Recruiting Forum Football Talk [RIP 9.3.2019]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Actually, I was just thinking at the beginning of tonight's episode:
I remember back at the beginning of season 1, Daenerys was a sniveling, whiny little shitmess and I didn't see anything attractive or appealing about her at all. Fast forward to tonight and she's riding into town like she owns all dat, having just flexed up all over anyone in her path, and she's just straightup hotter than dammit. Competence and confidence do tend to make a people attractive.

Dany is going to lose a lot of fans by the end of the season IMO. She's already starting to resemble the Mad King.
And if/when she finds out that Jon is the true heir to the Iron Throne, it won't get prettier. Remember back in Season 4 or so, when Tywin Lannister told Joffrey, "Anyone who has to remind everyone he's king, is no true king"? Dany's whole thing is "I have dragons, I'm the queen, bend the knee". She's gonna go apeshit when the truth comes out.
She is hot though.

And the FedEx St. Jude Classic is now a World Golf event, which should get Tiger here. I will make time to go for that.

Can't imagine him not playing unless his health is an issue. Major step up for that tourney. Even more international exposure for St. Jude and the Memphis area. The stars bring the crowds. We decided to not go to the Heritage this year since it looked like a similar field as in the past. Then at the last minute Spieth decides to enter. Oh well...

When someone makes such a claim as "one of the greatest ….", the onus is on them to justify it, not for others to disprove it. However, since you asked such an easy question to answer.

Tiger won his 5th green jacket in 23 years. Many participants have greater accomplishments in other sports.
Roger Federer in tennis: something like 8 Wimbledons in 15 years (and we won't even talk about BJ King or Martina);
Earnhardt (man I hated that guy) in Nascar: 7 championships in 15 years; Petty: 7 Daytona 500 championships in 18 years;
Yankees: 6 WS championships in 24 years from 77 to 2000 (of course not counting their others)
and then there's UCLA with their 10 ships in 12 years and our Lady Vols with 8 ships in 22 years. (We'll try to ignore Saban and Bama.)

And I could go on and on. This is simply golf fans overstating an accomplishment in a sport they love by a player they admire. I realize some are impressed with Tiger. In his prime he drew me to watching more golf than I ever have. But seriously.

So it's one of the greatest accomplishments in golf. I mean, that's what you just described. Something that's only been done in golf twice has nothing to do with other sports.
You make some valid points but I still disagree with you. All the accomplishments you mention are at least comparable, but this one has unique qualities that the others do not. If I can get to my laptop later, I will try to defend my position a little better. Thank you for discussing in a respectful manner.

Well we have truly entered the forum wasteland now until August. I hope you all brought plenty of water and sunscreen as its going to be a mighty long trek. Some of you may not make it but know that there is glory at the end of the arduous journey that the brave may revel in!

Mix of MLB, the rest of NBA/NHL playoffs, ...golf/NASCAR?, and "Here's where I'm taking the ol' wife and kids on vacation for a week. Oh look, another Vol fan at some random restaurant", broken up every now and again with a commitment, which will spur on usual arguments over long-term expectations (where everyone's pretty much on the same page, but two folks don't understand that they're agreeing with each other and have an internet argument anyway).. Until SEC Media Days in July.. And then in August we've got new practice reports.

So basically we just have to get through the next three months.

I didn't think there was much wasted time in GoT last night. It may not have been rasslin and fightin all night but it was pretty lean. Just about everything in it was necessary setup and exposition. Besides, there were a lot of characters meeting up again after a long time. We all know what's been going on with everybody's lives but they don't. They can't exactly be all "hey how's it goin" and leave it at that.

Even still, I found the whole episode very engaging throughout and I thought it moved various elements of the story along very well.

Can't believe they killed off Dany this soon though.

heeheehee nawwww

What’s your opinion? Clown. You have been talking all night, what’s your opinion? That you like to hit golf balls by the tree over the sand?
So, why don't you enlighten all of us grubs who have not been blessed with your profound knowledge? What is it about Tiger's golf game that is so bad? You bitch about people not knowing what they're talking about but the only info you have been able to provide is that he cheated on his wife? Are you a marriage counselor also? While I'm at it, what expertise do you have that enables you to run down JG at every available opportunity?

With all this time on my hands I may just write a book.
tenor.gif

Simonton on VQ podcast talking about the group of instate kids (Cooper, Baron, Hardy, Lawrence, etc) all close, hanging on the field Saturday with Harrison Bailey, he feels like these kids are going to be the "foundation of this class and it's being put together" even if they haven't committed yet. Price agreed and said he feels that Summer time is when we'll see the commits take place.

Simonton on VQ podcast talking about the group of instate kids (Cooper, Baron, Hardy, Lawrence, etc) all close, hanging on the field Saturday with Harrison Bailey, he feels like these kids are going to be the "foundation of this class and it's being put together" even if they haven't committed yet. Price agreed and said he feels that Summer time is when we'll see the commits take place.
Someone reads VN

Reactions: ChismsHeadband

Yep. And Ratledge, with his UT family ties. Those are the dominos.

Spring game thoughts:

On defense, love where we are at in the secondary. We’re going to be elite at corner with Taylor and Thompson. Have to develop some depth behind them, but we’ve got 2 all sec guys there imo. I think we’ll be good at safety as well and Tank is gonna be a big contributor early.

I think we’re gonna be good at LB. we know what we have with Bituli and he’ll be better this year. The emergence of Reid is huge for this group. Ignont has gotten better as well and is in better shape. Need JJ to step it up there for depth and then we have Crouch and Henry who will be freshmen, but very talented freshmen.

On the DL... uh, feel great about Taylor and Gooden, optimistic on Solomon, but then...? No idea. That position worries me. I really hope Crouch can help in the pass rush dept. also Bennett and Johnson looked pretty good at OLB but not elite by any means. That’s a concerning position.

On offense:

We are loaded at receiver and I love our running backs, especially if Banks is over the fumbleitus. Add in Gray and we look very good at the skill positions.

JG looked better than last year, he’s still slow at getting the ball out tho. But Chaney wasn’t gonna fix that in 15 practices. Maybe he’ll be better in the fall (hope so).

OL = terrified. That is all.

Now that Spring is over, I wonder when we'll start seeing some guys going into the portal. Gotta think coaches will be having exit interviews this week,

I think he missed that put on 18 on purpose. He knew he had 2nd place wrapped up, took the pressure off of tiger to make par and he didn't want to be the guy to ruin Tiger's day and become a villain for the rest of his career. Just my opinion. Could be wrong.
I don't think so. As competitive as these guys are, I think they do everything that can, within the rules, to win. That's exactly what they should do.

Sadly the series took on it's own life related to the story in the books. Most fans of the story (not just the show) are pretty annoyed that the series will now finish before Martin gets out the next (maybe last) book. So there is worry his original story will be tarnished by the series and the direction they go.

I felt like the episode last night was fine it recapped and introduced a few new things to think on...my biggest gripe is there is 5 episodes left and nothing really "moved" in the story last night, so they'll rush things to get it all in at this point.
I thought there were two more books.

Reactions: UTProf and Aesius
The short answer is... nothing! But you have brought up a very thought provoking question.

IDK if you remember TW in his early years, but he grew up idolizing MJ. He wanted to be like Mike (or greater than Mike) even down to his fist pump. He was surprised, and probably hurt, when some fans criticized his on course behavior. I remember him saying "Nobody criticizes MJ when he does it!"

Ah, but golf was not basketball or football. Those of us that grew up watching the "gentleman's game" of Nicklaus (who I never really liked either), Palmer, and Trevino (my favorite) had never seen behavior like his on the golf course, so some of us thought it was disrespectful showmanship. I remember taking an immediate dislike to TW at that point. Looking back, his behavior was not necessarily "wrong", it was just different, something we had never seen before in golf. And he has attracted a lot of noisy (sometimes obnoxious) fans, whose behavior doesn't belong on the golf course either IMO.

Ironically, he has grown up and now behaves like a "gentleman" on the golf course, like we saw at Augusta. I think he knows that he is a role model for the younger golfers (and has spent a lot of his time mentoring the young pros). He is also trying hard to repair his image with the public after his affairs & messy divorce.

Nobody can question the fact that he was the best golfer on Sunday. Every aspect of his game was top notch, and he deserved to win.

But, old likes/dislikes die hard. I would rather root for Spieth (if he can ever get his s**t together again), DJ, Fowler, and of course, Phil.
I absolutely hate all the "You the man" and"Get in the hole!" crap that the idiots yell after every single shot.

I don’t know if I would state that it’s the greatest accomplishment I have ever seen. But you are missing the point about why it’s great. It’s not because he has 5 green jackets in 23 years. It’s because the things he went through to win 11 years after his last major. Witnesses will tell you he couldn’t walk from his chair to his car after one of his surgeries. He isn’t getting any younger.

Whether I think it was “the greatest” or not, it was pretty spectacular and fun to watch.
Exactly.

Reactions: Ulysees E. McGill
Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back