Recruiting Forum Football Talk [RIP 9.3.2019]

Status
Not open for further replies.
New 247 article on JG via Pruitt is pretty glowing. Says the game is really slowing down for him and he's been really smooth so far this Spring. Been working on quicker release and footwork for RPOs. Exactly what he should be working on.

Also says Chaney's offense will give him more control and he really wants to become a "master" of Chaney's offense.

Color me excited.

I actually think Helton was micromanaging JG too much even if he "simplified" the offense having to check with OC for everything would slow down play & decision making.

Chaney is the type that hands you the keys and says don't wreck it, then heads back inside. Helton was riding shotgun with the driver's safety teacher passenger side brake type.

Caught up as part of an investigation into a Miami nursing home overbilling CMS by $1 billion. The only government entity I'd hate to have on me more than the IRS is CMS. Toxic situation, and I would be surprised if Bruce was still around next year. His coaching staff implicated in 2 separate federal criminal investigations.

Ripping off the government is big bi'ness. Need to send these MFers to jail for life. Stealing from the public should have serious consequences, not "white collar" BS sentences.

Reactions: tntar heel
Are we talking any and all wealth/asset millionaires? A good portion of them aren't the superrich on yachts and private planes some imagine. Most are long-term savers with a lot of real estate equity and retirement savings. They drive used cars and keep no debts. They had a long term vision and executed the plan over decades. Maxed out the IRS 401k limit of 17+k a year and restricted to living on the rest, rather than what many do of deciding what they "need" to live on and work backwards until they are putting 5% into retirement and hoping for the best. The people above don't hope. They run the math and stick to it the best they can with discipline. Btw not speaking of myself, I am only half-disciplined...and half-YOLO.

Also, and this surprises many, but military retirees in there 40s or 50s can also have assets with present values over 1 million. Those retirement benefits are worth a ton. Even just 40k a year annuity for that many decades is valued at ~1 million+. Police in specific areas can get similar. I've heard of upstate NY cops getting some amazing packages. People that risk their lives earn a premium future value, as they should.

Honestly can't even remember the context of how it came up.. something with the whole scandal that broke yesterday. I posed the question, how many are there, which there was a pretty fast google result saying the US has 11M millionaires, but those don't count primary residency or something like that. Not sure about pensions/retirement packages.

Someone brought up Zuck being self-made. Then the topic veered (at least in my head) about what self-made means, and then I decided to just let it die because I don't want to get into a rich man/poor man talk on this board with all that's going on politically, because there's no way to divide economics and politics.

Don’t really see what they’re doing. They released Houston and now Berry, and traded Ford. I know they have to retool some things and get ready to pay Mahomes, but their D wasn’t exactly spectacular last season and doesn’t have any rising defensive stars of note.

Wow EB bleeds and nearly dies in KC and they do him like that? Fff that pisses me off. Profit over people. KC franchise is the enemy now, sorry MahHomies.

It's a business. People criticize Jerry Jones, but he has probably been too loyal to some of his stars.

I love EB. He has made alot of money but unfortunately hasn't stayed healthy.

Reactions: UTSuave’
Yes but how would that be measured? Wonder if there is an advanced stat for opponent fg% maybe? But yes Waters had over 4x the steals, sure that didn't hurt haha. Also had higher PeR. But I also think it really helped because he's also his team's best player by far. Bone's exposure has been buried under Grant and Admiral sadly.
The only real defensive stat is steals, so it would be subjective. I am not sure he is clearly the best player. Naz Reid is a very good player in his own right. But, I do agree that Grant and Admiral do get all the pub and exposure.

Reactions: SweetasSoda
New 247 article on JG via Pruitt is pretty glowing. Says the game is really slowing down for him and he's been really smooth so far this Spring. Been working on quicker release and footwork for RPOs. Exactly what he should be working on.

Also says Chaney's offense will give him more control and he really wants to become a "master" of Chaney's offense.

Color me excited.

Idk, I really missed those QB draws Helton would run. Considering JG is not really a "running QB".

Honestly can't even remember the context of how it came up.. something with the whole scandal that broke yesterday. I posed the question, how many are there, which there was a pretty fast google result saying the US has 11M millionaires, but those don't count primary residency or something like that. Not sure about pensions/retirement packages.

Someone brought up Zuck being self-made. Then the topic veered (at least in my head) about what self-made means, and then I decided to just let it die because I don't want to get into a rich man/poor man talk on this board with all that's going on politically, because there's no way to divide economics and politics.

Yup, "self-made" is a poor category title as Zuck examples. Did he and friends build something from the ground up? No doubt. But was he born with and came into extraordinaire opportunities? No doubt.

I don't really care about arguing over delineating all the variables, nor is there likely a simple answer at the end of the rainbow.

The only thing I truly dislike are the few egomaniacs that want to strip the world of all helping hands or structural support (publicly funded education, social safety nets, etc) because they claim "true" self-made status. According to their autobiographical mythology, they just grew up in a desert of isolation with nary a hand of support from a parent, friend, nor society. Never even used public roads, infrastructure, telecom, or human capital to succeed. They were just a rogue individual that invented or developed something and everyone else should do the same. These myths and ignorance of the pervasive support any person needs to succeed in life are the one thing that will bother me in this debate. Not political, just can't stand individuals externalizing their own experiences as what ought to be true in reality, especially when their perceived experience is a myth.

My understanding is 6th years are no longer a thing...? It used to be you could use 1 regular RS and 1 medical, right? Swore Callahan said medical RSs were done away with when the less restrictive redshirt rules came about.
There was a runner in the Indoor Track and Field Championships who was a 6th year senior that I saw last night.

Reactions: Devo182
The only real defensive stat is steals, so it would be subjective. I am not sure he is clearly the best player. Naz Reid is a very good player in his own right. But, I do agree that Grant and Admiral do get all the pub and exposure.

After digging around, there are a couple of advanced stats that try to capture defense. Both were found at sports-reference, a truly excellent site for basketball stats. 1 is defensive win shares (DWS) and the other is defensive box plus/minus (DBPM). Higher values are better for both.

Bone:
DWS: 1.4
DBPM: .3

Waters:
DWS: 1.6
DBPM: 2.8

Total margin: 2.7

Fwiw using their offensive counterparts, Bone has a total margin of .3.

This leads me back to thinking Bone edges him out on offense, but he edges Bone out a bit more on defense. It makes sense then that his PER is 22.0, while Bone's is 19.3.

Cumulatively, we are sort of splitting hairs here.

Reactions: drvenner
We badly need Solomon this year i hope hes able to play

Biggest recruit of the year regardless. I'm still in a bit of shock when I think back to his surprise announcement. He was my biggest want when I saw he was transferring, but thought no way in hell we'd actually get him. Just like Toots.

Cats are pets. Dogs are family.

Some truth to that, but we have 2 cats and 2 60# dogs that we all raised together from kitten and puppyhood. So we're a "pack". We walk a one mile circuit around our acreage (with our dogs off-leash) twice a day and half the time the cats come all the way around with us. The rest of the time the cats are off hunting gophers and mice.

Anybody think Vandy can pull off the shocker tonight with home town advantage? Can't imagine more than 20 Aggies fans traveled that far to see that team. A&M only 3.5 point favorites, but the Dores still suck.

imo Vandy is ready to give up on the season. They get down and stay down until A&M allows them to stand up and walk home.

Reactions: Billy Antrim
Anybody think Vandy can pull off the shocker tonight with home town advantage? Can't imagine more than 20 Aggies fans traveled that far to see that team. A&M only 3.5 point favorites, but the Dores still suck.

imo Vandy is ready to give up on the season. They get down and stay down until A&M allows them to stand up and walk home.

No and I hope they get beat by 60.!

Always be bias I agree, but what is being suggested is overwhelming bias for zero gain. AP voters and an LSU player? Doesn't even fit the "blueblood favoritism" model...what is the conspiracy now?

My PoV is some always want to blame others for shortcomings and that's a loser's mentality I don't buy into. Take responsibility and no excuses. What good does it do whining everytime something doesn't go our way? Just digs you deeper into an external blame mentality and just feels very childish.

just my .02. Don't really care, but it gets old with the constant boohooing sometimes. Like grow up, how do some people get through life?
Well..that is a dumb jerk mentality...

Because people are smart enough to acknowledge obvious bias does not make them "losers" or "childish whiners".

I have seen it so many times, in so many sports, and in games I had zero investment in, that I would have to be a fool or a liar to not acknowledge that it happens...a lot...but..

I agree that some do take it too far, but that doesn't make them always wrong.

Reactions: SweetasSoda
Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back