Recruiting Forum Football Talk [RIP 9.3.2019]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some good stuff from The Athletic Jonathan Kongbo interview

What was watching the coaching search like for the players?

First off, let’s talk about that season.

Sure.

The (2017) season was so ****** because I don’t know, we just saw the program crumble in front of us. That **** was just sad, bro. I don’t even know what else to say. Getting blown out by 50. We just, guys were not going to fight for a coach they don’t believe in.

Let’s put it like this, we’ll generalize it. In war, if you read a lot of stories, men would do a lot for their generals if the general was a good leader or if he went out to battle with them or they had a sense the general would give up his life for them, they would do the same. It was never like that before.

Before it was like, they’ll throw you under the bus just like that. They didn’t give an F about you. It was “protect their ass, protect their ass, protect their ass.”

Whereas now, they care. They care, man. They’re helping people with whatever issues you had.

So what did the players think during the coaching search, when every other day it seems like a new name is the guy who’s going to be your coach?

Man, Tennessee is a drama show. It needs its own series, man.

I think a lot of people would agree with you on that.

Yeah, I didn’t really like all that, just because people were calling us trash. I’m like, “Hell, nah, I’m not trash. I worked my ass off.” I didn’t like how the program was painted and ridiculed. No one would talk about Tennessee respectfully. Everything was a joke.

Butch Jones was a punchline. It just made you feel like, “Damn, all this work I put in for this?” To get shat on?

LSU has no choice imo. You can’t fire Wade until FBi investigation is complete. So you can’t hire a new coach for who knows how long that case takes. If you fire wade and it turns out nothing is there then lawsuit. They probably verified that it won’t come back on school and only him so just letting him coach it out until more comes out
coaches have been fired for less. eh hem....bbq attendees....

and i don't think JL had a ton of good will left with fans anyway, with how the Les Miles deal was handled, either time, or that he got worked over by UF in that hurricane game deal....

Reactions: drvenner
I think the UF fans have changed. They are nowhere near as rabid as they used to be. I was there in 2003 and the environment was very hostile. I was also there in 2015 and after a brutal loss and a completely undeserved win for UF, their fans were nice and basically treated us like terminal cancer patients.

Reactions: quadlee21
LSU has no choice imo. You can’t fire Wade until FBi investigation is complete. So you can’t hire a new coach for who knows how long that case takes. If you fire wade and it turns out nothing is there then lawsuit. They probably verified that it won’t come back on school and only him so just letting him coach it out until more comes out

I think it's the buyout that's holding off the Wade firing. You'd assume they put in a clause to get them out of it if firing for something like FBI/NCAA issues. Who knows though

I actually went to see a Stryper show back in the 80s. Even looking back in retrospect now, I still can't quite be sure what to make of all that.

I don't like crapping on genres as a whole.. Christian rock could be the cheesy, churchy, "Lift me up" stuff, which isn't my cup of tea. But I've seen Mewithoutyou live, and that was an incredible show. Not ham-fisted or preachy, not contrived, not the arts and crafts daycamp vibe. I still listen to Mewithoutyou from time to time. There are bands that you hear were actually writing Christian-themed music after the fact that you're like Whoaa whodathunk? If a band starts by saying "We're a Christian band, all glory to yadda yadda yadda" nothing gets me to turn the dial faster.

Mental jewelry was outstanding.. I remember I was at a Widespread concert before they got bigger, like a 2000 max seat venue, they were setting up and one of the roadies had put the album on to play, I was like who the hell is this? He told me and I bought the album the next day. By the time iris or lightning crashes came out I was already a Live expert. There is something about the way they capture that post-pubescent angst in their music that is unique, a feeling that never completely leaves a man, but only suppressed

I think the UF fans have changed. They are nowhere near as rabid as they used to be. I was there in 2003 and the environment was very hostile. I was also there in 2015 and after a brutal loss and a completely undeserved win for UF, their fans were nice and basically treated us like terminal cancer patients.

Empathy.....after enduring Dooley and Jones, Florida fans realized we have suffered enough. 🤣😂

How could they verify that? Is the NCAA going to tell them, "nah, you're good?"

Quite a few really good bands are Christian.

NEEDTOBREATHE, Red, Switchfoot, Skillet, Demon Hunter, P.O.D., Flyleaf to name a few I like.

First, LOVE Neetobreathe.
Second: There is some really solid rap too including Lecrae, Trip Lee, Andy Mineo, Toby Nwigwe and NF (though those last two are more rappers who are Christian and you can tell)

I didn't wanna be that guy.

At least it's Live. Like, they had a few mainstream jams in the 90's. Haven't had the need or urge to listen to any deeper cuts, but it could be way worse... like soft-rock stuff that 'hip' Presbyterian churches play.

Lakhinis Juice is the best Live song ever.

First, LOVE Neetobreathe.
Second: There is some really solid rap too including Lecrae, Trip Lee, Andy Mineo, Toby Nwigwe and NF (though those last two are more rappers who are Christian and you can tell)

Grits out of Nashville is a decent Christian hip hop duo.

Nothing I said suggested that you are. And, don't know if that was a Freudian slip, but that's actually the name of a Live song!

Just figured singling me out was suggestion enough. Its all good, this is what it sounds like when dolphin's cry.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back