Recruiting Forum Football Talk [RIP 9.3.2019]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like Koepka a whole lot more than I did before this Masters...he actually seemed more like a human that gives a crap this week, I think the course kind of humbled him a little after he shot that 66. Be hard for me to pull against him from now on

I think he missed that put on 18 on purpose. He knew he had 2nd place wrapped up, took the pressure off of tiger to make par and he didn't want to be the guy to ruin Tiger's day and become a villain for the rest of his career. Just my opinion. Could be wrong.

Why do so many people have issues with character interaction and exposition? It's a huge story, that takes time to tell. You guys will get your wish though. It's gonna be nothing but blood and guts from here on in.

The issue is largely that they didn’t reveal anything new after a long hiatus. Wouldn’t be a big deal to waste an episode if it weren’t the final season which is already only 6 episodes. I’m fine with development but it’s season 8 and time to sh*t or get off the pot.

Why do so many people have issues with character interaction and exposition? It's a huge story, that takes time to tell. You guys will get your wish though. It's gonna be nothing but blood and guts from here on in.

Sadly the series took on it's own life related to the story in the books. Most fans of the story (not just the show) are pretty annoyed that the series will now finish before Martin gets out the next (maybe last) book. So there is worry his original story will be tarnished by the series and the direction they go.

I felt like the episode last night was fine it recapped and introduced a few new things to think on...my biggest gripe is there is 5 episodes left and nothing really "moved" in the story last night, so they'll rush things to get it all in at this point.

Reactions: Devo182
I think he missed that put on 18 on purpose. He knew he had 2nd place wrapped up, took the pressure off of tiger to make par and he didn't want to be the guy to ruin Tiger's day and become a villain for the rest of his career. Just my opinion. Could be wrong.

I don't think Brooks really cares if he's a villain or not. He has said so in interviews recently... He seems like he doesn't really care about much of anything to be honest, which is why alot of people have a hard time getting behind him. I'm a fan but i can see why others aren't.

IMO he wanted to make that putt but i guess we'll never really know!

The issue is largely that they didn’t reveal anything new after a long hiatus. Wouldn’t be a big deal to waste an episode if it weren’t the final season which is already only 6 episodes. I’m fine with development but it’s season 8 and time to sh*t or get off the pot.
Ok..I feel completely different. This show, or the books for that matter, has never bored me.

Series has always had pacing issues. First few seasons were entertaining but slow story progression. Later seasons had to move faster out of necessity. Now they’re about to cram it all in the final few after slow pacing yet another episode with exposition we already knew about.
I think the issue I had with the episode is that it’s a short 6 episode season. That episode would have been great in season 1-7, but I have a lot of questions that need to be answered lol. I felt like some of it was forced, but still a good episode...can’t wait for next episode.

What is wrong with some emotion? They are competitors not preachers. If you let a fist pump intimidate you then you should play chess. Everybody gets on Koepka about being a robot but that guy is a big tournament golfer. Thing that really surprised me was Woods shaking hands with Poulter when he was the one that ratted Woods out with his family’s nanny.

The short answer is... nothing! But you have brought up a very thought provoking question.

IDK if you remember TW in his early years, but he grew up idolizing MJ. He wanted to be like Mike (or greater than Mike) even down to his fist pump. He was surprised, and probably hurt, when some fans criticized his on course behavior. I remember him saying "Nobody criticizes MJ when he does it!"

Ah, but golf was not basketball or football. Those of us that grew up watching the "gentleman's game" of Nicklaus (who I never really liked either), Palmer, and Trevino (my favorite) had never seen behavior like his on the golf course, so some of us thought it was disrespectful showmanship. I remember taking an immediate dislike to TW at that point. Looking back, his behavior was not necessarily "wrong", it was just different, something we had never seen before in golf. And he has attracted a lot of noisy (sometimes obnoxious) fans, whose behavior doesn't belong on the golf course either IMO.

Ironically, he has grown up and now behaves like a "gentleman" on the golf course, like we saw at Augusta. I think he knows that he is a role model for the younger golfers (and has spent a lot of his time mentoring the young pros). He is also trying hard to repair his image with the public after his affairs & messy divorce.

Nobody can question the fact that he was the best golfer on Sunday. Every aspect of his game was top notch, and he deserved to win.

But, old likes/dislikes die hard. I would rather root for Spieth (if he can ever get his s**t together again), DJ, Fowler, and of course, Phil.

Thanks for sharing this. I heard wrong then. I apologize for saying anything.
giphy.gif

Ok..I feel completely different. This show, or the books for that matter, has never bored me.

I don’t find it boring either, but I think they’re wasting precious time. I think we can both agree that there should be more Dolorous Edd jokes and less Sansa Stark staring about.

"I never win anything," Dolorous Edd complained. "The gods always smiled on Watt, though. When the wildlings knocked him off the Bridge of Skulls, somehow he landed in a nice deep pool of water. How lucky was that, missing all those rocks?"

"Was it a long fall?" Grenn wanted to know. "Did landing in the pool of water save his life?"

"No," said Dolorous Edd. "He was dead already, from that axe in his head. Still, it was pretty lucky, missing the rocks."

Lol!! Are you serious, Clark? Those guys are never going to miss anything on purpose, if they have a chance to win. They have gotten where they are, because they are ultra-competitive. Their competitive nature won’t allow them to miss a putt on purpose.

We should be competing for the east every year and winning it every three or four years. I'm not unrealistic about consistently beating bama every year but we should be competitive with them most years. I see bama slipping ever so slightly over the next few years. I think Saban gets tired of replacing the majority of his staff every year. I also think Jimbo will be a thorn for him. I think beating Candy, KY, Missouri, SC, splitting between GA and FL should be the norm. That gives you six wins right there. If you can't win 4 of the rest between non-conference and the West, you're probably not a consistenttop 10 team. We should at least strive to consistently be a top 10 team.
I think we’re basically saying the same thing. Agree on jimbo. I think he’s gonna be an absolute problem for the next handful of years. Hell they almost beat Clemson last year.

Reactions: InVOLuntary
The short answer is... nothing! But you have brought up a very thought provoking question.

IDK if you remember TW in his early years, but he grew up idolizing MJ. He wanted to be like Mike (or greater than Mike) even down to his fist pump. He was surprised, and probably hurt, when some fans criticized his on course behavior. I remember him saying "Nobody criticizes MJ when he does it!"

Ah, but golf was not basketball or football. Those of us that grew up watching the "gentleman's game" of Nicklaus (who I never really liked either), Palmer, and Trevino (my favorite) had never seen behavior like his on the golf course, so some of us thought it was disrespectful showmanship. I remember taking an immediate dislike to TW at that point. Looking back, his behavior was not necessarily "wrong", it was just different, something we had never seen before in golf. And he has attracted a lot of noisy (sometimes obnoxious) fans, whose behavior doesn't belong on the golf course either IMO.

Ironically, he has grown up and now behaves like a "gentleman" on the golf course, like we saw at Augusta. I think he knows that he is a role model for the younger golfers (and has spent a lot of his time mentoring the young pros). He is also trying hard to repair his image with the public after his affairs & messy divorce.

Nobody can question the fact that he was the best golfer on Sunday. Every aspect of his game was top notch, and he deserved to win.

But, old likes/dislikes die hard. I would rather root for Spieth (if he can ever get his s**t together again), DJ, Fowler, and of course, Phil.

Good post. You are spot on with the central issue being what the current bandwagons don't get or want. Golf has always been a "gentleman's game" even if a lot of the older and younger stars have not been gentlemen off the course. It has been the self-policing and integrity of the game first by following the rules, proper attire and etiquette that sets it apart. That generates respect for each other on the course and usually more than normal off. Families are a big deal to the vast majority of them. It's why Tiger and DJ angered many of them in their bad boy days. Glad to see both of them growing and maturing as people.

Simplified Masters recap:
DJ had 4 less bogeys than Tiger and no doubles. He lost by not making relatively easy putts. Loses by 1.

Schauffele had the same number of bogeys as Tiger (9). But he had a double bogey as well the first day. Loses by 1.

Koepka had 2 less bogeys than Tiger. But he had 2 double bogeys. Loses by 1.

Tiger is the ultimate grinder. Avoided the big mistakes and DJ couldn't putt. Won by 1.

Spieth needs to shut up and play. He needs to have fun again. Love his game when he is on, but that game is gone until he gets out of his own head/way.

Phil has always been one of the biggest trash talkers on tour. Only Kucher is better at it. Which blows the bandwagon fan's mind when they find out. That boyish smile is a front for an evil, but funny tongue. lol.

Last edited:
Reactions: Billy Antrim
SEC. I like where Pruitt is taking us, this year or next we'll see real signs of a East contender on the field too.

Saban will soon be gone from Bama and they will return to the dark ages for a time. A&M will rise (assuming Jimbo stays put) in the West and we'll be lucky we're not having to play them every season. I don't trust any other SEC coach to be a consistent "hard out" other than Saban/Jimbo so I like our potential to return to the heyday of the Fulmer era in the next 3-5 years.

When someone makes such a claim as "one of the greatest ….", the onus is on them to justify it, not for others to disprove it. However, since you asked such an easy question to answer.

Tiger won his 5th green jacket in 23 years. Many participants have greater accomplishments in other sports.
Roger Federer in tennis: something like 8 Wimbledons in 15 years (and we won't even talk about BJ King or Martina);
Earnhardt (man I hated that guy) in Nascar: 7 championships in 15 years; Petty: 7 Daytona 500 championships in 18 years;
Yankees: 6 WS championships in 24 years from 77 to 2000 (of course not counting their others)
and then there's UCLA with their 10 ships in 12 years and our Lady Vols with 8 ships in 22 years. (We'll try to ignore Saban and Bama.)

And I could go on and on. This is simply golf fans overstating an accomplishment in a sport they love by a player they admire. I realize some are impressed with Tiger. In his prime he drew me to watching more golf than I ever have. But seriously.

So it's one of the greatest accomplishments in golf. I mean, that's what you just described. Something that's only been done in golf twice has nothing to do with other sports.

I don’t know if I would state that it’s the greatest accomplishment I have ever seen. But you are missing the point about why it’s great. It’s not because he has 5 green jackets in 23 years. It’s because the things he went through to win 11 years after his last major. Witnesses will tell you he couldn’t walk from his chair to his car after one of his surgeries. He isn’t getting any younger.

Whether I think it was “the greatest” or not, it was pretty spectacular and fun to watch.

Well we have truly entered the forum wasteland now until August. I hope you all brought plenty of water and sunscreen as its going to be a mighty long trek. Some of you may not make it but know that there is glory at the end of the arduous journey that the brave may revel in!
With all this time on my hands I may just write a book.

Reactions: bignewt
I don’t know if I would state that it’s the greatest accomplishment I have ever seen. But you are missing the point about why it’s great. It’s not because he has 5 green jackets in 23 years. It’s because the things he went through to win 11 years after his last major. Witnesses will tell you he couldn’t walk from his chair to his car after one of his surgeries. He isn’t getting any younger.

Whether I think it was “the greatest” or not, it was pretty spectacular and fun to watch.

It really was. I wish that every major could be that compelling. I also love the new schedule with the PGA moved up to May. One major a month through the primary season is fantastic. Bookended by the TPC in March and Tour Championship/FedEx Cup to finish up in August. Perfect.

Last edited:
Reactions: VolGee4
It really was. I wish that every major could be that compelling. I also love the new schedule with the PGA moved up to May. One major a month through the primary seasons is fantastic. Bookended by the TPC in March and Tour Championship/FedEx Cup to finish up in August. Perfect.

And the FedEx St. Jude Classic is now a World Golf event, which should get Tiger here. I will make time to go for that.

Lol..Gotta love these as...I mean..guys..that tell everybody they don't know anything about a sport if they didn't play it at a high level. I will never able to hit them well, but even a hacker like me knows what shot a hole requires. It's like #16 at Augusta...anybody that has ever watched the masters knows that if you hit a good draw on that hole location, you are going to have a great shot at birdie or even an ace.
Without you fans, golf is a bunch of guys and ladies swinging at a tiny ball...some much better than others.

Reactions: Ulysees E. McGill
All this GoT talk, have any of you been paid to act?!?! Well I have, I've been on TV before. Ya'll acting like you know what it takes and you don't.

Stick to arguing about biscuits, only thing ya'll good at 'round here.

O&W Game: I was really impressed with JT, partly because he has put on some size and can throw a ball. But I've never been paid to play football or lift weights, so what do I know.

I was on the Cousin Tuny show when I was 3 and was paid in candy, so come at me brah. That experience makes a GoT expert.

Reactions: Ulysees E. McGill
Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back