap game to me... UAB isn’t anything to laugh at... there staff is very good... (runs the same stuff we do on defense)

Assuming we win 4 out of 6 between
FL, Miss St, Mizz, SC, Vandy, Kentucky

That would get us to 8 assuming we take care of our non conference opponents

I think we get to 9 wins this season but that means we beat one of Mizz or FL... and I think it’s FL.

Re: UAB

Clark (UAB) heads into 2019 replacing his leading passer, his top four wideouts, four starting offensive linemen, all three starting defensive linemen, four of his top five linebackers, and four of his top seven defensive backs. When he was putting together his zombie roster, he predictably leaned heavily into the JUCO ranks — you would, too, because the only other option was to hit the ground with a bunch of redshirt freshmen.

Though he tried his best to balance classes and not field a lineup with 22 juniors in 2017, Clark still had a lot of juniors. They became seniors for last year’s C-USA title run, and now they’re gone. He dipped back into the JUCO well a bit again this year and probably will most years moving forward, but 2019’s the season in which the quest for roster balance takes center stage. It might be at least momentarily bumpy.

Clark got his 2014 offensive coordinator back last fall. Bryant Vincent, who left for South Alabama when the program disbanded, returned to Birmingham and engineered at least a little bit of improvement. The Blazers rose from 117th to 104th in Off. S&P+ and perhaps would have improved more with a full season of Johnston at the helm. This is a defense-first program and likely always will be with Clark in charge, but the offense had the makings of an identity last fall, combining run-first efficiency with big-play passing.

With Johnston, the pass didn’t have to play quite as complementary a role. He was 25-for-39 for 306 yards, two touchdowns, and two picks against a good Texas A&M defense late in the year, then torched an almost equally strong NIU defense to the tune of 17-for-29 for 373 yards, four scores, and one pick in the Boca Raton Bowl.

That "good" Texas A&M defense ranked #98 in the nation last year against the pass and Northern Illinois ranked #95. Both were excellent against the run but couldn't defend the pass if their lives depended on it.

Clark had 23 guys in his 2019 recruiting class. 16 signed and I think the jury is out on whether or not the other 7 get enrolled. There were I think 5 JUCO guys in the class. Connelly gives UAB a 7% chance of pulling the upset in Neyland. Last year UAB was #10 in returning production; this year they are dead last in FBS at #130. I think the preseason ESPN FPI projects us as a 24 point favorite at home against the Blazers. The same projection I think has us as a 5.7 point underdog in the swamp.

I recently went back and watched all the post game interviews from our games with Missouri and Vanderbilt last year. The big difference this year is if we have guys who don't want to play we have enough bodies now that we can put someone else on the field. Last year we just didn't have the bodies so we were stuck. While I understand the idea of our game with UAB being a trap game this year, I think we'll blow their 2019 team off the field when they visit Neyland. The Florida game may be closer but I'm figuring, owing to the loss of 7 of their top 8 offensive linemen and key playmakers at all three levels on defense, we will have a good shot to win that one as well. jmo.

UAB has a big challenge in 2019, but it’s overcome bigger

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back