Recruiting Forum Football Talk [RIP 9.3.2019]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Early yesterday I refreshed my understanding of the various stages of grief in anticipation of observing how the saga in Gainesville would play out. Obviously in the wee hours of the morning before the official news of Steele entering the transfer portal broke, denial was widespread in Gator nation. Then after the rumors were confirmed a few moved quickly into the anger phase. Some were angry at the staff, some were angry at Steele, and some just became angry with each other.

In the 5 stages of grief model the stages don’t really have to happen in any particular order so I wasn’t really surprised when I saw a few people advance rather quickly to the bargaining phase. Steele is in the transfer portal so he’s like not gone gone, at least not yet. Maybe Mullen can get him back. That sort of thing. Of course that never works but you can’t tell people that when they’re grasping for something positive to hold on to. So we have depression and acceptance yet to witness. I figured with all the decommits we’d have at least some depression by now but it’s still mostly anger and bargaining with a few still stuck in denial. Anyway, I afraid these people have a ways to go yet before they get to acceptance.

Please understand I am only conducting these observations of the meltdown of Gator football out of purely scientific curiosity.
Should we buy them a case of Natty Lite or something?

Genuinely concerned about their well being and mental state.

Reactions: ChattaTNVol
Rooting for Tennessee baseball
View attachment 205108
Can’t believe they choked away a 9-3 lead. They really needed to sweep Florida. Their chances of making the NCAA tournament are getting smaller and smaller. Is the pitching staff tired or something? They have been terrible lately and have blown a few big leads.

Can’t believe they choked away a 9-3 lead. They really needed to sweep Florida. Their chances of making the NCAA tournament are getting smaller and smaller. Is the pitching staff tired or something? They have been terrible lately and have blown a few big leads.

It's UT. It's what they do. Twice they've blown 7 run cushions. Mentally, I think Arky broke them and UF last night buried them. While they do have a chance, it's going to take winning the next 2 vs UF and somehow get a win in their last series. Both seem beyond this teams capabilities right now. They're now like a golfer with the yips. It's in their heads...it's also in the fans heads, too. What was once a promising season now becomes the chase to make hoover....again.

"Say not that ducks cannot pulleth trucks" Jennings 9:24
giphy.gif

I get the "why" behind PED banning...but also, if you're a professional athlete (or planning to become one) PEDs is kind of a huge umbrella term.

Cortisone shots for example are technically steroids, those are OK though? I mean I don't know...Bigger, Stronger, Faster is an eye opening documentary about PEDs and worth a watch.

Cortisone is a catch all for the class of glucocorticoids. These steroids only block inflammation. No Androgenic properties at all.

Anabolic steroids are the PEDs. Totally androgenic.

Hope that helps. I have to tell athletes all the time that when I say that I am prescribing oral steroids or a steroid shot that they absolutely won’t fail any drug tests or violate any PEDs rules.

After taking a shot at Georgia, Dan Mullen about to lose top recruit to transfer portal

“I’d think we did a poor job recruiting if guys were coming in and then immediately walking out the door because it was something different than what they thought it would be and we lied to them during recruiting, or we sold them on a dream that wasn’t true,” Mullen said.
Thanks! Didn't see that one anywhere. I found one later where he said something about 14,000 which turned out to be 14,000 days since GA won a title. Conclusions.... 1. Mullen is like Kiffin so another reason I am glad we did not get him. 2. Players today expect to get what they want when they want it, and the easy transfer is going to encourage more transfers and sooner. 3. It appears Steele has a good argument to present to the NCAA unlike Fields and Tate which from this years rulings means he will have to sit a year.

Last edited:
Reactions: chargervol
Thanks! Didn't see that one anywhere. I found one later where he said something about 14,000 which turned out to 14,000 days since GA won a title. Conclusions.... 1. Mullen is like Kiffin so another reason I am glad we did not get him. 2. Players today expect to get what they want when they want it, and the easy transfer is going to encourage more transfers and sooner. 3. It appears Steele has a good argument to present to the NCAA unlike Fields and Tate which from this years rulings means he will have to sit a year.
i think Mullen is butch jones. and i'm fine with that. all fluff no substance. hope they keep him for at least 5 years. this will be hte easiest thing to use against FL in recruiting, like ever.

FSU and Miami and the rest of the SEC east will make sure this never dies down. mama and papa gonna hear about this everytime they sit down with an opposing coach.....

i think Mullen is butch jones. and i'm fine with that. all fluff no substance. hope they keep him for at least 5 years. this will be hte easiest thing to use against FL in recruiting, like ever.

FSU and Miami and the rest of the SEC east will make sure this never dies down. mama and papa gonna hear about this everytime they sit down with an opposing coach.....
So he's Butch Jones and runs his mouth like Lane Kiffin? So glad we didn't get him! So glad FL did! And, yes, hope they keep him 5 years.

UF won't keep Mullen five years if he doesn't meet expectations. They'll send him packing if things go too far south. The Gators might sink to the bottom but they push right off it, unlike UT, which flounders there for a while due to a tendency to prolong bad decisions.

Our problem seems to be 15+ years of bungling leadership that refused to get out of it’s own way. Looks like some recent steps have been taken to rectify, I just hope it’s not too late. There isn’t another program that I’d love to see suffer from a similar stretch of ineptitude than Florida.

UF won't keep Mullen five years if he doesn't meet expectations. They'll send him packing if things go too far south. The Gators might sink to the bottom but they push right off it, unlike UT, which flounders there for a while due to a tendency to prolong bad decisions.
weird that's the case. the easy answer is that because FL has so much talent, it's just easier to "get back" down there, than here.

it feels like, and has felt like, everything is so much harder to here than almost anywhere else. at least in terms of getting back to a championship level program. i htink we're going to find out this year and next, we can get back to being a 7 or 8 win team, in fairly short order.

but how to jump in to that next, upper tier? feels like the ceiling keeps getting raised on us...............whereas FL just continues to crap all over itself, and the mantra is "they'll be back,k they'll be fine....cause, well, Florida"....

anyway...i think that for us right now our trajectory at least looks better than UF's right now. need to keep it that way, and i think beating them in the swamp this year would be a great start............

weird that's the case. the easy answer is that because FL has so much talent, it's just easier to "get back" down there, than here.

it feels like, and has felt like, everything is so much harder to here than almost anywhere else. at least in terms of getting back to a championship level program. i htink we're going to find out this year and next, we can get back to being a 7 or 8 win team, in fairly short order.

but how to jump in to that next, upper tier? feels like the ceiling keeps getting raised on us...............whereas FL just continues to crap all over itself, and the mantra is "they'll be back,k they'll be fine....cause, well, Florida"....

anyway...i think that for us right now our trajectory at least looks better than UF's right now. need to keep it that way, and i think beating them in the swamp this year would be a great start............

In-state talent base is a factor, but the difference in our situation compared to most of our biggest rivals has more to do with differences in leadership imo.

Last edited:
Reactions: jakez4ut
Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back