Recruiting Forum Football Talk [RIP 9.3.2019]

Status
Not open for further replies.
You’re acting like Barnes is working with chicken sh**. Grant, admiral, and bone are great players and that’s not all because of this staff. Great players come out no matter where they are.
I was actually speaking about all coaches even the ones at Duke, NC, Kansa, etc. They are automatically disqualified because they do their job by those standards.

I am a homer, that us why

I'm here, and I pick whatever cherries I want to. But why didn't you say that in the first place? This started with how happy some of you were that another team's coach won the award because he kneeled with his players and is a classy guy. None of that has anything to do with COTY.

You selectively leave out that @HankHill and I both said firstly that Davis was a great coach.

Also at no point did I ever comment on the kneeling incident, also Davis himself didn't kneel...what are you trying to argue/prove exactly?

Barnes won the award last year for goodness sake...he is also a finalist for the NCAA Coach of the year. Not like people are just ignoring what the team did this season...just so happens the AP felt Davis had a stronger season at Ole Miss.

Go bitch to the AP Panel who handed out the awards, being salty to other forum members is just stupid.

I didn't pick Davis, simply stating I can see the justification for it.
I ask a simple question. Was the kneeling the reason he won? Then I ask if being classy was qualifications? Knowing the AP that probably was. You were not simply stating the justification for the choice. You simply stated he was classy and took a loss well. A few posts later you mentioned his record. So stop being salty to other forum members that ask why you're happy for another team. That's just being stupid. Go Vols!

Last edited:
Cool to see Kermit succeeding on a bigger stage. He was a .500 guy at MTSU for a decade and then suddenly started winning 75 percent of his games at MTSU over a 7-8 year stretch.

Tennis coach at Texas. Looks like the scandal was about getting non academically eligible kids admitted to schools via bribes by "recruiting" them to non-revenue sports that they may or may not have even played in high school. Once they were admitted they would "quit" those sports but retain their admission to the schools.

Yeah, if affirmative action gets under your skin (no pun intended) this scandal should send you through the roof.

You selectively leave out that @HankHill and I both said firstly that Davis was a great coach.

Also at no point did I ever comment on the kneeling incident, also Davis himself didn't kneel...what are you trying to argue/prove exactly?

Barnes won the award last year for goodness sake...he is also a finalist for the NCAA Coach of the year. Not like people are just ignoring what the team did this season...just so happens the AP felt Davis had a stronger season at Ole Miss.
I read Hank's post. It sounded like the only difference between our coach and the other coach was the other coach supported his players kneeling. So I asked if that is why he won. Because our coach is a great coach and a classy guy also. I wanted to know if that is the reason he won when I as a Vol fan most assuredly think our great, classy coach deserved to win for the job he has done with these players and getting them to #1 despite the press and their love affair with Duke, KY, NC, etc. So he won because he won more than the previous year. So did Barnes, but he was supposed to. Got it.

Yeah, if affirmative action gets under your skin (no pun intended) this scandal should send you through the roof.
Wealth and Greed will get you every time. It's usually the people that have wealth, want more of it. It will be a slap on the wrist....no real time. A poor person steals some food...they may get killed.

Wealth and Greed will get you every time. It's usually the people that have wealth, want more of it. It will be a slap on the wrist....no real time. A poor person steals some food...they may get killed.

I always roll my eyes when I hear of the children of rich/connected people attending Ivy Leagues or other powerhouse schools. Most of those schools are extremely selective in their admissions processes. And while I'm sure there are plenty of well-to-do kids who get there with legit grades/test scores/extracurriculars, plenty of them get admitted via nepotism or outright bribery. And they often graduate while barely doing any work and ultimately end up in positions of power where they also barely do any work.

After spring practices/games are in the books there may be some adjustments to some of the early preseason rankings but for now here are 3 of the bigger named prognosticators and their initial views of how things could stack up relative to our schedule this year. (The number for UTC [Chattanooga] isn't real. 247 had their team talent ranked at 139 last year. They only had I think 6 players that had ratings but obviously that was more than most FCS teams). There's a lot of agreement in how teams stack up relatively speaking in Tier 1 and Tier 3 but no real consensus on Tier 2. The key takeaway is clearly ESPN loves us. That noted, what's your early guess on how we fare in each of the tiers?

View attachment 197429

LOL at initials "VD" for Vandy. Seems appropriate after their sex scandal under Snakehead.

Reactions: ChattaTNVol
I always roll my eyes when I hear of the children of rich/connected people attending Ivy Leagues or other powerhouse schools. Most of those schools are extremely selective in their admissions processes. And while I'm sure there are plenty of well-to-do kids who get there with legit grades/test scores/extracurriculars, plenty of them get admitted via nepotism or outright bribery. And they often graduate while barely doing any work and ultimately end up in positions of power where they also barely do any work.

Bastards. Btw, if anyone wants to pay me more for doing less, I'm in.

So he got COTY for kneeling?
No he got it coach of the year for being a good coach and he’s a good dude so I’m happy for him
Davis deserved it most, love Barnes but we were 26-9 (13-5) last season and returned our top 5 guys in production. Only lost James Daniel from a SEC Regular season championship team.

Davis inherited a 12-20 (5-13) Last in SEC team and went 20-11 (10-8) with the same roster plus a few contributing freshman he brought in. So he showed he could get more out of existing talent while also recruiting guys who could help out immediately.
I view it the same way. You could give the award to Saban, dabo, etc every year. I don’t believe in giving it to a coach for having a great year when he’s supposed to.
But Barnes is all that and took his 3*s to #1. You made it sound like that is what separated him from Barnes.
Barnes and TN were supposed to be great this year... we are. Idc what stars players were when recruited. I don’t believe The best coaching job in the conference or country should ever be given to a team/coach that was expected to be a great team and lived up to the hype.
I ask a simple question. Was the kneeling the reason he won? Then I ask if being classy was qualifications? Knowing the AP that probably was. You were not sumply stating the justification for the choice. You simply stated he was classy and took a loss well. A few posts later you mentioned his record. So stop being salty to other forum members that ask why you're happy for another team. That's just being stupid. Go Vols!

This is the order, my very first response pointed out the records and I thought very clearly highlighted why I felt Davis deserved it more. At no point did I ever say I was happy. I'm not sure why you keep asserting I said things I didn't when it's easy enough to re-read my replies.

Had we went undefeated or not lost since the Kansas game, then sure Barnes is a shoo-in despite us being predicted to be so great.

Maybe even with the Kansas loss and the Kentucky loss had we closed out strong.

But we finished 'poorly' by losing 3 late away games even though many expected us to lose.

Kermit was deserving, but my orange shades say Barnes.

Had we went undefeated or not lost since the Kansas game, then sure Barnes is a shoo-in despite us being predicted to be so great.

Maybe even with the Kansas loss and the Kentucky loss had we closed out strong.

But we finished 'poorly' by losing 3 late away games even though many expected us to lose.

Kermit was deserving, but my orange shades say Barnes.

I think the Auburn loss was why Barnes didn't get it honestly, last game of the season and a win gives us back-to-back regular season championships. It was a game with a lot on the line and we unfortunately lost it.

This is the order, my very first response pointed out the records and I thought very clearly highlighted why I felt Davis deserved it more. At no point did I ever say I was happy. I'm not sure why you keep asserting I said things I didn't when it's easy enough to re-read my replies.

She's already got her mind made up about your opinion.

Reactions: ODTVOL and MoCo_Vol
She's already got her mind made up about your opinion.

Appears that way. I would've voted for Barnes, but I don't get a vote. Davis was the 2nd choice, so him getting it doesn't surprised me.

I'm far happier that Grant rightfully won his 2nd SEC Player of the Year, once ESPN started buzzing PJ I thought the media would try and screw him out of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back