Recruiting Forum Football Talk [RIP 9.3.2019]

Status
Not open for further replies.
View attachment 198227

I think the TN at FL matchup between offensive and defensive philosophies is going to be interesting this year. Last year we surrendered 24 points off of turnovers to Florida and gave them a safety which coincidentally exactly matched their margin of victory. In their respective roles, the masterminds of each side of the line of scrimmage for these two teams have a history of competing against each other over the course of their careers. Will we be far enough along in our rebuild to handle the swamp this year? Who will come out on top?

Stay tuned to the same Bat Time, same Bat Channel to find out !

I see VOL 'fans" who never post opinions but come out in droves when we lose a game/recruit, etc... Are they fans or trolls? Do some people just enjoy bitching about losses because you don't see them when we win big. I know people have noticed this besides me.
Both. Miserable "fans" and also trolls.

It’s virtually impossible to follow up a win like Kentucky with a great performance. That doesn’t mean we couldn’t have beat auburn but after a game like Kentucky... a team usually always plays its “B” game, at best. Auburn was just red hot and took advantage.

I hate more than anything “they just wanted it more” or “we didn’t compete”. That’s just silly to me.
This should be obvious even to those that never played T-ball. My husband which played basketball in high school said after the Kentucky that it would be hard for them to get physically and mentally ready for the next game especially after playing so late then having to play early. We didn't expect it to be that bad though.

Last edited:
Story time:

10 minutes ago, my wife reviewed my ten year old’s assignment on football. She said he did not do a good job, and that I wouldn’t like it. She passed it to me. After reading his comprehension of the game, which was fair, there was a prediction section.

He began with, “I predict Alabama will win again...” at which point, I tossed the assignment over my shoulder behind the sofa, arose from the TV show I was watching, picked up my keys and drove off on my motorcycle.

This was the correct response, right? Asking for... um... a friend

Should have burnt it or told him to shove it up his ... oh wait, that may be going a little too far :)

Yeah, sadly I think playing UK in the semi did us in. Maybe it's an excuse, maybe it's not...but that was the game. I bet the SEC wishes it had been the championship game too.

Our success in the NCAA will come down to turnovers, if we have 10 or less we'll be cutting nets. If we get over 10 then it's going to require us to have gotten the other team to turn it over more than us and we'll have to be making shots.

Auburn game we had too many turnovers and didn't force turnovers. We didn't even shoot badly and they didn't shoot lights out. But the fact they got 13 more shots up, and 8 more free throw attempts did us in. You really can't give a team that will shoot early and often 13 more shots in a game and hope to win.

I still can’t get over how poorly we played yesterday. I mean, we went a prolonged stretch where we lost the ability to dribble. Like, the most basic thing in basketball, we couldn’t do it.

Hopefully that’s out of our system. Forever

They also let Auburn be very "handsy" on us. They were banging with Grant down low. It's what we benefited from when Pearl was here. It's the Pitino and Huggins view of "I dare you to call every foul on us."

Reactions: SweetasSoda
I still can’t get over how poorly we played yesterday. I mean, we went a prolonged stretch where we lost the ability to dribble. Like, the most basic thing in basketball, we couldn’t do it.

Hopefully that’s out of our system. Forever
That's why I keep looking for excuses-- I didn't get to see the first part of the game (Church) I noticed that Walker was in there pretty early. Was there foul trouble? Sick? someone hurt? Grant and Admiral were no shows.

I see VOL 'fans" who never post opinions but come out in droves when we lose a game/recruit, etc... Are they fans or trolls? Do some people just enjoy bitching about losses because you don't see them when we win big. I know people have noticed this besides me.
eh. i mean some are. they're usually obvious.

some though are just frustrated at what they see, and they have an outlet to let out the frustrations....kinda theraputic for some.

has been for me at times. hyperoble is what it is in the immediate aftermath of a loss like that yesterday.

the good news, it was very quick turnaround from that game ending to the selections and bracket predictions.

so it was easy to have a "short memory" yesterday...lol.

Reactions: bparker
the problem yesterday provided was that you have now seen TN play at a really high level one day, Saturday against UK, and then immediately follow that up with a giant rotten egg 14 hours later. so for some, it'll having them asking the question, which one is the real UT? i think we probably know the answer to that, but for some, it will be justification to say "overrated"....fine w/me.

we put a whole lot of emotion, foucs, and physicality in to that UK game. some were even talking about it during the UK game that it may be very difficult for either UK or TN to beat Auburn because of how that game was being played.

but it happened, and it didn't look good.

the good news...we won't play anyone in our bracket that will require that level of emotional investment....and you know what i mean by that...rivalry game, rubber match with you most hated BBall rival in conf.....we just wont' play anyone that has that mental hurdle to get over...until we hopefully get to the 4th game and beyond....and even at that point, it will be less about the opponent, than it will be about the circumstance...only making 1 elite 8 and never a final four....

i like our bracket and i'm not scared of any of the teams in it. and i'm sure after what many saw yesteday, fewer teams are scared of us too, but that's fine.

gotta go play now.

"I want to improve my vision, balance and speed," Chandler said. "I want to develop my body more. I want to go out there and take my game to the next level. Like I said, I want to get better every day when we go out there. I have other great competitors in the room who are all going to pick my brain and we are going to keep pushing each other to get better."

This gets me pumped. Ty is going to carve up the SEC this season running to the right behind Darnell. These boys are motivated..

On a side note look how huge Trey Smith is.
View attachment 197648
Easily a first round pick if it wasn't for his unfortunate situation.

I like seeing that he doesn’t have much fat it’s all muscle. So whenever he gets cleared he can come in day 1 and won’t be out of shape. Last year he was at a disadvantage before he started playing in the fall.

People forget where we were four short years ago. Coach Barnes assembled this rag tag bunch of misfits that nobody wanted and made them into a top notch program that is capable of winning a game against any team in the country. Will they win it all? I don't know if they'll even make a sweet sixteen but I can tell you this team has made me smile a lot more than they've made me frown. Today was disappointing for many reasons but it doesn't take away from what these guys have accomplished.
This is the way I want to feel too. It may be the best team UT has ever had...with zilch to show for it.

Reactions: OrangenSC
If this team plays like it did Saturday then we are making an elite eight. If they play lime they did today then Cindy is beating us
This team can beat anybody in the tournament...This team can lose to anybody in the tournament.

Both statements are true. I hope they got their worst possible game out of their system yesterday. That was like watching a completely different team play...

Speaking of which, I really wish we could meet AU sometime in the Dance...I really want revenge on them now....bad.

Tennessee Chosen for “NCAA March Madness Confidential” - University of Tennessee Athletics

Turner Sports and CBS Sports' joint coverage of the NCAA Division I Men's Basketball Championship includes the return of "NCAA March Madness Confidential," providing exclusive, behind-the-scenes access to seven NCAA Tournament teams, including Tennessee.

The Volunteers are one of only seven teams selected for this year's Confidential series, joining Kentucky, Michigan, Houston, Nevada, Marquette and Murray State.

Production crews have been embedded with the teams since Selection Sunday and will chronicle their NCAA Tournament journeys.

Tennessee (29-5) departs Wednesday for Columbus, Ohio, where the second-seeded Vols will open tournament play against 15th-seeded Colgate Friday at 2:45 p.m. ET (CBS).

Tennessee's award-winning VFL Films unit also will provide in-depth multimedia coverage throughout UT's NCAA Tournament run, so Big Orange fans will have no shortage of outstanding content during The Big Dance.

Throughout the NCAA Tournament, features will run across multiple platforms – including studio coverage across TBS, CBS, TNT and truTV – with online distribution via the official @MarchMadness Twitter and Facebook pages, @MarchMadnessTV, NCAA.com and CBS Sports and Turner Sports social media accounts.

Fans also are encouraged to follow Tennessee's team accounts on Twitter and Instagram, @Vol_Hoops.

For the ninth consecutive year, Turner Sports and CBS Sports will provide live coverage of all 67 games from the 2019 NCAA Division I Men's Basketball Championship across four national television networks – TBS, CBS, TNT and truTV – and NCAA March Madness Live. This year's tournament tips off with the NCAA First Four™ on truTV on Tuesday, March 19, and Wednesday, March 20 (6 p.m., ET, both days).

CBS will broadcast this year's NCAA Final Four National Semifinals on Saturday, April 6, along with the National Championship on Monday, April 8.

Article on VQ about first 5 practices of spring, here's some of that...

SOME FINAL RAPID REACTIONS

*** Jahmir Johnson will be it the starting lineup in the fall. Will it be left tackle or left guard? The development of Wanya Morris will have a say in that, but so too will Jerome Carvin. The sophomore has been a fixture at left guard through five practices and is working his way into a real role. Can he grab a starting spot? How would that impact the right side of the line, where Nathan Niehaus has taken most reps at right tackle and 5-star Darnell Wright will arrive in the spring.

*** Don’t close the door on Trey Smith’s career. It remains unlikely Smith will factor in 2019, but Pruitt said the talented offensive lineman “plans to play football one day again.” Time will tell. Smith, who continues to battle blood clots, has been on the field all five days of practice, participating in conditioning work but no contact drills.

*** A player who has quietly had a very strong start to the spring: Junior wideout Josh Palmer. Conversely, a player who hasn’t generated a ton of just buzz yet: Safety Travon Flowers.

*** A couple guys who have flashed early but need a strong finish to become valuable contributors this fall: converted tight end turned defensive lineman Latrell Bumphus, freshman tight end Jackson Lowe and linebacker Shanon Reid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back